Advance Auto extended life antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that Advance has their house brand AF on sale this month. I did a search and basically all I found is that it is made by Prestone. I want to flush and fill the AF in my 02 Windstar that uses green extended life AF. Has anyone used this AF or know if I can use it in the Windstar. I usually use the green Zerex but can't find it anywhere anymore. Thanks for any help.

If it's made by Prestone (others have commented that it is based on conversations with Advance Auto store managers), then it's the same as Prestone extended-life and SuperTech extended life antifreeze. Except for dye color, it's also the same as Prestone's own GM licensed DEX-COOL antifreeze/coolant, so, if that's an issue for you, see my second recommendation below. I'd venture it's safe to use in your application, but your intention to do a full flush (chemicals NOT necessary if the old brew really is an extended-life product and drains clear) is wise just to be sure. For what it's worth I changed out the factory-fill coolant in my Hyundai Sonata with the SuperTech version last September - 11 months to the day with no problems and the engine runs invariably slightly south of the mid-point on the temperature gauge even when the car is pulling a 3% grade at 70 mph in 105+ degree heat, windows up, and my A/C set to blizzard mode.

If you're still unsure, there's always the fallback position: Zerex G-05. No one seems to have ever had problems with that choice. About $10.00/gallon at Pep Boys.

quote:

Frank D:
I see that Advance has their house brand AF on sale this month. I did a search and basically all I found is that it is made by Prestone. I want to flush and fill the AF in my 02 Windstar that uses green extended life AF. Has anyone used this AF or know if I can use it in the Windstar.

It's a DexCool type coolant.

I've had some correspondence with the Advance Auto Parts buyer about this. They're selling it as a universal coolant despite the fact that there are some systems where DexCool is a remarkably bad idea.

The factory fill should have been MotorCraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant, #VC-7-A. It's the same as Daimler-Chrysler's current Chrysler and Mercedes coolant.

The Zerex G-05 is also the same thing.

These coolants protect better against cavitation than the DexCool types. Ford, which also sells a DexCool compatible coolant (VC-2 "Specialty Orange Engine Coolant") recommends against the DexCool types in your car.

So, I'd head to Pep Boys for some G-05, or to a FOMOCO dealer, or a Chrysler dealer.

I see this isn't the stuff for the Windstar. I'll keep hunting for the green Zerex otherwise I'll have to switch to the G-05. Thanks for the help.

The owner's manual for the Windstar stays green and yellow antifreezes can't be mixed. My Windstar came from the factory with green longlife af which is why I am looking for the green Zerex.

quote:

Frank D:
The owner's manual for the Windstar stays green and yellow antifreezes can't be mixed. My Windstar came from the factory with green longlife af which is why I am looking for the green Zerex.

Ford Electric Vehicle Rangers and Mercury Cougars in 1999-2002 came with VC-2 Specialty Orange Engine Coolant, a DexCool clone. It is an OAT (organic acid technology). The Zerex replacement is Zerex Extreme Life, which is orange and DexCool compatible.

Except for these, every FOMOCO passenger vehicle 2002 and later came with VC-7-A Premium Gold Engine Coolant, a G-05 coolant like Mercedes and Chrysler use and similar to what BMW uses. It is a HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology). The Zerex replacement is Zerex G-05, which is yellow.

2001 and earlier, except for those with VC-2, came with a conventional green coolant. Valvoline, the maker of Zerex, recommends Zerex 5/100 for those 2001 and earlier vehicles. It is green.

Zerex makes two other conventional coolants that are green: MaxLife, which is aimed at older vehicles, and Zerex Pre-Charged, which is aimed at heavy duty diesel engines.

Color means nearly nothing. It came with an OAT, a HOAT, or conventional antifreeze.

The 2000 Cougar I bought for my son has the orange coolant in it. However the 2002 Windstar has GREEN (as in Pscholte's favorite color) coolant in it and the owner's manual talks about them having either green or yellow coolant and not to put green in with yellow or yellow in with green. I'll admit my eyes aren't what they used to be but I am not color blind yet, just blind.
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:

quote:

Frank D:

Ford Electric Vehicle Rangers and Mercury Cougars in 1999-2002 came with VC-2 Specialty Orange Engine Coolant, a DexCool clone. It is an OAT (organic acid technology). The Zerex replacement is Zerex Extreme Life, which is orange and DexCool compatible.

