Any way to remove scratches from headlight glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've got a set of used headlights. The lenses are made of glass (not plastic) and they have some stone chips and scratches. The most annoying is that the surface is a little rough and looks like if you spray some paint on the headlights. However this is not paint, it's like "glass corrosion" or whatever.

Is there anyway to remove at least partially this "glass corroded" layer to make the glass clear? I'm looking for a cheap DIY to do it. There exist some kit out there that are supposed to do the job with special polish and finish but they are far too expensive. Is it possible to sand the surface of the glass? Any other recommended product to remove this "glass corrosion"?

Thanks

Being that glass is so hard,the only way I think it could be done is by spraying the light with a quality Polyurethane then let dry & wet sand with VERY fine sandpaper so that only the Polyurethane is filling the pits in the glass.Make sure You use a fine sanpaper as not to scratch the heck out of the glass then apply a coat of wax on the headlight.

If your headlights are made of glass, you can try an automotive glass polish. I know that Autoglym and Griot's Garage make one.

But most likely, you have plastic headlights like I do. There is a clear plastic polish I use called Plexus, and it works extremely well. Gets rid of clouding and minor swirls, but it won't cure any deep pits or scratches.

Hope that helps.

Flitz used to have a tv commercial advertizing a kit to buuf the head light lenses. The kit costs 19.95 plus S & H. Sam on Two Guys Garage says to use regular toothpaste and a soft terry cloth to buff out the scratches. Both of these were designed to be used on plastic head light lenses.

9c1 is on the right track...
the Eastwood site mentions 1) go REAL slow 2)keep water on the surface at all times 3) don't be in a hurry...

it is just like grinding a mirror for a small reflector telescope...it takes time and water...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back