oil for new rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 11 second rebuild in the works and i decided to go with schaeffers dino oils.My question is would it be ok to use an oil with good amount of moly like shaeffers oil from the first start up braek in procedure? Because i read were you should not use oil with moly then i read that it is good to use.what are your recommendations.It is a roller cammed motor 3.8 turbo.
Thanks

With a roller cam, cam run in is not an issue. So what I would do for run in is fill it up with a good 30 weight or 10W30 oil and add a bottle of GM E.O.S. for the first several minutes of run in. I would be tempted to run the EOS for the first few weekends at the track to along with your oil of choice.

Thanks for your reply.So i guess i dont have to wait 3k miles till i switch to a synthetic blend.All i need to worry about is making shure i get into it a few times with a dino oil and the gm oil additive at the track to seat the rings,correct?

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
With a roller cam, cam run in is not an issue. So what I would do for run in is fill it up with a good 30 weight or 10W30 oil and add a bottle of GM E.O.S. for the first several minutes of run in. I would be tempted to run the EOS for the first few weekends at the track to along with your oil of choice.

Excuse my ignorance in this issue, but may I ask what GM E.O.S. is?
Can this be used in other engines requiring break in procedure. Especially the Gen III LS1 V-8.

Thank You,

Tony

GM E.O.S. is engine oil supplement. what exactly does this supplement contain?

Before I formulated a break-in oil for racing engines here is what I used:

25% or 1/4 by volume 20 weight or 20w20 ND oil (Citgo or Harvest King or Traveller brands) and 75% or 3/4 Schaeffer's 15W40 #700.

Don't know what is in the EOS but EOS has alot of it! For break in I usrean oil with alot of ntiwear additives to ease the hot spots on the metal as they break in.

quote:

Originally posted by dariel:
GM E.O.S. is engine oil supplement. what exactly does this supplement contain?

Did a google search and it supposedly contains large amounts of zddp, an antiwear additive. Makes sense on a engine breaking in to have as much of that as possible.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back