Let’s talk about MMT octane boosters…

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think about MMT octane boosters? In particular, what about the reddish-brown deposits they leave behind?

Most of us already know that when the bottle says “increases octane 7 points” they mean going from 91 to 91.7.

I did some searches on this board and the net, and there is not much out there. One thing was clear: do not use MMT in any greater concentrations than the manufacturer’s recommendations.

Here is a good article: http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0503ec_octane_boosters_tested/index.html
This article is pretty positive. Their tests show considerable octane boosts.

And some basics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylcyclopentadienyl_Manganese_Tricarbonyl

When I use a bottle in my car, I can feel a noticeable difference. The car is smoother and has more pep. Throttle response seems better. It actually feels a bit better than when I mix in 4 gallons or so of 100 octane race gas. And a single bottle of MMT costs about the same, or even less, than one gallon of race gas (last time I got some race gas I paid $7.99/gallon).

But I am concerned about the deposits that MMT leaves behind. Are they cumulative? Will they keep building on top of each other, or will some equilibrium be reached? Will an Italian tune-up, a can of Techron, or water injection, remove them?

I’m also concerned about my rings. Each time a cylinder fires, some deposits will land on the pistons tops and the combustion chamber, where they will accumulate. But some deposits will land on the cylinder walls. The rings will scrape the cylinder walls clean, but will this act like sand paper on my rings? The effect would be small, but over thousands of miles, it could add up.

I have a bottle of “Prestone 0-60 Octane booster” and it says that it is safe to use in every tank. Not that I want to do that, but is it really that safe?

I know even less about the Ferosene octane boosters (see the article above). Do they leave deposits too?

FWIW, my owner's manual warns against the use of MMT additives:

"Fuels containing MMT can reduce the life of spark plugs and the performance of the emission control system may be affected."

Yes, ditto with my newly acquired Honda Fit 2007 owner's manual, specifying against gas with MMT in it.

The only widely publicised gasoline here that comes without MMT is Chevron. While Shell Canada and/or PetroCanada might have come w/o the addition of MMT (due to Top-tier Gasoline classifications), none of their corporate offices would reply to my inquiry RE: any MMT additives added to their gas in GVRD.

I'm pretty sure that Sunoco still has MMT in it up here and I pretty much run nothing but Sunoco in my Corvette. My plugs don't look bad at all when it's time to change them.

ARCO pioneered the heavy use of MMT back in the mid 70's as a replacement for lead to boost octane. In the condentrations they were using it was nearly as bad for clogging EGR valves and cats as lead was and they were forced to stop using it. I understand that Canada still uses the stuff, but in much lower concentrations.

I personally suffered greatly as a technician when ARCO used this stuff and I will do all I can to avoid it.

Big Jim-

We here on the PNW are constantly seeking out better, environmentally responsible companies to deal with. Chevron here has set the higher standard consiseantly (we have a local refinery which is 30kms away in GVRD)by forcing itself to become the first "top-tier" gasoline that satisfies Honda, Toyota, BMW and GM's calling on gasoline quality and additives. Moreover, it is also the first to outwardly states in all their GVRD fillup station that they are MMT-free (it's been at least 3 yrs). Now we are just waiting for all other gas companies to comply with MMT-free objectives and also the cutting down on sulphur content.

It's becoming unbearable that many bad practices still lingers on-- things such as MMT and MTBE which are environmentally destructive and health problems. Most annoying of all is that corporate greed has pretty much ruled over most of our daily lives and activities with consequences to follow. MMT is something that I've been critically aware of since 1995 and I've been avoiding it like a plague.

Yet there still some guys who would fall for them as OTC octane boosters and brands such as NOS, Pennzoil(noq Q-state) still churns out MMT-laden fuel additives as boosters. Funny how "environmentally-conscientious" they are ...?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back