Shell Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to mention this each time I see a Shell Gas post...

Citibank has a Shell Citi Mastercard
- 5 percent rebate on Shell gasoline
- 1 percent rebate on all other purchases

Makes Shell gas the cheapest around for me - 5% rebate all the time. Its applied towards the next month's balance. At $3.XX a gal, its over $.15 off each gallon.

I used to use shell because it was down the block were i used to live, now i use chevron 87 since its down the block.

SO if I'm using Shell,(or should I say top tier) is there any need to use any additives like techron or redline? Or is that going to run my engine clean?

Quote:

SO if I'm using Shell,(or should I say top tier) is there any need to use any additives like techron or redline? Or is that going to run my engine clean?

Let me say this about that :

I had some pinging appear last fall so I started using Top Tier gas continuously; mainly Shell, and many many tankfuls of V-Power. Even with the onset of cold weather and the use of expensive V-Power, the pinging got worse. I also used Petro Canada and Sunoco (both Top Tier in Canada) but nothing changed. It would still ping with 89 octane and only 91 octane or greater would stop it (even then I'd hear the occasional ping).

10 days ago I dumped an entire bottle of Redline SI-1 into the tank, filled it up with 89 octane and away I went. By the time that tank was gone, the pinging was also gone. So I refilled with 87 octane and dumped in 1/2 bottle of Redline SI-1 and when that tank was gone, I did that again. I'm now on 87 octane with no additive and there is zero pinging. Nothing. And there is a noticeable improvement in acceleration. All that in 10 days, 3 tanks of gas and 2 bottles of Redline.

In my case, Top Tier gas did absolutely nothing. Since Redline SI-1 cleared up the problem, and since SI-1 cleans injectors and deposits from intake valves, it must have been deposits that were causing the pinging (it usually is, but not always). But Top Tier gas is supposed to clean deposits also. Since pinging not only remained but got worse during several months of TT gas usage, I can only conclude that it was useless as a cleaner, and may even have added some deposits. As far as I'm concerned I wasted alot of money on "premium" TT gas. I think the "premium" designation was promoted by the Accounting Dept because 91 octane is almost 40 cents a gallon more expensive here than plain old regular. I could have bought a dozen bottles of Redline with the extra money I wasted on premium TT gas.

That's my experience. It does not mean that you will experience the same thing. We have different engines with different designs and different levels of deposits.

Phil

Last edited:
That's interesting. I'm not having any problems, but would like to keep my engine in top condition. TT in the 87 flavor doesn't cost me anymore around here so it's not a sacrifice for me to go there. However, Shell doesn't use ethanol where Kwik Trip does. So I prefer Shell for that reason. Same price at Shell unless I bump up the octane which there is no reason for me to do.

Quote:

Quote:

Let me say this about that :

I had some pinging appear last fall so I started using Top Tier gas continuously; mainly Shell, and many many tankfuls of V-Power. Even with the onset of cold weather and the use of expensive V-Power, the pinging got worse. I also used Petro Canada and Sunoco (both Top Tier in Canada) but nothing changed. It would still ping with 89 octane and only 91 octane or greater would stop it (even then I'd hear the occasional ping).

10 days ago I dumped an entire bottle of Redline SI-1 into the tank, filled it up with 89 octane and away I went. By the time that tank was gone, the pinging was also gone. So I refilled with 87 octane and dumped in 1/2 bottle of Redline SI-1 and when that tank was gone, I did that again. I'm now on 87 octane with no additive and there is zero pinging. Nothing. And there is a noticeable improvement in acceleration. All that in 10 days, 3 tanks of gas and 2 bottles of Redline.

In my case, Top Tier gas did absolutely nothing. Since Redline SI-1 cleared up the problem, and since SI-1 cleans injectors and deposits from intake valves, it must have been deposits that were causing the pinging (it usually is, but not always). But Top Tier gas is supposed to clean deposits also. Since pinging not only remained but got worse during several months of TT gas usage, I can only conclude that it was useless as a cleaner, and may even have added some deposits. As far as I'm concerned I wasted alot of money on "premium" TT gas. I think the "premium" designation was promoted by the Accounting Dept because 91 octane is almost 40 cents a gallon more expensive here than plain old regular. I could have bought a dozen bottles of Redline with the extra money I wasted on premium TT gas.

