Does Premium Gasoline Have More Energy Than Regular?

No, the BTU/lb of energy of 91-93 premium is the same as regular 87. (within MoE) The heavy aromatic content is slightly different (same concentration) to get the higher octane value. Distillation, flame speed, burn rate, vaporization, etc... all practically the same.

Regular vs Premium Pump Gas.jpeg

Reactions: twX
False on all of that. Again though it depends on how the octane rating is achieved. Once you are using an adjunct such as EtOH then you are also changing fundamental properties of the gasoline as expressed as a majority C-8 mixture.

The second part of your statement isn't true either. If the compression ratio stays the same as well as the ignition timing then a higher octane fuel will give the same power as a lower octane one. If the compression is increased or the timing advanced, then a higher octane fuel will be more efficient and yields more power per gram.

Don't confuse all of this with race fuels. I thought of that given your mention of 100 octane. Race fuels can be comprised of many compounds all of which do in fact change the combustion temperature, flame speed and other properties.

Yes. I was about to say that VP C25 is ~118 octane (R+M/2) and has a lower specific gravity and faster burn rate than regular 87 pump gas. Alcohols are weird and kinda do their own thing. Ethanol has a slower flame speed than gasoline but a faster burn rate. The high HoV also throws it off which is why getting an accurate octane value for ethanol or methanol in a CFR engine is practically impossible.

If you want to get the power potential of a given fuel, you can't look at the fuel's HoC alone. You have to factor in stoichiometry with a resulting value being in BTU per pound of air.

Say a fuel has 18,000 BTU/lb and stoich is 14.2:1. 18,000 / 14.2 = 1,267 BTU/lb of air
Say a fuel has 12,000 BTU/lb and stoich is 9.2:1. 12,000 / 9.2 = 1,304 BTU/lb of air

Which fuel do you think will make more power? ;)

Let's look at nitromethane with ~5,000 BTU/lb and 1.7:1 stoich. 5,000 / 1.7 = 2,941 BTU/lb of air.

Reactions: twX
No, the BTU/lb of energy of 91-93 premium is the same as regular 87. (within MoE) The heavy aromatic content is slightly different (same concentration) to get the higher octane value. Distillation, flame speed, burn rate, vaporization, etc... all practically the same.
@RDY4WAR
Thank you for posting the chart. My I cite the chart? May I have a link to more information if available?

Just be careful that although the terms are often thrown around as the same, pre-ignition knock and detonation are not the same thing. In fact detonation (if it occurs) happens after ignition, and usually after spark plug initiation.
Thanks I need to study up. My builder is a big proponent of methanol systems and although I have two I don’t understand how they allow the timing to be advanced on a FI tune.

1709763132951.jpg

No idea if the source is credible or if ethanol content in the regular fuel is different... or any other factors.

Never heard of energy expressed in BTU/lb. Joules, yes.

No idea if the source is credible or if ethanol content in the regular fuel is different... or any other factors.

Never heard of energy expressed in BTU/lb. Joules, yes.
Thank you for posting. I cannot find the same energy output anywhere as written in the intelligenthq article. The best available information I can find on the stored energy in regular gasoline comes to about 32 -34.4 Mj/liter. I've written to intelligenthq asking where they got the numbers for their article. For now, without a reviewable cite, I'm going to have to say their numbers are incorrect.

So you originally asked about energy per volume, but the equivalence is in mass. If by volume, premium has more energy per unit volume because of the higher density. But @RDY4WAR 's chart shows premium as being lower density, so I guess that point isn't clear.

However, unless I'm mistaken, isn't the overwhelming majority of the energy in gasoline in the hydrogen bonds? @RDY4WAR 's chart also shows a higher ratio of H to C in premium, which would mean more energy per unit.

The other possibility is that I'm being stupid about all of this, so feel free to dismiss this post as a semi-technical half-thought.

So you originally asked about energy per volume, but the equivalence is in mass. If by volume, premium has more energy per unit volume because of the higher density. But @RDY4WAR 's chart shows premium as being lower density, so I guess that point isn't clear.

However, unless I'm mistaken, isn't the overwhelming majority of the energy in gasoline in the hydrogen bonds? @RDY4WAR 's chart also shows a higher ratio of H to C in premium, which would mean more energy per unit.

The other possibility is that I'm being stupid about all of this, so feel free to dismiss this post as a semi-technical half-thought.
The old adage: Units are important.

Back