Warm up idling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Who needs tennis when there's a thread like this?

Haha!

What it comes down to is people can warm their car up if they want for however long they want, or people can drive their car right away from a cold start. Its their car and their life! Nobodys here whining about engine failure because they warmed their car up too long or not long enough.
People can keep their block heater plugged in for 12 hours, and people can keep them plugged in 30 minutes before they drive away. There is nobody here complaining about their burnt out block heater or their too-cold engine either.

Its everyday decisions that makes life interesting. If we all did the same thing we wouldnt have the need for this, or any forum.
smile.gif
(my peace making moment for the month,lol)

Quote:

I can't help but think that the ones who condemn warm-ups have no idea what's its like to jump in a car that's been sitting outside in 20 below temps overnight. Every breath you exhale turns to frost on the inside of the windshield, the seats are cold and hard, and every moving part of the vehicle is stiff and reluctant to move. I've had Honda gearshifters feel like I was stirring a pot of molasses. My Oldsmobile Calais automatic, which otherwise drove flawlessly, would sometimes take up to 10 seconds to shift into reverse. Who want's to jump right into a situation like this and drive? Having spent 17 years in Wyoming, seeing outdoor thermometers reach -60, I think I'll risk ruining my engine with a few minutes of warm-up. I may be best that we agree to disagree about this item, since I never once ruined a car by doing it, and the naysayers claim they're not hurting anything by not doing it. Nuff said.

Patman and I are from Canada. Please don't try to tell us what cold is. If my truck made any unusual noises in the cold I would let it idle. Since it doesn't I see no reason not to drive away. I am not sitting in the parking lot a work idling for 5-10 minutes. I want to get home and out of the cold!

Quote:

Quote:

I can't help but think that the ones who condemn warm-ups have no idea what's its like to jump in a car that's been sitting outside in 20 below temps overnight. Every breath you exhale turns to frost on the inside of the windshield, the seats are cold and hard, and every moving part of the vehicle is stiff and reluctant to move. I've had Honda gearshifters feel like I was stirring a pot of molasses. My Oldsmobile Calais automatic, which otherwise drove flawlessly, would sometimes take up to 10 seconds to shift into reverse. Who want's to jump right into a situation like this and drive? Having spent 17 years in Wyoming, seeing outdoor thermometers reach -60, I think I'll risk ruining my engine with a few minutes of warm-up. I may be best that we agree to disagree about this item, since I never once ruined a car by doing it, and the naysayers claim they're not hurting anything by not doing it. Nuff said.

Patman and I are from Canada. Please don't try to tell us what cold is. If my truck made any unusual noises in the cold I would let it idle. Since it doesn't I see no reason not to drive away. I am not sitting in the parking lot a work idling for 5-10 minutes. I want to get home and out of the cold!

I would talk like southern Ontario is the coldest place on the earth there. You are the southern most tip of Canada and actually 30% of the US is north of you.

Your area is 10-20 degrees cooler in the winter than the rest of the Canada so I would exactly think you can speak for all of canada and cold conditions.

Quote:

Quote:

Couple mistakes there, here is what I meant to say.

I wouldn't talk like southern Ontario is the coldest place on the earth in Canada. It is actually to tropics of Canada if you really want to check out the usualy temperatures. You are the southern most tip of Canada and actually 30% of the US is north of you, including most of Wyoming.

Your area is 10-20 degrees warmer in the winter than the rest of the Canada so I wouldn't exactly think you can speak for all of canada and cold conditions.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Idling has never damaged an engine. Stressing an engine without proper lubrication flow has caused damage.

Once again, where is this proof that you have that driving right away is causing so much damage? I've never heard of it.

How about the thousands of inner city cabs that idle their engines for hours a day. How about police cruisers. they never shut off their engines yet they get crazy high miles on them.

Yet they get 400,000 - 600,000 or more kms or more out of the engine.

They idle for hours and essentially never turn off the engine, but yet you are pushing some motion that 3 minutes of idling is damaging your engine.
dunno.gif

3 minutes of idling will NOT dilute the oil with fuel. Anyone saying that needs to grasp reality or change their PCV valve.
smirk.gif

You still aren't giving me proof that driving right away on a cold morning is damaging engines though! You're only giving me data on how cabs still last a long time even though they do lots of idling. So what? THAT STILL DOES NOT PROVE THAT DRIVING RIGHT AWAY ON A COLD MORNING IS DAMAGING ENGINES!

I have never once in this thread said that idling is destroying engines. I'm refuting your claims that NOT IDLING to warm up in cold weather damages them.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Idling has never damaged an engine. Stressing an engine without proper lubrication flow has caused damage.

Once again, where is this proof that you have that driving right away is causing so much damage? I've never heard of it.

How about the thousands of inner city cabs that idle their engines for hours a day. How about police cruisers. they never shut off their engines yet they get crazy high miles on them.

Yet they get 400,000 - 600,000 or more kms or more out of the engine.