Except for these, every FOMOCO passenger vehicle 2002 and later came with VC-7-A Premium Gold Engine Coolant, a G-05 coolant like Mercedes and Chrysler use and similar to what BMW uses. It is a HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology). The Zerex replacement is Zerex G-05, which is yellow.

2001 and earlier, except for those with VC-2, came with a conventional green coolant. Valvoline, the maker of Zerex, recommends Zerex 5/100 for those 2001 and earlier vehicles. It is green.

Zerex makes two other conventional coolants that are green: MaxLife, which is aimed at older vehicles, and Zerex Pre-Charged, which is aimed at heavy duty diesel engines.

Color means nearly nothing. It came with an OAT, a HOAT, or conventional antifreeze.

I don't remember the exact years, but Ford F-series changed over a year before passengers cars did. I think it was 2002 to yellow for trucks and 2003 for passenger cars. It is very likely that the Windstar was green in 2002. I do know that my 2003 Escape has yellow coolant and that was the first year for Escapes.

quote:

Frank D:
The 2000 Cougar I bought for my son has the orange coolant in it. However the 2002 Windstar has GREEN (as in Pscholte's favorite color) coolant in it and the owner's manual talks about them having either green or yellow coolant and not to put green in with yellow or yellow in with green. ....

Mixing types is probably not a great idea outside of an emergency.

If it came with green in it (or someone topped off yellow with green making it green), you're still better off flushing it out and replacing it with G-05.

It's a low silicate nitrited HOAT that lasts longer than conventional coolants, is easier on seals, and is less sensitive to damage from low coolant than DexCool types.

-

Yeah Mickey, that sounds like the best way to go. It is getting a little difficult to find Zerex products lately in my area but I'll keep trying different auto parts stores. Are any of the NAPA branded AFs from Zerex? I'm thinking of the Valvoline oil connection.

i work at advance auto and our house brand antifreeze/coolant is made by prestone. its not a dexcool antifreeze like someone said. its green antifreeze, but its just made like the new prestone stuff that will work in anything. i agree that the factory G-05 would be the best fill but the advance stuff is fine.

ps. its not gonna be on sale next month so if you want it cheap, you better get it now. they are losing money on every gallon of antifreeze sold because its so cheap. but they did it to increase foot traffic in the stores.

That's wrong. The listed ingredients on the jug are:

"ethylene glycol (10-21-1), diethylene glycol (111-46-6), sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate (19766-89-3), and sodium neodecanoate (31548-27-3)".

Unless Prestone has changed the formula (the dye marker color is incidental and has no bearing on product performance) from when the jug I just got done checking was filled, the stuff your store sells (yes, green) is exactly the same formula as Prestone's own licensed GM Approved DEX-COOL formula (orange in color) - word for word and CAS # for CAS #. I have a feeling you may have been comparing your house brand extended life syrup to Havoline brand DEX-COOL - they differ slightly in the OAT used - Havoline's lists potassium 2-ethyl hexanoate, I believe. It's the 2EH portion that actually bonds to cooling system metals, so functionally, they're a wash. I have no idea what Prestone's additional OAT salt ingredient, sodium neodecanoate, accomplishes over and above the primary OAT salt.

than why does prestone advertise that their antifreeze works with "all years, all makes, all models" right on the bottle? i dont think they would put that on a bottle of dexcool because they still make dexcool specific antifreeze. maybe i just havent looked hard enough.

I'm pretty sure both Prestone and Havoline do claim on the jugs that their respective GM approved and licensed DEX-COOL products are applicable to any make and year engine. That's the claim - I realize there's considerable controversy among BITOGers and many professionals over the matter. My own three+ year experience with Havoline DEX-COOL (considered one of, if not the worst offenders) in a '96 Honda Accord 4-cylinder motor after a series of distilled water series of flushes went the distance without any issues - and Honda vehemently rails against the use of DEX-COOL in their motors. The only reason I can't report the results of four full years of DEX-COOL use in that Accord is because I totaled it.

quote:

ecu50:

than why does prestone advertise that their antifreeze works with "all years, all makes, all models" right on the bottle? ....

Probably due to their desire to make money.

I had some correspondence with an Advance Auto Parts buyer over this.

Here are some vehicles I would not use this stuff in:

Any vehicle prone to leaks.

Any vehicle that gets poor maintainence.

Any vehicle that has a diesel engine.

Any vehicle whose manufacturer recommends against DexCool and its clones (FOMOCO and Honda for two).

I think eventually Prestone is going to wind up with claims over engine and cooling system damage when vehicles for which this stuff is ill-suited begin developing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back