Rings stuck in grooves

so how did the logic jump occur that it was the rings or wd 40 giving you 0 compression?
I'm missing something.. getting a "does not compute" in my head.
Ha! I'm not computing either, matter of fact royally confused and frustrated. I have been told by several people that WD40 leaves a sticky residue. I do not know!. I DO KNOW it tried to start with ether, then gas but backfired both times so at that time I must have had compression of some amount. It won't run at 30 advanced so that is why it backfired, the dizzy was not exactly where it was removed. Did the explosion force the sticky carbon covered rings into the grooves? Don't know. Honestly I also do not know if all cylinders are the same just the 3 I checked. Just too cold to work out there today.

Like I said previously mechanic here said he has seen this MANY times and needs a piston soak down the ole spark hole. I have never run into this before but normally am able to change head gaskets button her up and get her started within a couple of hours. No biggie!

But he claims the carbon buildup I saw on the top of the pistons is also on the rings and it hardened, especially sitting open for a couple of months. He suggested his "mix" of 1 qt diesel fuel to 3 qts ATF. Works for him every time I would rather buy something made for this issue if possible.
Not only do I doubt that it “works for him every time”, I would distance myself from any advice he gave you. Diesel doesn’t dissolve carbon, and neither does ATF; however, either one WILL cause problems when burned along with gasoline.

You wouldn’t use a jackhammer to tighten the hinge screw on your eyeglasses, would you? Same idea with what that guy told you. Stick to chemicals and tools that are designed on purpose to achieve the goal you desire to achieve. 👍🏻

shine a light in spark plug hole verify pistons are all moving.. if so its obv.. something with the heads/timing/valves etc.

I just completed a head gasket change on a Ford 400 engine. I noticed the tops of the pistons were well carboned up when the heads were off. The engine sat for close to 2 months open BUT I did spray the walls down with wd40. After finishing I attempted to start and found I have no compression.

I was told by a Ford guy here that the rings have stuck into the grooves and is caused by the bad gas we are sold. He advised me to set the #1 piston 1/2 way down (the rest will then be about the same) and cover the tops of the pistons with a homemade cleaner he told me how to make. Is there a commercial product that will definitely work like B12 Chemtool or Miracle Mystery oil or a combination of something?

He tells me this is a real common problem yet I find very little information on the net regarding and the process to complete. Appreciate any feedback you might have or where to look next.
How did it run before the heads were pulled?

Not only do I doubt that it “works for him every time”, I would distance myself from any advice he gave you. Diesel doesn’t dissolve carbon, and neither does ATF; however, either one WILL cause problems when burned along with gasoline.

You wouldn’t use a jackhammer to tighten the hinge screw on your eyeglasses, would you? Same idea with what that guy told you. Stick to chemicals and tools that are designed on purpose to achieve the goal you desire to achieve. 👍🏻
(y)(y)(y)

WD-40 is made to displace water (WD = Water Displacing). It is not intended as a lubricant, long term rust protector , etc. It does what it is supposed to do very well but folks seem to think it is good for all kinds of other stuff.
Yeah. A write up a while back said it was specifically invented for the rocket program to remove water from electrical and other connections.

Personally have seen the Ford 351 & 400 M shuck a timing gear when starting. Cylinders where the valves are open will have zero compression. Some 289, 302 & 351 W engines would also bend the open valves when that happened.
Had to laugh when I read that. My grandparents had a 64 Ford country sedan with a 289 and 3 speed overdrive. My uncle took it to college, battery dead in middle of winter. He had someone help him tow start it, as soon as he let the clutch out, the timing chain skipped teeth, crashed valves and all kinds of carnage. It got a long block.

Back