GOODYEAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the triple treds on my 2002 CRV and the comfort treds on my 2001 civic. Both are excellent tires. I personally could recommend either. I was a Michelin fan before I went to these, but Goodyear has an excellent tire with both of these. If I had to pick, I would like the Comfortreds better for your type of car. Road noise and ride will be great, and you'll still have excellent wet traction as well. However, in Chicago, the Tripletreds will give you better snow traction.

I dropped my car off for some work this morning and I asked the guy who works there about the Triple Treds. They sell Kelly, Yoko, Goodyear, etc. He said that both the Triple & Comfort treds are very good tires. He said they were pleasantly surprised by how good they actually are. I'm a year away from putting new tires on my wife's van and am considering the TripleTreds. If nothing else, they have a neat looking design.

I am normally a Michelin man. Because of much internet research, tried the Comfortreds and love them. The car is now extremely quiet. If quiet is the most important thing to you, get these. They handle and drive fine, and it too early to tell about rain and snow since I got them last week. And I am not just comparing old to new tires. The Michelin X-1s that I replaced have always been noisy.
I have Mich. Harmony's on my other car. They are probably a better long run tire, but I couldn't resist at least trying Goodyear.

Did the fuel economy change after installing the Comfortreds? I am considering them on my '04 Malibu LS (new style). I have the V-6 and drive 95% highway to commute to work and back. The car is great and averages 37 MPG (yes, I was shocked also, but it has continued this way for almost 3,000 miles since I bought it). I am thinking that thw switch from the factory Bridgestone 450s to the Comfortreds may cost me quite a bit in fuel economy. If it will only cost me a mile or 2 to the gallon I will buy them, mainly because the Bridgestones howl at all speeds and have only 18K on them.

Will, MPG change is too soon to report. I may have lost one MPG on the highway, but as I understand, that is a common complaint with a lot of new tires because the tread is softer than the old tires. I have kept MPG on this car since new and will let you know in a few weeks.
A quiet ride is more important to me than an MPG or two. My car gets 19 to 28 anyway and I drive about 11K a year. I now feel a little more relaxed when I arrive and I can hear CD and radio better. Also, passengers that normally ride with me have noticed, without me saying anything.
I can tell you that the Harmonys that replaced the Avid Tourings on the Buick have increased the MPG by at least one or two and lessend the noise.
I understand Goodyear has a 30 day trial on their tires. Should be enough time to tell. I don't know exactly what happens if you don't like them though, if they make you try another goodyear or refund and send you down the road. Unless my tires start vibrating or blowing out, I intend to keep them.

"I understand, that is a common complaint with a lot of new tires because the tread is softer than the old tires."

Ah....no....but it's complicated to explain.

First, tire mass = rolling resistance. That means a new tire will have more rolling resistance than a worn tire - everything else being the same.

Tread compound does have an effect on RR, but softer isn't a good way to visualize this. Think in terms of internal friction within the rubber matrix.

Hope this helps.

I have triple treads on my camry, and They are the best all-season passenger tire that I have used. I have never owned the comfort treads, so I can't compare them.

I came close to having TripleTreds. Ordered them over the phone to the local Discount Tire Co. When I showed up to my appointment they told me they accidentally sold them to someone with the same car. They offered a set of Michelin Destiny for the same price ($10 off per tire) and I took them. I guess I missed out
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by chiefsfan:
Jonny Z. I think you won. I would pick the Destiny over the Tripletred. Let us know how you like them.

There is not much to write home about. They are a little more noisy, and little poorer traction than the factory Toyo Proxus. But the Toyo's were bald at 20K (Tire Wear = 200, IIRC). I guess it is a compromise. I wonder of the TripeTred can out do the Destiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back