What is operating temp for oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different makes, models, age of car = different temperatures. Turbos will make it run hotter than others. I suppose there is a general, standard range, but it is probably rather wide. I'm no expert though. Perhaps someone else can give more specifics.

On my Caravan ..175-220 on the highway (highest temps) ..sorta indexed with ambient temp.

...but yours should NOW be about 195F
smile.gif

My Probe GT (2.5L v6) is generally around 195, though on the interstate at 70+ it stabilizes around 210.

This car has a factory oil "cooler", which is a water to oil intercooler, so it is pretty close to coolant temp.

If I just drive normally, my oil temperature in my 98 Corvette is usually around 190-200F. On the highway at a steady 80mph it'll creep up to around 205-210. If I drive it hard for a while, it'll creep up closer to 220-225. I don't recall ever seeing it higher than this, but I know if I were to road race it, the temps could easily go much higher.

Outside temperature does play a factor as well, although not by a huge amount (about 5-10F difference from a hot summer day to a cold winter day)

When the Corvettes first came out with their Oil Temp readout on the instrument cluster, I noticed that oil temp would closely parallel coolant temperature when things were fully warmed up. BUT where the difference came in with starting cold and then hitting the Interstate (moderate acceleration to legal speed limits), was that while engine temp came up in a few minutes (the first 2 minutes of operation from a cold start are where most of the exhaust emissions "happen"), the oil temp would come up much more slowly and take about 10 miles to reach engine coolant temperature (in about 70 degree F. ambient temps).

When I saw that issue with oil temp taking that long to reach coolant temp, I was reminded of the "Short Trip" orientation kicking out at 10 miles/trip/operation cycle--with relation to oil change intervals of old.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back