Tin 0
Lead 7

50,000 sampled oil. Changed full flow filter
Alum 3
Iron 83
Copp 9
Tin 1
Lead 15

Silicon levels were low 8-9 through out all tests. Zinc went from 1100 to 1500 last test with TBN 9.1
I received the last sample report much too late (glitch with Blackstone) and I now have several more thousand miles on oil. Blackstone advised dumping the oil. I just changed the oil, went back to 15/40 Rotella T and OEM full flow filters. I did this as I will make 2 quick changes of oil and filter and with a 3rd fresh oil and filter change sample after 3,000 miles. I went back to factory system as changing Amsoil full flow and bypass 3 times is too expensive.
Truck runs very well, no smoke or undue noise, blow by normal, turbo feels OK, no rubbing that I can see on compressor side.

Think I have a bearing(s) going?? Comments please.
Thanks,
garyT

Hi,
garyT - what was;

a) the TBN
b) soot %
c) viscosity
d) flash point

at each sample point?

Donaldson ELF Synteq FF filters may be available for this engine - they are excellent products

Regards
Doug

I'd advise doing a particle count analysis through www.AVLube.com (a site sponsor), and working with George Morrison up there in Cinn. Mr. Morrison has a vast amount of experience with diesel engines and oil analysis and does fleet analysis for companies using Delvac 1300 and Delvac 1.

Tooslick

We need more information, beginning with what Doug is asking for. I can't get much of a "feel" for your situation with so little information. Si, air filter, etc help.

At least post the various UOA's in "standard" BiTOG format.

Zn increased? Lab anomaly or was this with new oil?

Dynoed at 325HP and 728Ft.Lbs.Torque.
Chipped, Aftermarket turbo housing and many other goodies.

Pabs, that is RWHP numbers. Highly modified engine. Probably running close to 40 PSI boost when stock is 20 PSI.

Yes the other numbers would be good, but from the engine Mods, this is not a normal grocery getter. Higher HP and boost from factory Specs can/will increase wear.

Thanks for all the replies.
I am not sure what 'standard' bitog format is and I tried to post up the Blackstone report but I could not get it on.

There was about 14,000 miles on this Amsoil syn Heavy Duty Diesel oil and 5,080 miles since 2nd last sample when both filters were changed, about 1/2 gallon of fresh oil was added then.

Alumminum is 2 to 3 in all samnples
Chromium is 2-3 in all samples
Iron as above
Copper is as above
Lead is as above
Tin is as above
Moly varies from 2 to 5 in last report
Nickel 1 in all reports except 3 in last
Mang is 1 throughout all reports
Silver 0 throughout
Titanium 0 throughout
Potassium 11 in 1st , 9 in second then 1-2 after
B0ron 7,237, then 0 to 2 after
Silicon,35,23, then 9 to 8 after
Sodium 4 to 2 throughout
Calcium 2693 1st,rising each time to final of 4775
Mg 10, 246, then 9-15 after
Phos 992 to 1281
Zinc 1106,1158,1255,1081,1151,1547
Barium 1 to 0 throughout
Last test:
sus viscosity=69-78
Flashpoint >415
Fuel< 2.0
Antifreeze 0
Water < 0.1
Insolubles < 0.8
Last TBN. 9.1
No soot tested
previous tests were very similar

When I dropped this oil I took another sample which I will send to Dyson.

As far as Mods: After market exhaust, aftermarket intake -Large Donaldson paper element.
Turbo compressor housing changed to ported shroud to stop turbo surge which is a turbo killer
Edge programmer=80 hp
Boost stays at stock 21 PSI. I actualy have a limiter to make sure of that.
I also have pre and post pyrometers to carefully monitor temps.
Other mods: Amsoil Dual Bypass, transmission and coolant filters.
This is a modified engine but in the world of Powerstroke Diesels not highly modified. Most of the mods are to make it more efficient and last longer. The Edge is the only real performance item and it is quite mild in the realm of programmers and chips.
These mods have been on the truck since the first 1000 miles and are the exact same modifications I had on my previous '99.5 PSD with over 98,000 miles and excellent UOA's to the day it was traded.
The truck is a daily driver with 3 1-2000 mile trips a year towing a 8,000 lb 5th wheel.

Again thanks, this is an excellent site and packed pull of helpful information.
BTW, my first vette was a '59 -new- then a '62, '67 and a '69. Yup I am a senior.

Thanks again.
garyT

garyT,
offtopic.gif

Thanks for the updated info. I was not sure that you had the boost limiter. I tow with both of my PSD's so I am really shy on high HP chips. Many do tow with them and have no problem. I guess age has me shackled on extensive upgrades.
smile.gif

garyT,

I will add a little more info on your truck:

Dynoed at 325HP and 728Ft.Lbs.Torque.
Chipped, Aftermarket turbo housing and many other goodies.

I would contact Dyson Analysis at www.dysonanalysis.com and have him interpret your results. Excellent service and he is familiar with these engines. Be sure to list your upgrades.

quote:

Turbo?

That is the way I would lean although I took off compressor housing and there is no rubbing, play seems to be normal, boost OK but again turbo would be my 1st choice. If levels continue I think I will pull it off and rebuild.
garyT

quote:

Originally posted by garyT:

quote:

Turbo?

That is the way I would lean although I took off compressor housing and there is no rubbing, play seems to be normal, boost OK but again turbo would be my 1st choice. If levels continue I think I will pull it off and rebuild.
garyT

that is my easiest guess.When the H.P. is increased the engine life is decreased. About 15 years ago I read an article in a trade magazine about the super high output diesels put in the off shore performance boats relating to the shortened engine life. Doug and Too Slick are right on in their posts."as usual"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back