Tire pressure gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a hold of a lab gauge to check tire pressures and checked three gauges in my toolbox, 2 digital one analog. All were way off even the best digital. So I went on a quest for an accurate gauge. I went to dealers, auto parts stores and a tool supply store and checked about 50 gauges against the lab gauge that was calibrated the day we did the test and the lab guy went with us to another lab and we retested it. It was right on the button. Most gauges were really bad. The winner , accurate to the pound and repeatable was from NAPA, part number 90-391, an analog gauge with a short hose and a valve to air down the tire, that cost about $53.00. The digitals make you feel good, setting the tire to the exact pound but none were withing three pounds at 36psi. One fancy looking digital gauge was way off. When we aired a tire up to 36psi, the reference lab gauge read 48psi. So I dug a little deeper than expected and bought the analog gauge.

A lab gauge would be a master calibration gauge right? How much is considered way off? In my opinion if the gauges are +/- 1psi then its good enough for me. I believe there was a review that the Napa pencil gauges (90-389 and 90-378) rated excellent. From what I know gauges work best in the middle range so if you want say 30psi, then a 10-50 range is better than 20-120. By the way were there any pencil type gauges that were fairly accurate? Wish I had access to a calibration gauge so I could check them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some pencil gauges were accurate but not repeatable. The best digital gauges were off about 3 pounds, high but repeatable, the question if you buy one is how far off, and the performed on a curve, going gradually more or less off depending on the test pressure, again a problem when you buy one. Some analogs were repeatable but off and some of those were off about the same percentage up and down the range. The part number I mentioned was on the pound from 20 to 100 psi in 10psi increments, but it was about fifty bucks. So quality may cost more, but there was a digital that was over 25 bucks that was all over the place. The NAPA gauge I bought has a nice feature, the leak down valve, you just air up a few pounds over and bleed down to your target pressure. The reference gauge we used is way to expensive to consider and is delicate. It's used in a hydraulic repair shop and is said to cost about $300. I just started this thread to get come comments from others on their experience with tire pressure gauges.

Did you test any other NAPA gauges? I am curious how many of them are this accurate. I am using a pencil-style gauge for my class 8 truck, and I'm not sure of the accuracy.

I just had a PM done, and the pressures were reading at 110 from the shop. I told him 100, but I'm not sure if it was an error, or if one of our gauges is way off.

When you search for the part number on NAPA you don't enter the dash, i.e. 90391 not 90-391.

The way I would test to test a tire gauge if no access to a calibration gauge is to test a couple of tire gauges. For example, check tire pressure with 3 gauges and if one is off by 2psi or more then its no good. Probably not the best method but better than nothing.

You didn't get a chance to test anything from Longacre did you? I have been very impressed with their products but have been blindly trusting the tire gauge based on a AutoX champion's advice. It would be interesting to know how much off mine is on average.

Jon

Last edited:
I was going to ask about gauges because I stopped by my father's house today after checking my tire pressure. My pressure has remained constant with the same gauge over the last six weeks. I have a nitrogen fill in my tires and I am amazed at how well the pressure has maintained.

At any rate, I checked my tires again and they were at the levels I wanted (again), went to my father's house and used his CH digital gauge and it read 2.5 to 3 psi lower than my pencil gauge. All were on the low side of my reading. I have no idea which one is correct, but I've been using the same gauge, so it's constant.

In an effort to maximize my tread life and fuel efficiency, I want to get an accurate gauge but 53.00 seems a little steep...I've only got the one vehicle. Any recommendations? Still thinking about Lonnie's recommendation but again, if anyone has any others I'd like to see what my options are.

Great thread.

Just overfill the tires by 2-4psi and call it a day with a $10 digital gauge
smile.gif
If it calls for 30, and you run 34, you know you won't be under inflated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back