Thank you Trav!

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Had a chance to meet the man, the myth, the legend, BITOG’s very own @Trav yesterday.

Background: Boston visit with my daughter to see her, and to put snow tires on my her XC90. In looking over the car, I realized she’s put 4,000 miles on it, since August, so nearly 5,000 on the oil, since I started the HPL run after cleaning the engine sump and oil system this summer.

I won’t see the car again until late spring, and since this is a first run on HPL, I wanted a reasonably short interval. I had a few tools, some oil, and a new filter. But where to change it?

Enter Trav, who was kind enough to offer his help. We met at his brother’s house, another great guy, and got it done on his garage. Oil was very dark, though I know color means little, but since it is cleaning up carbon, I’m not surprised. Filter was very dark, with only a hint of carbon in the pleats. I didn’t cut it, as I was already taking up too much of their time.

So, a public “Thank You!” to @Trav and his brother for making a short interval possible, and helping a fellow BITOGer out!

Had a chance to meet the man, the myth, the legend, BITOG’s very own @Trav yesterday.

Background: Boston visit with my daughter to see her, and to put snow tires on my her XC90. In looking over the car, I realized she’s put 4,000 miles on it, since August, so nearly 5,000 on the oil, since I started the HPL run after cleaning the engine sump and oil system this summer.

I won’t see the car again until late spring, and since this is a first run on HPL, I wanted a reasonably short interval. I had a few tools, some oil, and a new filter. But where to change it?

Enter Trav, who was kind enough to offer his help. We met at his brother’s house, another great guy, and got it done on his garage. Oil was very dark, though I know color means little, but since it is cleaning up carbon, I’m not surprised. Filter was very dark, with only a hint of carbon in the pleats. I didn’t cut it, as I was already taking up too much of their time.

So, a public “Thank You!” to @Trav and his brother for making a short interval possible, and helping a fellow BITOGer out!
👏 👏 👏

Sure hope you asked Trav how he is in his sixties and his mind is as sharp a razor. He is doing something right and I sure would like to know what that is-----and how his memory is so strong.

I have found Trav fun to talk to. He cleaned a set of injectors fo an 08 Subaru Outback. We had a great conversation on the phone and I found myself wanting to meet him in person. It was during C19, so it didn’t happen.

The way the tread started, I thought it was going to be about tools, which I always enjoy.

Yes, thanks @Trav for providing a convenient place and lending a driveway for oil change. That is a great story.

@Astro14 I think you told me already but are you trying to clean up the daughters Volvo oil system and once it appears to be cleaned up allow longer oil drain intervals in between on hpl?

Yes, thanks @Trav for providing a convenient place and lending a driveway for oil change. That is a great story.

@Astro14 I think you told me already but are you trying to clean up the daughters Volvo oil system and once it appears to be cleaned up allow longer oil drain intervals in between on hpl?
That is exactly the idea. The engine had a surprising amount of carbon in it. The PCV system had been replaced twice, and had failed again (don’t ever use Uro parts on your Volvo, they are terrible, and I mean terrible as in fit poorly and then fail quickly ).

I replaced the whole PCV system, dropped the oil sump, cleaned the sump and block, replaced all the orings, reinstalled the sump, filled it with Mobil 1, idled, leak checked, ran LiquiMoly engine flush, drained the M1 and refilled with HPL. New filter installed with each oil change. Mahle makes a good filter.

That is exactly the idea. The engine had a surprising amount of carbon in it. The PCV system had been replaced twice, and had failed again (don’t ever use Uro parts on your Volvo, they are terrible, and I mean terrible as in fit poorly and then fail quickly ).

I replaced the whole PCV system, dropped the oil sump, cleaned the sump and block, replaced all the orings, reinstalled the sump, filled it with Mobil 1, idled, leak checked, ran LiquiMoly engine flush, drained the M1 and refilled with HPL. New filter installed with each oil change. Mahle makes a good filter.
Great plan 👍

I've seen that brand pop up when looking at parts lately I'm all for affordable parts but then they wouldn't be affordable if the fit and function was bad. Thanks for the heads up and I will avoid.

I vividly remember the post about your clogged oil drain holes that you've cleaned up. Nice work.

Happy to hear the daughter has good, reliable, and safe transportation due to your getting it in order for her. She has quite piled on the miles quickly.

Trav is a great resource. He's given me a lot of great advice over the years.

There used to a site that was seemingly short-lived called 4xRescue. I thought it was a great idea: users could register for a given area and if you needed help from a fellow 'wheeler for a trail repair, tow rig repair or trailer repair you could attempt to send the Bat Signal to local "friendlies"

I think @Astro14 should start this service for BITOGers on the road experiencing anxiety as they might exceed their OCI by 100 miles on a trip ;)

In all seriousness, I'd register to help :D

I have had to delete 8 copyright violations.
Do not post images of celebs, cartoon characters, etc which violate our Copyright policy.
Any more and this thread gets locked.

Back