Give me your opinion, is my Altima worth putting money into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm starting a new job in January. 8 bucks an hour, about 60 hours a week for the first month anyway, more hours if I want them. I was thinking about getting my intake manifold gasket fixed when I get money from this job saved up, but then I got to thinking if the car is even worth it. I bought it back in September for $500. When I bought it, it had been sitting for a year, so there was pretty severe rust to the rear crossmembers. Three solid days of welding repaired them enough to pass a safety inspection. Who knows what else could be rusted out. At some point a few years ago, the car was involved in a rollover, the driver's door doesn't shut right, god knows what else was done to the frame and such, but it was repaired by professionals, the guy who had it before me had full coverage so his insurance paid for the repair. The guy bought the car in May 94 with 16400 kilometers on it, so I assume this was a demo or lease return or something of the sort, which makes me the second, possibly third owner. It currently has 360200 kms, approx 223000 miles on the odometer. I notice a few problems with the car, I hear a clunk sound whenever I press the gas quick or let it off quick, does that sound like a motor or tranny mount to you? I also hear a seperate noise sounding like it's coming from the suspension when I hit a bump. I think I might need a rear caliper sometime, I think it's sticking a bit, also my clutch is a little worn. I also should mention my instrument panel lights don't work, neither does my tach. That's about all I can think of right now, so reading all of this, do any of you think my car is worth putting the money into it to get the intake manifold gasket repaired? I hear stories from people on other forums that the repair can cost 500 dollars or more which would mean it would cost me probably 700 Canadian or so. If the car is really worth it, I will put that money into it, but if it turns out that the car isn't then I'll sell it or something and get something else. I had a Geo Metro back in the summer before I bought the Altima. I liked it quite a bit, I got over 30 mpg around town, even with a very worn out engine. Parts were cheap, tires were cheap and I found I actually had more room behind the wheel in the Geo than I do in the Altima.

[ December 23, 2004, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: 55 ]

quote:

Originally posted by oldman:
No, any possibility of gettng the GEO back? Good luck with the new job.

No? You think it's that far gone? I am 99.99 percent sure I'll never see my old Geo ever again, it was in even sadder shape than my Altima. It needed another engine, or at the very least a cylinder head. Compression was down to 140/140/90 dry. Shift linkage was worn, one rear shock, emergency brakes didn't hold at all, one front fender needed replacing and the clutch needed some adjustment. Heh, other than that it was nice.

sell it and look for something else?

look for an old car in otherwise good shape.

Save your money and drive the altima until it drives no more or becomes an unsafe vehicle. Someone gave my daughter a car one time and I kept putting money into it and it never stopped needing something else. keep looking something else will come up.

[ December 24, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: oldman ]

No matter which action you take ...a $500 repair is something that you have potential for in any car. It could be just off warranty and require something like that in a newer car. The only thing that has you going nuts is that you're doing it on a POS instead of something that "I can't afford not to" finer vehicle.

I'd go with the motor mount(s) or exhaust for your clunk.

Clunking could be CV joints as well. Other noise on bumps could be ball joints. How can you tell the intake manifold needs fixing?

quote:

Originally posted by Tones:
Clunking could be CV joints as well. Other noise on bumps could be ball joints. How can you tell the intake manifold needs fixing?

Intake manifold gasket failure is a common problem on older KA24DE's, I've been told. I've got just about every symptom of gasket failure, rough idle, poor gas mileage, lack of power, hissing sound coming from the spot where the gasket is falling apart, and I sometimes smell raw fuel coming from around that area. If I stick some putty on the spot where the hissing sound is coming from, the idle smoothes right out, so I know that's where the problem is.

Do you need the car for work (not just getting there?) How far is the commute? Do you have a backup plan if the car goes kaput? Are you at all mechanically inclined, would you like to learn?

As much a fan I am of the saying "Its cheaper to keep her" it might be time to let go what with the rear suspension rusting out.

Maybe you could buy a domestic vehicle with cheap parts (like, I dunno, my favorite, a saturn S-- and less to rust). Then the inevitable repairs might be a bit cheaper.

$500 buys a lot of putty. Perhaps you could find a more durable putty and keep trowling that on so it could get you through the winter-- then come spring you'll be in a better condition to buy something nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back