Best way to thicken up my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a large stash of 5-10w 30 chevron oils that I used on a couple beater cars. The cars have some oil consumption issue nothing major. whats the beat way to thicken up my oil selection? should I add a quart of 20w 50 on the oil change or add some maxlife oil additive? I'm thinking one of those 2 options....Thanks for any input. BTW the 3 beaters calls for 5 and 10w 30

DELO SAE 40 or 15W40. The latter will be easier to find.
patriot.gif

Delo 15/40 - far cheaper than maxlife add.
I add for a beater Mazda B2200 and a Tercel.
I'd combine with the 5-30 for winter use. I even mix with 5-20 when I'm trying for more like a 30 weight.

I saw Maxlife Engine Protector for $2 a pint at Big Lots. That will thicken it up some, but 20w50 would probably thicken it more or maybe a straight 40 (NAPA has). But maybe not 20w50 or SAE 40 if it gets too cold in your area.

I recently mixed one quart of 20w-50 with 5w-30 Maxlife for my oil consuming Toyota Corolla. Too early to tell whether it actually will reduce consumption. Possible below 0 nighttime lows are forecast for Wednesday in my area so we shall see if it really hurts cold starting. It doesn't look like it will too much after putting the numbers in a viscosity calculator; likely a little better than an average conventional 10w-30 would do in sub zero temps.

If you have a nearby BigLots, go look for CD-2 Oil Stabilizer. It's the exact same product as Lucas but it's $2.50 instead of the silly price Lucas wants. It'll take you waaay beyond 20W50.

That's the only situation I'd use the stuff. And I have 4 bottles in my stash....

Quote:

I have a large stash of 5-10w 30 chevron oils that I used on a couple beater cars. The cars have some oil consumption issue nothing major. whats the beat way to thicken up my oil selection? should I add a quart of 20w 50 on the oil change or add some maxlife oil additive? I'm thinking one of those 2 options....Thanks for any input. BTW the 3 beaters calls for 5 and 10w 30

Fix the cause of the oil consumption instead of bandaid fixing the problem.

First thing would be to replace the PCV valve.

Quote:

Whats the beat way to thicken up my oil selection? should I add a quart of 20w 50 on the oil change or add some maxlife oil additive?

Least expensive way, or best way?

Least expensive, half-quart of SuperTech 20w50.

Best way, more viscous grade (40, 50, 20w50) of same brand/formulation.

Quote:

Fix the cause of the oil consumption instead of bandaid fixing the problem.

First thing would be to replace the PCV valve.

That would be the logical thing but he DID say they were beaters. That makes me think "mechanic in a can."

Do they still make STP Oil Treatment? Back in the 1960's, I didn't consider an oil change complete until I had added a can of STP to my Quaker State 10w-20w-40 Super Blend. That stuff looked like honey and poured like very thick molasses. In the 70's I began to use M1 when it came out, and have not used an additive since. In a worn out beater, I might consider this product to lessen consumption and maintain oil pressure.

STP was (is?) merely a VII polymer. You'd have done just as well buying 20W-50 in the first place. (actually better - you'd have saved whatever you spent on on the STP...)

Fixing oil consumption or leaks is always the best way. But, it isn't an option for everyone or for every vehicle. Sometimes a little oil snot, HM oils or converters, or thicker oil are preferred.

ANY of the oil honeys can be used. Look for clearance stuff.

Another option is a quart of 20w50 or 60wt(motorcycle or race oil). 40wt, IMO, isn't thick enough.

Pick the cheapest method depending on what is available(on sale) in your area.

Mixing some Chevron Supreme 20W-50 and your 5W-30 stash would seem to me to be an easy way to go: once you find the right mix...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back