That's my experience. It does not mean that you will experience the same thing. We have different engines with different designs and different levels of deposits.

Phil

As you have stated in the other thread, you can't blame the gas in the last couple of tanks for making the pinging worse. The deposits were there in the first place.

I use Shell fuel in my MDS HEMI and I get on average 2mpg better than Esso or PC.

Well according to the latest official Top Tier retailers, Sonoco Canada is definately a Top Tier Gasoline retailer:
Top Tier

canada.gif

well that speaks to the quality of the gas, but not the quality of the detergents. I'll get some techron or redline for that.

Quote:

As you have stated in the other thread, you can't blame the gas in the last couple of tanks for making the pinging worse. The deposits were there in the first place.

I use Shell fuel in my MDS HEMI and I get on average 2mpg better than Esso or PC.

Yes, you're quite right - the deposits were there in the first place. I guess my hopes were that the extra cleaning power of TT gas would remove whatever deposits were causing pinging, and it didn't. I also didn't mean to single out Shell because Sunoco and Petro Canada gas was equally ineffective in my case.

I also realize that the cause could have been one leaky injector (deposit related) on one bank (V6). That would have caused the ECU to lean out that whole bank, causing 2 out of 3 cylinders to run super lean.

Thanks again for bringing up the EGR system. That system has never been really serviced on my engine.

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, you're quite right - the deposits were there in the first place. I guess my hopes were that the extra cleaning power of TT gas would remove whatever deposits were causing pinging, and it didn't. I also didn't mean to single out Shell because Sunoco and Petro Canada gas was equally ineffective in my case.

I also realize that the cause could have been one leaky injector (deposit related) on one bank (V6). That would have caused the ECU to lean out that whole bank, causing 2 out of 3 cylinders to run super lean.

Thanks again for bringing up the EGR system. That system has never been really serviced on my engine.

Take alittle time to take it off along with the tubes and clean them out with Throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush.

Made a huge difference on my Blazer.

Also check your rad cap, it can lead to your engine running a little higher than usual seeing the cap is not holding pressure and not keeping the boiling point high.

Quote:

Gas is Gas...EPA mandates and sez so So does the Maryland Comptroller's office.

The gas-itself may be very similar - but the additives each brand name station offers is different - plus the percentages are different.

When it's all said & done, some brands are better than others in the long haul.

Quote:

I try to mention this each time I see a Shell Gas post...

Citibank has a Shell Citi Mastercard
- 5 percent rebate on Shell gasoline
- 1 percent rebate on all other purchases

Makes Shell gas the cheapest around for me - 5% rebate all the time. Its applied towards the next month's balance. At $3.XX a gal, its over $.15 off each gallon.

SOLD, surfstar!

I've never had a problem with Shell gas and I use it because it's a TT that's readily available around here. I just applied for and was approved for a Shell M/C.

Gotta save
twocents.gif
where ever you can.

Quote:

Oh, yes, and both of those agencies have lots of authority at my local Shell
smirk.gif

It's blatantly obvious that different brands choose different additive/detergent packs as well as different percentages of oxygenating additives (ethanol, MTBE, whatever). The stickers on the pumps even demonstrate this.

Once you get around all of those differences, maybe "gas is gas" as you 'sez'. Unless you start to look at ppm of sulphur...

Quote:

Quote:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Heres yet another thing to consider.
I happend on to this while searching for the best premium gasoline for my 540i. I got into a discussion with the owner of a newly remodeled Shell station in town about TT gas. He showed me the spin on filter on each gas pump and told me how he changes them at least once a month. He also asked me if I'd ever been to a discount gas station, or any other station ftm, where the pumps operate slowly. I have and I'm not sure there is a connection between dirty gas pump filters and slow pump operation but I could see how that connection could be made.

A month later I see the kid at the local "Kwik-Fill" station with the pump apart changing receipt paper or something or another so I pull in and ask about the filters. He shows me the spin on filter which looks like a large spin on oil filter and he says "we never change them, look here and see." I look over at the filter and sure enough it had "1-06" written on it with permanent marker.

IS that bad? Are they made to be changed at certain time intervals? Do they even have an effect? Just my 2 cents.

Gas isn't gas, well not here. We don't even call it gas. Gas is LPG. Anyway there are big differences between brands here. Shell has the only 100 octane on the market, so that's the one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back