There is something in my coolant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed early last month that the coolant in my car (`96 Ford Contour 2.0L) was green, but had this strange orange tint. I did some investigating and found that apparently, even against my advice, the Dex-Cool that I had for my old GM and the regular green anti-freeze had been mixed and then I had topped off (Decemberish).

Anyway, two gallon capacity. I did a complete flush with distilled water then refilled with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Zerex G-05.

I have noticed that ever since the coolant flush (the car was taken to operating temp between each fill), the temperature guage reads a little higher then normal. Before the flush, if the car was warm and moving it would be stable at 195. If it was sitting with the heater on high, it would drop to 180. In heavy traffic, heater off, it would *sometimes* climb to 200. Ever since the flush, the car is warm at 210, idle with the heater is about 200 and traffic can be anything above 210.

Tonight when I got home, I glanced up at the temp guages and noticed that the coolant and trans temp guages were at 250! The fan was going as fast as it could, and with the auxiliary cooler, the trans shed its heat rather quickly. The engine stayed hot and never dropped below 210 (idling in the driveway with the heater on high).

I let the car cool off and tested the coolant/water mix to make sure I was 50/50. I am, but I noticed these little floaters in my coolant! Some are small, some are bigger. They look like, for lack of a better description, coarse fibers. I know they couldnt be with the flush being as good as it was. By the time I was done with I did the flush, the coolant coming out had almost no color tint to it whatsoever.

What could it be? Could the Dex-Cool have made deposits that are now just starting to break free? Since the flush I have had no coolant level drop, and even with the insane temps that the car saw, everything else appears to be normal. The coolant is where its supposed to be, and by a visual there is no coolant in the oil. I do have a oil sample that is getting sent off to Blackstone tomorrow to be able to stand behind my no coolant in oil theory. The car is still too warm to check the plugs to see if there is coolant there, but I doubt I would find any with my coolant level staying normal.

What could be wrong? What are the floaters? Why am I running hotter after a complete flush and refil?

mad.gif

Update. I pulled the plugs to check for signs of coolant in the cylinders. Nothing. I did do a regap of the plugs though it wasnt needed.

Anyway, just to see if it was a fluke or something I took it on my favorite twisty mountain road, which happens to be a few blocks from my house. Most cars cant keep it in third going up this road. Its the kind of road that makes brakes fail if you ride them and brings a smile to your face if you have a car that can handle.

Anyway, first time up (about three or so miles) the car only reached 210 so I went 1/3 of the way down and went back to the summit. By the time I reached the top I was past 230. Upset, I turned around and headed back down. By the bottom, I was at 195. I took roughly a 2 mile circle to cool my brakes off before I parked the car. Back on level ground I was back up at 230.

blush.gif
shocked.gif

why blame the dexcool? sounds to me that the car was doing fine before he dumped the coolent and flushed and put the green stuff back in.

I took the green coolent out of my 97 Pathfinder as soon as I bought it, flushed it and put Dexcool 60/40 mix. I flush once a year. NO problems whatsoever. Never runs hot. weather sitting in traffic or driving hard.

Except I am not using the green stuff. The Zerex G-05 is almost clear but with a slight gold tint.

The system is sealed so I have no radiator cap on the radiator. Its on the overflow tank.

quote:

Originally posted by ExDelayed:
Except I am not using the green stuff. The Zerex G-05 is almost clear but with a slight gold tint.

The system is sealed so I have no radiator cap on the radiator. Its on the overflow tank.

You have to clean it out anyway, so while you have it drained, pop off the radiator hoses so you can see your heater core and look into the thermostat housing on the engine. Keep in mind that what you see in the theremostat housing will be a lot nicer than in the block and head because the high coolant velocity keeps the housing relatively clean.

I can understand your frustration on this. I think, as mentioned, you need some serious chemical flushing. If there's enough quantity of these little floaters that you can see them, imagine how many there must be that you can't see! It seems like a significant portion of your radiator is blocked, so that it's cooling effectiveness is very much reduced. You may need to remove the radiator altogether and take it to someone who can properly clean it.

There is a long history of people having problems with crap in their cooling system when they mix DexCool with other coolants.

Can you see in your radiator well enough to see the ends of some of the tubes? Are the floaters partially blocking the tubes?

Do searches on Dexcool blockage and Dexcool problems. Many have gone before you.

You may need some significant chemical flushing
frown.gif

Or, your problem could be a more traditional cooling system problem like bad thermostat, colapsing radiator hose, blah, blah, etc.

quote:

Originally posted by ExDelayed:

quote:

Originally posted by Grey Rider:
You may need to remove the radiator altogether and take it to someone who can properly clean it.

Thats what I am afraid of.
frown.gif

If you are going to do any cooling system flushing yourself, do it before you get your radiator cleaned. You don't want's to break crud loose in you engine and have it end up in your newly cleaned radiator.

Backwards flush complete. New coolant/water in and everything looks like it is going to be fine. I took it on a test drive and the highest temp I saw was 210 but it dropped back to 180 quite quickly. I figured it was just the cooling system passing a bubble to the resivour.
smile.gif

Ill hit the interstate tomorrow and see how it does at higher speeds. Even at 75+ it would still level off at 230.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back