Teflon tape on oilpan drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't, but maybe it would help in loosening the plug at oil change. I figure the plug goes into the threads that have oil from the drain in it, and don't think it necessary.
dunno.gif

The seal on a drain plug isn't (typically) from the threads. It's from the flat of the washer/gasket being pressed against the pan. Just like most of your jars and stuff like that (the "gasket" is inside the lid).

Do I do this? Not unless the pan threads are toast. I've had to do this to the plug on the Legend.
mad.gif

The threads in the pan finally got wiped out after all these years. It would actually damage the threads on a new drain plug; made them look more like buttress threads than regular threads.

The plug would leak even with a new sealing washer.

I wrapped a huge amount of tape onto a Fram Sure-Drain and installed it. No leaks. Now I don't have to deal with making the leak worse by removing the plug. I just use the Sure-Drain. It sure is slow, though.
mad.gif

Some day when I feel ambitious, I'll replace the pan. Timing belt change is coming up.....

Even though I've always used a torque wrench on the plug, the previous owner apparently didn't. Curious....it took 4 years of routine (5k mile OCI's) to get the plug/pan to strip.

quote:

Originally posted by paulo57509:
Do I do this? Not unless the pan threads are toast. I've had to do this to the plug on the Legend.
mad.gif

The threads in the pan finally got wiped out after all these years. It would actually damage the threads on a new drain plug; made them look more like buttress threads than regular threads.

The plug would leak even with a new sealing washer.

I wrapped a huge amount of tape onto a Fram Sure-Drain and installed it. No leaks. Now I don't have to deal with making the leak worse by removing the plug. I just use the Sure-Drain. It sure is slow, though.
mad.gif

Some day when I feel ambitious, I'll replace the pan. Timing belt change is coming up.....

Even though I've always used a torque wrench on the plug, the previous owner apparently didn't. Curious....it took 4 years of routine (5k mile OCI's) to get the plug/pan to strip.

they sell oversized drain plugs to solve your problem. it would be alot cheaper and a ligimate repair.

I have pipe threads on the transfer case and tranny fill plugs, so I used a bit of Teflon pipe thread compound on the plugs. It seems to set up a bit, which was more reassuring than using tape.

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:
I have pipe threads on the transfer case and tranny fill plugs, so I used a bit of Teflon pipe thread compound on the plugs. It seems to set up a bit, which was more reassuring than using tape.

Agree! Teflon tape is not recommended for applications that see vibration as it can loosen up. It’s good for static applications like home plumbing.
smile.gif

No I don't do it. Two reasons why I wouldn't consider it. As pointed out, the threads don't seal, so it wouldn't help with sealing. Second, if some of the tape sheared off and started floating around in the oil it could cause other problems.

quote:

Originally posted by Big John:
Teflon tape is a lubricant not a sealer,most of what you wrap on there will be sheared off as you thread in the plug..

Lubricated threads also have a much stronger chance of overtightening & loosening from vibration.

If the plug leaks, you should install a drain valve like the Fumoto or the Fram sure drain useing some Loctite threadselant or Threadlocker to stop the leak.

Good Luck either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back