Leaf Springs Squeek

Status
Not open for further replies.
not really were to post this, so here we go....

it there any lubricant, oil, etc that I can spray on my leaf springs to make them quieter. They squeek over bumps

Worn shocks can aggravate leaf spring squeaking. The rear springs on my 79 Toyota were driving me nuts. Spray lube on them only lasted for a few days.New KYB shocks solved the problem and made the tuck handle MUCH better. Also:
Gear oil mixed with solvent can be squirted between the leaves. When the solvent evaporates it should leave a film of heavy duty lube in there.

After trying every lube under the sun, including greases, heavy oils, greases thinned with oil, etc., on various mechanisms, I now never use oil or grease on exposed parts. All it does is attract dirt and form a corrosive, abrasive slurry between parts. It will ruin parts faster than anything.

I only use dry films or sealing dry wax lubes on exposed mechanisms. The possible exception would be hitches and 5th wheel plates and the like, and there could still be some argument for using dry lubes there, it's just that no one has ever tried to.

On clean leaf springs I would hand burnish on some moly spray, then use Amsoil's totally unique Metal Protect HD spray. The only thing I've ever seen like Amsoil HD was hot dip chain wax which was a real pain to use. Not only that, it's really cheap considering the huge can. Since wear is not a problem on big leaf springs, I think you could still use a grease and never have a problem, though. In that case I would use "boat and trailer" waterproof grease. Sta-Lube makes some pretty gunky, sticky stuff.

Since you are probably not going to take your springs apart and clean them, I would first try some rust remover and really wash everything to get things clean. Once dry, use an anti-seize spray that has moly to condition the surfaces. Then finally some Amsoil HD, spray grease or heavy weight oil to further lube and seal things up a bit.

Tractor Supply and other houses sell a LUBRIPLATE product (paint, in gallon can) that has, I think, lithium in it to give lubricity to parts problems like springs, etc.

There is a fair amount of info on some of the 4WD boards about this subject.

Frankly, prepping a spring pack (dissassemble, clean, clean, clean) would be a lot of work. I'd look for teflon-impregnated leaf interliners as mentioned above. Maybe National Spring or Detroit Eaton would sell you some if not otherwise available.

Rolls-Royce at one time wrapped the rear leaf springs for Rolls and Bentleys in stitched leather sheathing to elliminate dirt intrusion and resultant noise. You might try that...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back