Thanks and goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group III is not a real synthetic.
Put ATF in you gas to keep the injectors clean.
5W20 is too thin.
0WX is too thin.
Pennzoil is made from wax.
ATF will remove sludge.
I know that MMO cleaned my car.
Magnets can increase mileage.
I shouldn't pay for performance.
Oil should be priced exclusively on the cost of ingredients.
My oil needs more zinc.
A VOA will tell you everything that is in the addtive package.

I though that BITOG had become an authoritative source of information. Instead, I have begun to conclude that it is just another BB and it is no more authoritative than any other site. I'll check back from time to time. I might even throw my two cents-worth into the ring on occasion. However, I cannot continue to read myth presented as fact and then tolerated. I would like to say that I really appreciated what I learned on this site. I am thankful for the many discussions in which I had an opportunity to participate and to learn. I hope the best for all of you guys.

I did not want to climb onto a "high-horse" or rant from "soap box", but I did want to say goodbye. I didn't know how to explain my choice in a better way. I apologize if I offended anyone - that was not my intention.

For now, goodbye.

GMorg

cheers.gif

Take care GMorg. We appreciate your contributions. BITOG is going through a normal maturing process. I feel certain that BITOG will continue. Drop in anytime and check on us.

Have a good life,

Wayne AKA captain turbo, dodger, oldmoparguy, olmoparguy1, and some other handles as well.
grin.gif
thumbsup.gif
coffee.gif

Quote:

Put ATF in you gas to keep the injectors clean.
5W20 is too thin.
0WX is too thin.
Pennzoil is made from wax.
ATF will remove sludge.
I know that MMO cleaned my car.
Magnets can increase mileage.
I shouldn't pay for performance.
Oil should be priced exclusively on the cost of ingredients.
My oil needs more zinc.
A VOA will tell you everything that is in the addtive package.

While I can say I have heard all these things here, I have not seen any of them go much further without being corrected. Yes a few have their opinions and may throw their 2 cents in on every thread, but it does not make it right.
Heck, I used to believe a few of these but learned differently here, but I really learned that a Group III oil is not a real synthetic.
wink.gif
(I did not know what a Group III oil was when I came here).

GMorg,

Having joined this forum 1 year ago without knowing anything at all about oil, I can say that nothing on your list is valid with me. Meaning, that even though those myths persist they don't sink in to those dedicated to learning on this board.

Respectfully, I think you are off base in saying the BITOG is "no more authoritative than any other site." As Blupupher said, these myths get debunked time and time again. Maybe you are tired of hearing the same myths being debunked all the time, and I can understand that. However, I believe through the perserverance of the knowledgeable members on this board that it is still the authority on oil.

But that is just my 2 cents!

BITOG is only as good as its contributors. So what does that say about a person who knows all those myths are baloney and yet says he's not going to contribute here any longer?
confused.gif

I'm with Laminar Lou. I think that you're annoyed at recurring myths that popup repeatedly. It's not a set "class of 02" where there's a few pupils that refuse to get with the program. There's always a noob that comes here with loads of baggage from their past notions about oil.

I see it as veterans moving into the background more and allowing newer members to correct most of the myths. There's only so much stimulating debate to be had and you can get tired of rehashing the same thing for the 58th time. So you let someone else do it until they get too far astray. Most of us were there at one time.

..the curve flattens with most message boards and it's easy to forget the distance covered from the beginning of the trip.

If everyone who was interested in car care generally and motor oil specifically already knew all there was to know, then there really would be no need for such a site.

When I came here almost three years ago, I believed in the total supremacy of Mobil-1, that 5w-20 was inherently evil, that "dino" oils were nothing but a recipe for sludge and varnish, and so on.

I came here, and I learned something.

I'm certainly no professional tribologist, but I understand that others is similar states of being misinformed, will find this site too. You just have to go with it and understand that some will be more willing than others to see that their "cherished beliefs" are simply wrong.

Beyond that, I'd simply adopt the comments of Gary, G-Man, and LL as reflecting my own thoughts.

Go if you believe that's right for you, but you'll be missing a lot of fun.
cheers.gif

GMorg is spot on, I've said the exact same thing myself. Bitog isn't at all what it was when i first joined, but i still enjoy coming here.

This is a good site to dispel those myths [and others].
There are some sharp cookies around here.
Posting things like that as facts, quickly brings the piranhas swarming to viciously reduce the carcass to white bones.
Stick around - why diminish the gene pool by leaving?

Sniff, sniff. Another tug on the "BITOG nostalgia" heart strings? Not such a nice place with all the riff-raff and noobs around here anymore?

Puhleeez....
puke.gif

Quote:

GMorg is spot on, I've said the exact same thing myself. Bitog isn't at all what it was when i first joined, but i still enjoy coming here.

As did I in the same topic. Gmorg I sense your frustration. I don't have a solution (well I do but it would never fly) for the declining quality of information on this board. I'll continue weeding through the ever growing amount of senseless posts for the occasional nugget. Take care.

I'd like to think of it this way:

Perhaps the "noob noise" is an indication that more people are coming to learn about oil. I blame general laziness and a really lacking search engine for all of the same stuff being repeated all the time.

I never buy lottery tickets, but the Mega is like $250M right now so I bought one. The wife and I were talking about what we would do with the money if we won. It got me thinking about buying BITOG and putting some money into a decent search engine. Maybe building a SQL database and a java applet to allow people to enter their UOAs into. Then you could compare directly your wear numbers to other peopl e in your class based on ppm/mile and see how you rate. I'd invest into more testing of oil filters, fuel adds etc and share them on the site. I could buy a lot of lab time with lottery winnings
wink.gif

Of course I didn't tell the wife about my idea - she already thinks I am losing my mind with all this oil stuff.

(edited to add that I would fix the edit button too!)

Last edited:
We gonna miss you GMorg!

Come back often, even if you don't post any relevant reply to any postings, you are more than welcome to show your presence here just to let us know that you are "doing alright"...

Q.

GMorg,
personally I'd rather that you hung around...not many people are interested in mutant strawberries.

Well I just joined the site, so I can't compare it to how it "used to be" except for the fact that i've learned /a lot/ in the few weeks i've been here. Great site, and I hope to keep coming here for a LONG time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back