They idle for hours and essentially never turn off the engine, but yet you are pushing some motion that 3 minutes of idling is damaging your engine.
dunno.gif

3 minutes of idling will NOT dilute the oil with fuel. Anyone saying that needs to grasp reality or change their PCV valve.
smirk.gif

You still aren't giving me proof that driving right away on a cold morning is damaging engines though! You're only giving me data on how cabs still last a long time even though they do lots of idling. So what? THAT STILL DOES NOT PROVE THAT DRIVING RIGHT AWAY ON A COLD MORNING IS DAMAGING ENGINES!

I have never once in this thread said that idling is destroying engines. I'm refuting your claims that NOT IDLING to warm up in cold weather damages them.

Yes you have, you stated that fuel dilution of the oil from oil causes wear on our engines.

This is directly why I stated that all these cabs and police cruisers sit and idle for hours upon hours with no problems yet you state that people warming their engines up will introduce gas into their oil and hurt their engine.

Face it, idling for 3-4 minutes will not harm your engine nor will it dilute the oil if you have a proper functioning PCV system.

All of my vehicles have made a racket if I drove away immediately.

The reason for the noise is because their isn't the proper lubrication throughout the engine. More noise, more wear.

80% of engine wear occurs on cold startup and you pushing some notion that pulling away immediately in cold weather doesn't do a thing is untrue.

Quote:

Yes you have, you stated that fuel dilution of the oil from oil causes wear on our engines.

Yes, and this is a fact that can be confirmed by oil analysis results on here too. But I didn't say it was destroying engines, as you claimed.

Once again, you keep saying that my method of starting and going is destroying engines, which is completely false. People do it every single day without a problem.

Quote:

80% of engine wear occurs on cold startup and you pushing some notion that pulling away immediately in cold weather doesn't do a thing is untrue.

Once again, my oil analysis results prove that I'm right. Where are your oil analysis results to prove your theories? All you have is an opinion with no proof to back it up. I've never owned a vehicle that made any strange engine noises when I started and went right away. Maybe you're using the wrong oil?

Quote:

Quote:

Once again, my oil analysis results prove that I'm right. Where are your oil analysis results to prove your theories? All you have is an opinion with no proof to back it up. I've never owned a vehicle that made any strange engine noises when I started and went right away. Maybe you're using the wrong oil?

Patman, your oil analysis on your Corvette which has enough power to idle up to 80km./h is not the end-all be-all proof that everyone should just drive off.

People have stated here that their engines are noisy if they do that and still saying that it is not causing problems which IT IS.

People have cars that require more than just 1500rpms to get up to speed and they will stress their engines more in the cold than your 350HP V8 corvette does. And people can't just always drive off normally and idle around for 3 minutes on the road before they can start revving their engine normally. Some people have a 60km/hr zone outside their front door and not a suburban street.

All I am saying is 3 minutes in the driveay and they can go, that is all. I am not saying 30 minutes or even 10 minutes, but comon, 3 minutes is a good middle ground to recommend and the 15 cents worth of fuel is not a waste. It gives you time to clear the snow and scrape the windshiedld and then drive off.

I use Esso XD3 0w30 so I am not using the wrong oil.

Your conditions are warm compared to most of Canada. Even here in Sudbury 5 hours north of you we get a lot colder conditions.

Sitting on the edge of Lake Ontario in Southern Ontario isn't exactly the area i would deem a stress test region.

Literally it's a small animal horn used to keep ink. You'd dip your feather or fountain pen's nib in there to write. And write. And write. And write. And write. And then write some more. Eventually you become the inkhorn, figuratively speaking.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

Literally it's a small animal horn used to keep ink. You'd dip your feather or fountain pen's nib in there to write. And write. And write. And write. And write. And then write some more. Eventually you become the inkhorn, figuratively speaking.
wink.gif

Point taken. I think we should just agree to disagree.

Hmm? I never disagreed on the possible need (for whatever reason -- be it cold butt, brittle fingers, icy windshield, or the freeway ramp at your driveway) of having to let the engine run for a couple minutes before driving off, if it's far below freezing.
wink.gif

Quote:

You know, I was thinking, they have seat heaters, but they don't have steering wheel heaters. Now that would be a nice thing to have.

I have actually wondered about that too.

They (VW, Audi and others, too) do have steering wheel heaters (as option). It was high time, too. I shudder at the thought of having to dig out my car in the morning in a blizzard. If I were to ever live again in a cold climate, the heated wheel is on my must-have list.

PS: Audi wants 850 bucks for the cold weather package with heated steering wheel. Oh well, I do like my fingers cozy...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would talk like southern Ontario is the coldest place on the earth there. You are the southern most tip of Canada and actually 30% of the US is north of you.

Your area is 10-20 degrees cooler in the winter than the rest of the Canada so I would exactly think you can speak for all of canada and cold conditions.

I live in peterborough, it gets super cold here. Before that I lived in Thunder bay. That lake superior wind is cold.
canada.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back