Anti-seize ... I Guess I Got My Moneys Worth…

Here's mine. It's about half full. It has to be ~40 years old (1980-ish). I grabbed it out of my father's repair shop and never returned it. I have to stir the contents when ever I use it (rarely). The brown snot is Permatex No. 1.

20230702_104308_resized_cropped.jpg

We used a product called Penetrox on high voltage connections . It kind of reminded me of anti-seize . One little blob the size of a nickel would end up covering your hands , your shirt , etc..
When I was in community collenge, I used to work summers at Hewlett-Packard in the model shop. What a bunch of comedians. Someone put a dab of Prussian Blue on the quill handle of a Bridgeport. After a few minutes the victim looked like a member of The Blue Man Crew.

A bloke near me is a Lt. in The Coast Guard Reserve. He teaches.

The subject of anti-seize came up (he comes 'round whenever I lift the hood of a car -God bless him) and I asked him if they used it on ships.
He said, "Are you kidding? We use it on everything."

I actually prefer the copper anti-seize, allegedly withstands higher temps (works better on manifold bolts in my experience) and doesn't clump up with age. It doesn't seem to "show up" on your hands a week later as much the silver stuff.
I use the copper stuff. Use it on my caliper pins too. Wears like iron. I have several shirts that still show it's use.

I always used he silver stuff until I found the copper. And found that as a electrical corrosion inhibitor. It's also made as a never-seize. Worked at an aluminum extruder that used huge electric heaters and they had Nickle based for the highest temp.

On Ford rear caliper pins the silicone stuff just won't last. The copper will be there for two or three years though the lube value goes down.

I forgot to post a picture of the code on the tube (you can kinda see it on the first picture. Can anyone decipher it?

Attachments

• IMG_3281.jpeg
    IMG_3281.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 6
I have a can of GM lubriplate that has followed me around for over 40 years. Can looks old and worn but the product looks like day one. I’ve used maybe a 1/4 of it.
I bought one can of Desitin fish-oil-based diaper rash cream. Used it on both my kids. Still have half the can. Will pass it down to whoever sires me a grandchild first.

Back