KNOCK SENSORS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't sure where to post this. Does anyone know if knock sensors ever wear out or just quit working? Or do they typically last the lifetime of the motor?

I had the understanding that the knock sensor was just a simple transducer and I can't imagine that it could wear out. It could fail just like stated above.

Knock sensors also don't work that well at the higher RPMs as I understand it. Too much total noise going on I think.

I have replaced my fair share of them over the years while working at GM dealerships over the years. I don't think it's that they "wear" out, they just get what I call heat fatigued. The heating/cooling cycle over time stress's the component much like happens in solid state electronic components and they eventually fail. Micro chips, transistors, diodes, etc... are not mechanical and they fail all the time due mostly to failure caused by the expanssion and contraction of the component everytime it goes through the heating/cooling cycle.

Quote:

They are known to be a problem on my 93 Maxima.

And all 95-99's as well, for whatever reason, poor nissan cant make a darn knock sensor..ohh well, the rest of the car is so good i cant complain about a 60$ sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back