Nearly 50% of men who have never flown or landed an airplane think they could safely land a passenger airplane

wwillson

Staff member
Out of 20,063 adults surveyed in the United States, nearly a third said they were “somewhat confident” or “very confident” that they could safely land a passenger airplane in an emergency, relying only on the assistance of air traffic control.

Almost half of the men who responded were confident they could do it, compared with 20 percent of the women. -source yougov poll
I find this to be stunning that anyone who has never flown or landed an airplane, thinks they have ANY chance of landing a passenger airplane. The chance is 0%, nobody from the survey group could possibly do it, ever, but 50% of the men think they can.... Just wow.

How can this possibly be?

I find this to be stunning that anyone who has never flown or landed an airplane, thinks they have ANY chance of landing a passenger airplane. The chance is 0%, nobody from the survey group could possibly do it, ever, but 50% of the men think they can.... Just wow.

How can this possibly be?
What makes you think the chance is 0%?

Because, as a flight instructor, I've flown with many people who have never flown and airplane and even in a single piston airplane, they are completely overwhelmed. If you put them in the seat of a transport category airplane, the complexity would kill them.

Because, as a flight instructor, I've flown with many people who have never flown and airplane and even in a single piston airplane, they are completely overwhelmed. If you put them in the seat of a transport category airplane, the complexity would kill them.
A single is completely different.

In a big commercial plane you turn on autopilot and have time to think.

In our new helicopters with 4 axis you could land the thing (hard) with the altitude knob.

A single is completely different.
Different how? A passenger jet would be less complex?

In a big commercial plane you turn on autopilot and have time to think.
If the autopilot were off and both pilots are incapacitated, you are nearly dead already. You'd likely arrive in the cockpit with the autopilot already on. Start thinking... Think some more, now what are you going to do?

We are talking about passenger jet.

How many air traffic controllers do you suppose have a type rating in the jet you happen to be trying to land? Or, if you are lucky and get a type rated pilot on the radio, do you really think you could land the airplane without ever landing an airplane before? No chance.

Very very lucky that he was able to bounce the airplane down the runway and get it stopped. That's a one in a 10,000 chance that he landed safely. I'm talking about a passenger jet.

The Cessna 208 is an incredibly docile airplane to fly. He's lucky he wasn't in something that's a bit more of a challenge to fly. Or worse, a Pitts, which is the hardest airplane to land I've ever flown. You pucker up every time you have to land a Pitts, they are a bear.

Last edited:
ATC could absolutely talk a layman through the use of autopilot to get the plane on the ground.
In the right conditions (good weather, no mechanical failures, enough fuel to plan and receive instructions, etc.) I fully believe this is possible depending on what you consider "layman." Someone that has familiarity with flight controls, physics and exposure to airplane cockpits whether through many hours of MS flight sim, or real life, I believe could safely land a commercial airplane with the guidance of ATC, or an experienced pilot on the line. Obviously not flying purely by hand / manually; most routine commercial flights on modern airplanes are (or can be) nearly 100% automated.

Because he is a private pilot and flight instructor who has flown a commercial passenger airplane simulator.

He has seen what it takes to fly a passenger plane. A 767.

And he has seen what the zero experience pilot brings to the table.

And he is absolutely correct.

Back