best analog tire pressure gauge (or are same?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably will be having new tires installed this Saturday
on my 2005 Hyundai Elantra. Im finally dumping these mediocore
at best Michelin MXV4 plus with only 22,000 miles and replacing with the Yokohoma AVID TRZ.
I would like to purchase the most accurate analog tire gauge
for under 30.00? All the ones you buy for 3.99 in a auto
parts store just as accurate as the 30.00 ones?
Can you give me suggestions on the best gauge?
usa2.gif
usa2.gif

Restoration hardware actually sells a very nice dial gauge that is made in the USA< rubberized, and very high quality.

Otherwise, I like the monkey grip brand two-headed 'stick' type gauge. I have one that goes to 120, as my saab tires are specced to take 41 psi on the front... but Ive found that the stick/pencil type ones that have a real, square insert, as opposed to the thin rectangular type insert seem to be of higher qualiy and operate better with time. BTW, by insert, I mean the part that slides out to tell you the pressure.

JMH

Not sure if it's the "best" or not, but I'm pleased with the Accu-Gage tire pressure gauge I've had for probably close to 10 years now. You can see the model I'm using here:
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm/fa/p/pid/270/sc/2737

Do a Google search for "Accu-Gage" and you'll find other versions of this gauge, some with hoses some without. Looks like they even make some of the "pencil" gauges as well.

If you want to spend a bit more money, these Intercomp gauges look pretty nice:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=TIREPRESSGA

Quote:

at best Michelin MXV4 plus with only 22,000 miles and replacing with the Yokohoma AVID TRZ.
usa2.gif
usa2.gif

Any particular reason it has to be an analog gauge? The digital ones are more accurate.

I've got a digital and an analog and prefer the analog for its ease of use.

I've got a racing gauge from Longacre Racing that I've had for 15+ years. Just as accurate as my digital gauge (well, I have two digital gauges...), easy to use and read, nice bleeder valve, everything you could want.

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/catlist.asp?catid=8

Mine is an old version of model #5040.

The only downside I've heard of about dial gauges is they are more prone to giving inaccurate readings after being dropped. I've not experienced this myself but I've always resisted buying one after hearing that, I believe it was a test in a magazine and I don't remember what mag. it was. I've always used a stick gauge and had good luck but I don't even know what brand it is and I probably didn't pay much more than 3.99 for it. It gives very consistent readings.

Quote:

I have been using a Brookstone-labeled made-in-USA version of the G. H. Meiser H60X G.H. Meiser-made analogue dial gauges for many years, and it has given me years of excellent service. About it, I have no complaint. The Longacre Racing 5040 gauge that bretfraz links to looks as if it, too, is a rebadged Meiser.

In July, I thought I had lost my Meiser analogue dial gauge, and I did some heavy-duty research into replacements. When I was looking into such matters, I found many reviewers on Amazon.com and elsewhere who complained about the ubiquitous Accu-tire and Monkey Grip (which seem to be identical but for packaging) mainland Chinese gauges being hard to insert properly on the tire valve. Then I came across the really informative eight-page discussion on edmunds.com's CarSpace, here. In it, you will find everything you need to know.

Armed with that knowledge, I purchased a small digital gauge, model AU1101, from Campbell-Hausfeld, listed as model AU110100AV at the following URL; it was made in Taiwan to Campbell-Hausfeld specs. See this URL. At the time I purchased, the AU1102 model ($15.99 at the above URL) was temporarily out of stock (everywhere), so I "settled" for the AU1101, but to answer flinter's original question, the AU1102 probably is the "best [___] tire gauge" available, if you leave out the "analog" qualifier.

On the page linked above, Campbell-Hausfeld also has a "mini" analogue dial gauge. I must say that the Campbell-Hausfeld's insertion onto the tire valve is much easier and cleaner than with my Meiser analogue gauge (which the poltergeist kindly returned to me as soon as I had purchased a replacement for it), and the C-H yields a repeatable reading more consistently than the Meiser.

