How long before we'll be seeing 0W15 and 0W10 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
With auto makers calling for thinner and thinner oils, I wondering how long before we are going to see an oil thinner than a 0W20? May sound crazy, but asking someone to believe there would be 0W20 30 years ago, and they would have thought you had lost your mind.
The real questions here are:
How long before we might me something thinner?
How thin is it possible to go?
Will we someday see a return to a single weight such
as a SAE 5wt for year around use? LOL
hornets_nest.gif

The only way we would go with 10 wt is in a constant viscosity (at specified temps). 4 centistokes is enough to lubricate present day automotive bearings. For comparison a 30 wt is about 10 centistokes at 210 F.

So really present terminology would have to be changed. I am lacking on the progress in constant viscosity fluids. But there are huge energy savings to be made in this area.

I think the oil won't go much thinner than 5W-20. It needs some viscosity to do it's job. The next step may be a synthetic "vehicle lifetime lubricant". It would not surprise me if there's one already developed. But with the oil industry so strong & powerful in the political arena, it wouldn't surprise some folks if it were "swept under the rug" until further notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back