Where to buy crush washers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont mean the cardboard kind on an oil pan drain plug. I mean the metal kind thats on my truck differential, manual tranny, tranny pan, etc. I always reuse the cardboard ones with no problems. But I cant seem to find the metal ones anywhere. Pep boys dont have them. How does an auto parts store that sells ATF and gear oil not have crush washers? Does autozone have them? Anywhere online? I need 14 mm and 24 mm.

FL-400S I used them on my toyota and bmw. I just get them from the dealer. They are not very expensive and they have the right size.

dealer? That's where I get the aluminum crush washers for my Accord oil & transmission drain plugs. The oil drain plugs are given to me. They have a box of several hundred.

Many good independent auto parts stores carry them. The Dorman brand of misc. automotive hardware lists many sizes. You might have to take the used one in for comparison.

Another option is to buy a little plastic boxed kit of various sized copper washers from Harbor Freight for $5.99, which I've done. I'm a sucker for nice little assortments of useful hardware
smile.gif

Harbor Freight Copper Washer Item Page

John

quote:

Originally posted by benjamming:
dealer? That's where I get the aluminum crush washers for my Accord oil & transmission drain plugs. The oil drain plugs are given to me. They have a box of several hundred.

You've got a nice dealer. they charge 25 cents or 35 cents, at the two Honda dealers I go to.

My 95 GMC and 96 Corvette both have GM's version of Dowty washers. A steel washer with abonded on rubber seal in the center. So far the GMC one has 100,00+ miles and at least 16 oil changes on it and still looks good.

I found some drain plugs with a permanently attached rubber gasket.

Those are the kind I've been looking for--they last quite a long time and you don't have to bother with replacing the washer/gasket each time.

I've seen crush washers at Advance Auto..same place I found these drain plugs with the rubber gasket.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
My 95 GMC and 96 Corvette both have GM's version of Dowty washers. A steel washer with abonded on rubber seal in the center. So far the GMC one has 100,000+ miles and at least 16 oil changes on it and still looks good.

I spoke to soon, I changed the oil today and the rubber part came off the washer. The local NAPA store carries them in avariety of sizes. If the one I bought lasts 100k miles, I don't expect I will ever have to replace it
smile.gif

I called autozone and they said the only ones they have are copper (which is probably fine) but they dont have them in 24 mm size. Maybe I should just take the washer over there to size it. Except I dont want to drain the diff without knowing if I can get a replacement quickly. Hmm maybe I can just pull the fill plug and take that one over there to Napa.

You should pull the fill plug first anyhow. It's standard procedure. Think how foolish you'd look if you drained the diff, only to find the fill plug is stuck solid! It can happen easily. The fill plug is more prone to corrosion than the drain, which is always in contact with lubricant.

quote:

spoke to soon, I changed the oil today and the rubber part came off the washer.

A lot of the aftermarket bonded metal/rubber washers from the discount auto stores are trash with soft rubber. I had an original washer from Ford in the Explorer drain that lasted years, when it finally separated, I bought a discount store washer. That one lasted one oil change and then crapped out.

My '72 Plymouth 318 v8 drain plug has a nylon washer attached to the original drain plug. Its leak free after 32 years. I tighten it just snug plus a littleitty bit more.I'd go to the hardware store and nylon/plastic washer assortment.

My $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back