Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, my 2003 Toyota Matrix has about 14,300 miles on it now. The power steering fluid is looking rather brownish-black so I assume it's long overdue. How much will it cost, usually, to have it flushed and changed?

You might consider one of two alternatives.

I don't think your fluid should be truning black that soon. If it's still on warranty, try to get the dealer to see if there is a problem.

If you can't do that, here's the lazy mans way to change your fluid.

My Chevy PS holds 1.5 pints. It was real dark and smelled burnt with 41,000 miles on it.

Good news was the resevoir holds 1 of the 1.5 pints.

I emptied the resevoir with a turkey baster and refilled it with clean fluid, then drove the car for a day or so. Then repeated the process for a total of 4 resevoir empty-refill cycles.

Each empty-refill cycle left 1/3 of the old fluid in the system, so after 4 times I had

1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3 = 1/81 or about 1.25% of the original fluid in the system.

Cost was 2 qts of PS fluid and a $2 turkey baster.

The fluid is pretty nice now and I am running ARx for one final clean out when I have the rack off to replace the rack mount bushings in a about 1500 miles.

Long term plan is to change the oil in the resevoir at each 6,000 mile oil change if it looks like anything other than new fluid.

Use high quality fluid that meets Toyota's spec. If your fluid is bad at 14,300 miles your car is rough on the fluid.

Maybe it's all the city driving and parking... often I find myself from near full lock to full lock either way just to park in some tight spaces. I thought it turned dark rather soon myself. I called the dealer... $139.99 to flush and change the fluid!!!
shocked.gif

Is there any other way to flush it and change it besides the way you mentioned? Otherwise I might have to adopt your technique or get some sort of wet-vac and suck out the fluid from the reservoir and replace it.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:

Is there any other way to flush it and change it besides the way you mentioned? Otherwise I might have to adopt your technique or get some sort of wet-vac and suck out the fluid from the reservoir and replace it.

Stay off the stops when parking, back off as soon as you hit them and try not to hit them.

There are several writeups on the net that involve removing lines and buckets or temporary plumbing. They would be better. Google shall show you the way. Try:

power steering fluid flush hose

That will get you over 10,000 hits, many of which tell you how to flush your system. Google is your friend.

When I found out my resevoir held 2/3 of the fluid in the system I did it the easy way.

P/S Change Out:
My 02 Camry calls for Dexron III.
If your manual calls for Dexron III
put in Mobil One Synthetic Dexron III.

( $5.00 / Qt. @ "Auto Zone" )

Take a Turkey Baster and suck out all the fluid you can. Measure the amount taken out and replace with the same amount.
Repeat this procedure in six months,
thereafter once a year.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Yeah, I've been using the turkey baster method. Pretty easy, really cheap. The way I like all my projects to be.
grin.gif

If you want to do a flush instead of diluting the fluid, here's the way. You'll need a helper. The steps are rather simple.

1. Lift front tires off the ground.
2. Disconnect the return line, drain ps reservoir.
3. Plug open connection at the reservoir.
4. Secure the return line to a generously-sized container (at least one gallon). If needed, add a length of hose.
5. Fill reservoir.
6. Line up your bottles of new fluid for quick pouring.
Here comes the fun part...
7. Have helper turn car on, and immediately have him go through full range of steering motion (left and right) and shut off car, all the while you are trying to keep the reservoir filled.
8. Button everything back up.
9. Clean up mess.
10. Top off fluid.

The front tires must be off the ground so the system is unloaded, otherwise a lot of fluid is pumped out wit a lot of force. The return line must be secured to prevent a big mess. Keep at least a gallon of ps fluid on hand. The helper must know what they are doing.

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by tmorris1:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3 = 1/81 or about 1.25% of the original fluid in the system

I think your math is questionable.

And the problem is?

I think you meant 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 4/3 = 133%.
It would be a waste of time to change out only 1.25% of your fluid.
I didn't mean any disrespect.

Sorry XS650, I read your post wrong. YOU ARE CORRECT! I read it as 1.25% new fluid in the system, sorry. I should read closer next time. Please disregard the previous post.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
If you want to do a flush instead of diluting the fluid, here's the way. You'll need a helper. The steps are rather simple.

1. Lift front tires off the ground.
2. Disconnect the return line, drain ps reservoir.
3. Plug open connection at the reservoir.
4. Secure the return line to a generously-sized container (at least one gallon). If needed, add a length of hose.
5. Fill reservoir.
6. Line up your bottles of new fluid for quick pouring.
Here comes the fun part...
7. Have helper turn car on, and immediately have him go through full range of steering motion (left and right) and shut off car, all the while you are trying to keep the reservoir filled.
8. Button everything back up.
9. Clean up mess.
10. Top off fluid.

The front tires must be off the ground so the system is unloaded, otherwise a lot of fluid is pumped out wit a lot of force. The return line must be secured to prevent a big mess. Keep at least a gallon of ps fluid on hand. The helper must know what they are doing.

I'll have to try this method the next time, when I order a service manual. I know, I should already have one by now...

Anyway, so you guys are saying that I can open up the reservoir, suck out as much as I can with a turkey baster, then replace it? And I do this once every day for four days to get as much out of the system?

Please advise, I'm going to begin this after work today. I appreciate it, everyone!

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:
Anyway, so you guys are saying that I can open up the reservoir, suck out as much as I can with a turkey baster, then replace it? And I do this once every day for four days to get as much out of the system?

cool.gif
That's what I did, seemed to work okay. Now I'm in the habit of doing it just once every oil change.
smile.gif

His math is correct, but his reasoning is not...

First dilution leaves 66% old fluid
Second leaves 44%
Third leaves 30%
fourth leaves 20%

By my calculations, you would have to dilute it 11 times at 1/3 capacity each time to reach less than 1.25% concentration of old fluid.

No, his reasoning IS okay. If you reread his post, he says that he LEAVES 1/3 of the fluid, meaning he removes 2/3.

So it's more like 33%, 11%, 4%, 1%.

Not bad numbers and looks rather attractive if you want to avoid the pain in using the flush method I posted.

I used the SX650 method he listed above, too. Every morning I'd use the baster and remove most of the fluid in the reservoir and replace to just below the "Full Cold" mark. Did this for about a week and replaced 2 1/2 quarts of a 3 litre system. It's pretty **** clean, clear/pink fluid now for the cost of a $1 Turkey Baster from Dollar General and 3 $1.75 or whatever quarts of Dexron or whatever the fluid was.

Now I'm wondering if the taste of the PS Fluid left on the baster will improve the Thanksgiving Turkey or make it worse. I'll let you guys know.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
No, his reasoning IS okay. If you reread his post, he says that he LEAVES 1/3 of the fluid, meaning he removes 2/3.

So it's more like 33%, 11%, 4%, 1%.

Not bad numbers and looks rather attractive if you want to avoid the pain in using the flush method I posted.

I've used the Turkey Baster method and have done the process 5 times, and my PS fluid is still coming out dark. If it doesn't clear up soon, I'm going to have to disconnect the return line.

Ok, was thinking like my Chevy, it's the other way around. You only get a 1/3rd out of the resevoir.

[ March 09, 2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back