Anyone with a serious racing engine using Torco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to hear about your experience with it.

I have used 2 oils in the last 7 years, in a high end racing engine. Mobil 1, 5w-30, and Royal Purple 11, and 11 lite.

I've been happier with the Royal purple upon teardown, and inspection of parts, and cylinder bores.

When I ran Mobil 1, the valvetrain was much louder inside the car, through the helmet. But, the valvetrain didn't show any signs of wear, and there were no improvements in terms of wear with the RP. Just a noise difference in that area.

But in the end, I'm still thinking I could do better. I had considered adding a Moly additive from Schaeffers.

But this Torco is looking promising. It has lots of Moly and Tin.

Cost is no object.

We've used the first generation of Torco 10w-30 engine oil and gearbox oil on a 1989 Honda Civic 1.6L that was used for autocrossing and track days (no street driving). After 1/2 season we had a cracked head...mostly due to the team owner firing up the car and running it at full throttle after sitting for a long time.

We replaced the head and now run the "new bottle" Torco 5w-30 (Group 4 and 5 base oils and additives so says the bottle) with the "new" formula of MPZ. Torco is factory Yamalube used in Yamaha off road and marine applications, so most of their money and development is planted in that department. Torco does offer custom blends of base oil and MPZ, but at an extremely high price...I believe that a custom blend of 12-qt turbo diesel oil for one of the snowmobile teams was like $350, but they haven't changed it in three years using a bypass filter. You never know, but from what their chemists tell us is the MPZ is very effective at reducing wear and friction, but is so **** expensive that they put very little in the retail oils to reduce sticker cost.

Go for it, its a good street oil and a great race oil. You can find it for $5-$8 qt in most places.

-JamesW
SCCA Solo2/ProSolo
NASA HPDE

I have a friend that is using SAE50 Torco for Top Fuel Harley. I've never even seen it for sale around here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back