Hard Braking Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, there were two times that i had to violently brake hard due to the car in the front and one because of the slippery road conditions. When i braked really hard (all the way to the floor), i hear some graunching, crushing noises. I wonder if this is normal since my truck is 2006 with only 1400 miles on it and has ABS.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Also, when i brake moderately or normal, my truck brakes normally and there isnt any vibrations.

I believe that its just the abs that's doing its job but i can be wrong. It looks like the rotors arent warped and the pads are still normal.

What you're describing sounds like normal ABS functioning. The first time you experience it, it seems like the car's going to fall apart. It usually doesn't...

It sure does... glad that you guys say it's normal. I thought my brake pads were gone for sure.

Thanks for the replies!! Happy holidays =)

Further, that noise and pedal feel are the ABS solenoids actuating...that is impending lock-up via high speed pulsations fed by info the wheel speed sensors give the ABS controller.

If the truck has an empty bed, the ABS may be kicking in a lot due to wheel hop and/or the light load on the wheels not giving any traction.

Back when ABS was just going mass-market in passenger cars, people got scared when this happened and let up on the brakes, which skewed data on whether or not ABS reduced crashes.

If you ever brake hard enough to activate the ABS, keep your foot on it until you are back under control. Just like any tool I advise people to ‘practice’ how their car reacts under different conditions. You know, go lock up the brakes a few times in the snow-covered church parking lot, as to desensitize you to what the car does…

Since it is my first owned car with ABS, i just wished someone had told me before so that i wouldnt lose my pants while braking very hard. Yes, i believe i heard the solenoids actuating... sounded alot like metals grinding or crushing together. Well, now i feel alot better and i can relax thanks to you guys' comments.

One tip I pass along to new car buyers is to keep the owner's manual in the bathroom for casual reading. You can learn a lot about your car from the manual, and after awhile you'll have read the whole booklet.

Owners manual in the private room bookshelf???? Geez, no room on the shelf because thats where the factory service manual, haynes, mitchell, and chiltons are stored.

I don't know what you guys do in the bathroom to be able to get through an owner's manual...

I have an '89 Volvo 740 wagon w/ ABS. Same experience during my first stop in snow - pedal leaping around and making bizarro noises. Feels VERY different from normal braking.

Good advice to try out the new ABS system in a church parking lot.

my wife does not quite understand the 800+ page Helms Acura manual taking most of the bathroom reading rack.

also worth noting that sometimes the pedal will sink quite a bit with ABS engaged. Some idjits didn't pull the seat far enough forward and couldn't hold the pedal down far enough and got into wrecks.

I get the same kind of grinding noise when the ABS kicks in if I attempt to lock up the wheels on my 2000 Subaru Outback. Actually when feasible (in snow, etc.), I try to make that happen once in a while so the hydraulic pump doesn't go for years without operating.
-Louis
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back