At the same time that I purchased my Campbell-Hausfeld gauge, I purchased from the same site a nifty 12-volt tire inflation pump that plugs into the cigar lighter of the car -- for $10.00! See this item. How did I ever live without it?
dunno.gif

Last edited:
No idea what's the best, *but*: The accuracy/consistency of a good quality pencil gauge is certainly good enough to keep your tires inflated properly, just remember that much depends on the user.
wink.gif

I have two Milton brand pencil-type gauges, one is at *least* 20 years old(maybe 25!), the other(identical model) is a year or three newer. I've always been reasonably careful with them, both still work very well. Why 2? Lost the first one, bought the other, then a few weeks later found the first one again!
blush.gif

When the 2nd one was new(OK, a few weeks old
grin.gif
), it & the older one read 1 psi apart. To this day, they *still* read 1 psi apart- no foolin'! I keep one in my car, the other in Mom's car. While I can't vouch for their absolute accuracy, and they certainly can't *both* be exactly accurate, they do both continue to give very consistent readings, & consistency is the key. Experiment with pressures a bit, & you'll quickly find the best cold pressure for *those* tires, on *your* car, using *this* gauge. Then stick with it. This will give you *much* better service than blindly following the tire shop's recommendation(which may be completely wrong for your car), or the mfg recommendation(ditto), etc. They get locked into a "one size fits all" pressure for a certain model of tire, no matter what size the tire or what it's on, & it just doesn't work that way in the real world. Correct pressure is a matter of load, & (mostly)what provides the best tire footprint.

Now, I like neat gadgets as much as the next guy, and if you want a nice new digital tire gauge & can affore the tarrif, I say go for it. It should serve you well, & the "cool factor" is way up there.

You can buy more high-$$ bells & whistles- but you can take equally good care of your tires with a decent consistent pencil gauge. My old Milton gauges are still doing just fine- but they *do* require that I use them!
laugh.gif

The one exception I'd make- those doing any kind of competitive racing may well need the extra accuracy of the uber-gauges. The rest of us are free to choose. Dunno what a good Milton costs these days, but I bet it's a lot less than $30.
cheers.gif

I've found poor sealing tire gauges seal better when the little rubber o-ring gasket is damp with water... or even spittle. Also wipe off the very tip of the valve stem for a clean interface.

i use quick car racing tire
cheers.gif
guage sells for 35 bucks....you get these at your high performance shop....we also use these guages at bandimeres speedway...excellent guages..i have 3 one with water

Clearly analog as they do not require batteries. A 2.5" to 3.0" gauge face , 4" hose with strain relief and rubber shock protector is best. Brand to look for at hi perf. mail order houses are QuikCar, Moroso or Intercomp. Choose a 0-60 lb. gauge which will cover just about all of your present and future tire needs.

Clearly analog as they do not require batteries. A 2.5" to 3.0" gauge face , 14" hose with strain relief and rubber shock protector is best. Brand to look for at hi perf. mail order houses are QuikCar, Moroso or Intercomp. Choose a 0-60 lb. gauge which will cover just about all of your present and future tire needs. (14" hose not 4" ...sorry for the typo!)
Newbombturk

Quote:

the AU1102 probably is the "best [___] tire gauge" available

From the description of the AU1102:
"Includes convenient feature that quickly tells you when your tire needs to be replaced."

I wonder what on earth that could be.

Quote:

Quote:

the AU1102 probably is the "best [___] tire gauge" available

From the description of the AU1102:
"Includes convenient feature that quickly tells you when your tire needs to be replaced."

I wonder what on earth that could be.

laugh.gif

I would guess that would be the integral Hyperbole.
cheers.gif

Actually, the AU1102 includes a tread depth gauge; when the tread is below a legal depth, then most state laws require the tire to be replaced, so probably that is the "convenient feature" described.

Quote:

is this a good one...i'm thinking of getting one of those sometime:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/AUM2343.htm

Hard to tell; that link does not provide a lot of information about precision, etc. One concern I would have about that gauge is that it appears to be "naked": analogue dial gauges are easily damaged by dropping them to the pavement, etc., and most therefore either come with, or offer as an accessory, a surrounding shock-absorbing rubber shield. For an illustration of what I mean, see the bottom of this page: G. H. Meiser & Co. Accu-Gage dial gauges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back