NAFTA did not work as billed

Status
Not open for further replies.
NAFTA has hurt living standards, think-tank says

Wed Sep 27, 2:14 PM ET

The North American Free Trade Agreement has lowered the standard of living for workers in the United States, Mexico and Canada, according to a new report.

Signed in 1994, the trade deal was touted as a win-win situation for all three signatories. But the Economic Policy Institute, a Washington think-tank, said that NAFTA has led to cuts in social spending and prompted wages to stagnate or even fall.

"Twelve years later, it is clear that the costs to workers outweighed the benefits in all three nations," the report said. "Workers' share of the gains from rising productivity fell and the proportion of income and wealth going to those at the very top of the economic pyramid grew."

In the United States, the promise of more jobs proved elusive, the study noted, with NAFTA contributing to the most anemic employment recovery in recent history.

Mexico's benefits from closer commercial ties with the United States also largely failed to materialize, the study found. There was a visible boost in employment, but much of it took place in very low-wage maquiladora industries.

As for Canada, its embrace of the regional free-trade agreement has led to severe cuts in social programs, EPI said, noting that government transfers to individuals had dropped from 11.5 percent of gross domestic product in 1994 to just 7.8 percent currently.

This post is geopolitical in nature, so just a reminder to anyone tempted to participate in this thread: if it gets out of hand it will be shut down.

"Government Think-Tank" or is it "Government Theiving-Brat-Tank"

200 years ago trade was limited to just the local markets due to lack of communications/transportation systems. With the invention of railroads and telegraph systems the market and potential trading partners soared making all those who particapated far wealthier. Today with the inventions of the Internet/Search engine and jet aircraft the market continues to expand at an exponential rate making all that particapate much more wealthier. 200 years ago one had a few thousand potential customers... Today one has about 4 billion... This is a good thing for peace/material well-being. If Man does not trade goods and services he will trade bullets and bombs.

Initially some high wage/low skilled people will be dispaced but as the new market rises in productivity and hence wealth, more trade occurs.

Not only do I support Global Free Trade... I support Galactic Free Trade. As a producer of widgets, why would I want to limit my potential customer base.

Until people start selling very close (but possibly dangerous) facsimiles of your widgets using YOUR name (reputation, liability,etc), made by rows of girls that look just right (not too pretty).....nothing at all wrong with free trade, but why is it that the USA are the only ones held to rules? And free trade will not work without some protection of intellectual property rights.

As much as I hate Microsoft, for example, they got the shaft by France and EU, simply because Europe couldn't compete. Drifting from NAFTA, but the USA should not be the sucker for the world. It seems like China and Brazil can erect all sorts of barriers......
feedtroll.gif
ufo.gif

I don't doubt the data Dan posted... what sort of a setup such as NAFTA has ever benefited those besides the super rich who are doing things only to profit temselves???

I also agree with pablo... we are made into the sucker, and in the long run, IMO, we are hurting ourselves... that said, even the corporations don't seem to mind giving IP to places like China, who wil not respect it... there is, I suppose, too much short term profit to be had, so keep the shareholders happy for now, dont worry much for later.

JMH

Socio-economic opinion.....

NAFTA did work. Created by an elite class and has benefited an elite class. Census Bureau statistics show the upper-crust have garnered an even larger portion of the economic pie.

So, all is well!!! Nothing to see here.. just move along.

But if you look at the data, you might see a lot of people with a whole lot more consumer debt than they did in 1994. "success" and "standard of living" are relative if youre financing them for show.

JMH

Pablo... GC is a close and possibly dangerous facsimile of Mobil 1... Let the consumer decide. Now if Castrol labeled GC as Mobile I... It would be OK.

I agree... Gov't-gun-backed trade barriers are evil... Free Trade agreements are not always free trade... But they are a good start... Sometimes one side of the "free trade" agreement gets the shaft but the barriers need to come down in order to have a peaceful/prosperous world.

(Just making a point with the GC/Mobil thing. I dont know which is better.)

You have to look at the demogrphics of the three countries to see if things like increasing healthcare costs might be affecting the outcome. The one thing that bothers me about so called free trade is that I still have to pay $20 or whatever customs brokerage fee each time I try to mail order something from the US, even if the item is exempt from tax.

Dont have to look at demographics...wages have declined consistently for middle class in the last 30years and nafta made it worse.

Dan

>>wages have declined consistently for middle class in the last 30years
Really?

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/AWIgrowth.html

Anyway, if free trade with Mexico and Canada is a bad thing, maybe free trade between the states is also bad. Heck, if we didn't allow free trade between individual counties our standard of living might shoot through the roof!

There were many, many promises that NAFTA would reduce illegal immigration.

Before anyone tells me I'm wrong--I've already gone back and looked at newspaper articles from the time period.

All I ever hear is that "giant sucking sound". And before you think I'm talking about the working girls in border towns, check the newspaper articles from the time.

Ok, here's how it broke down:

The NAFTA proponents promised a major reduction in illegal immigration.

The NAFTA opponents talked about a giant sucking sound. I think Ross Perot was the origin of that phrase.

NAFTA isn't the only agreement that has resulted in lower wages for many American workers. The other free trade agreements pushed world wide by the U.S. government (at the behest of big business) have had the same effect. One of the intended results of these agreements is to depress the wages of American workers as much as possible to the level of the average wage worldwide, so that its just as cheap for American business to use American labor as it is to use labor from Asia, South America, and Africa.

and everyone is supposed to buy a home with that pay.... and then they wonder why they can't sell heavily discounted houses at a time like this.

free swimming pools, $50,000 rebates, new viking appliances, they almost can't give some homes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back