Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't suppose any of you might know what percentage the reservoir in my 2003 Toyota Matrix would hold, would you?

By the way, which type or brand of PS fluid should I buy?

If it is like the Toyotas built in Japan they use un-dyed Dex III. It will look like a dark clean motor oil. I can not imagine that it has any sludge!

That car is still under warranty. If the fluid has oxidized that fast the dealer needs to flush it and bill it to a warranty claim back to Toyota. I would go buy the dealership and ask them to look at it!

I have seen Toyota trucks with 9+ years and all OEM fluid that was not oxidized at all. If you have sludge or oxidation then the pump has an issue!
My Dads 1995 Tacom has never been filled or drained etc and it is still red and smells just fin 150,000 miles later. SUre it could stand to be flushed but at 14,000 you should be fine.

The "Turky Baster Method" will not work easily on Toyotas. THe opening is recessed in the resovoir and it is only slightly larger then a No.2 Pencil. You would need a 60cc or larger syringe and some tubeing!

Anyone that uses Dex III can also use run of the mill LubeGuard Red Dex III additive in their power steering systems. It is good stuff and at $7-$11 a bottle you can easily do two P/S systems with one bottle. You should also try to use the best DEX III you can afford. You figure most systems are never changed or are changed very infrequently! I recomend Mobil-1,Redline,Amsoil and Schaffers in random order.

[ March 09, 2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
Sorry XS650, I read your post wrong. YOU ARE CORRECT! I read it as 1.25% new fluid in the system, sorry. I should read closer next time. Please disregard the previous post.

No offense taken, this is how we all learn, next time it will be my turn to stick my foot in my mouth. It's a familier taste.

BTW, If you have a system like VaderSS where the resevoir is small compared to the total system, it won't work very well.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
If it is like the Toyotas built in Japan they use un-dyed Dex III. It will look like a dark clean motor oil. I can not imagine that it has any sludge!

That car is still under warranty. If the fluid has oxidized that fast the dealer needs to flush it and bill it to a warranty claim back to Toyota. I would go buy the dealership and ask them to look at it!

I have seen Toyota trucks with 9+ years and all OEM fluid that was not oxidized at all. If you have sludge or oxidation then the pump has an issue!
My Dads 1995 Tacom has never been filled or drained etc and it is still red and smells just fin 150,000 miles later. SUre it could stand to be flushed but at 14,000 you should be fine.

The "Turky Baster Method" will not work easily on Toyotas. THe opening is recessed in the resovoir and it is only slightly larger then a No.2 Pencil. You would need a 60cc or larger syringe and some tubeing!

Anyone that uses Dex III can also use run of the mill LubeGuard Red Dex III additive in their power steering systems. It is good stuff and at $7-$11 a bottle you can easily do two P/S systems with one bottle. You should also try to use the best DEX III you can afford. You figure most systems are never changed or are changed very infrequently! I recomend Mobil-1,Redline,Amsoil and Schaffers in random order.

You're right! The opening is recessed and is very small! My turkey baster could hardly get any fluid out so I left it alone. Also, I wanted to know why my owner's manual says to use automatic transmission fluid DEX II or III for the power steering??? That's insane! Well, I'll have the dealer look at it and see if I can make a warranty claim. Thanks guys.

quote:

Originally posted by Jack from Charlotte:
I used the SX650 method he listed above, too. Every morning I'd use the baster and remove most of the fluid in the reservoir and replace to just below the "Full Cold" mark. Did this for about a week and replaced 2 1/2 quarts of a 3 litre system. It's pretty **** clean, clear/pink fluid now for the cost of a $1 Turkey Baster from Dollar General and 3 $1.75 or whatever quarts of Dexron or whatever the fluid was.

Now I'm wondering if the taste of the PS Fluid left on the baster will improve the Thanksgiving Turkey or make it worse. I'll let you guys know.

HEHEHE

quote:

Also, I wanted to know why my owner's manual says to use automatic transmission fluid DEX II or III for the power steering??? That's insane!

I have seen ATF used to top off power steering all the time. ATF is speced by Ford on their F-150 line, I don't know about other vehicles. Your automatic transmission is basically a hydraulic unit anyway.

Dex III fluid is what your powersteering system uses. TOyota does not use "Power Steering FLuid". DO not I repeat do not use a ower steering fluid in a Toyota unless the cap onit specificly calls for power steering fluid. Useing a power steering fluid in a system designed for ATF can cause damage and you have compatiability issues as well!

I can not recall working on a single Toyota off hand that required "Power Steering FLuid"!!!! If money is no object and you just want some piece of mind buy 3-4 quarts of Redline D4 or High Temp ATF and havce a private mechanic flush and fill. If I still worked as a Tech I would do this for a customer for $30-$50 dollars. If they were a regular I would quote them a price. When they came to pick the car up I would give it to them on the house! THis makes them feel like they just got something for nothing otherwise known as value added.

The flush and fill can be done in less then 5 minutes on your car. Cleaning up any mess and throwing the ATF containers away will take more time then anything else!

Say, JohnBrowning, you wouldn't happen to have a shop in SoCal would you? Hehehe...

Thanks. I thought it was strange that they were asking for DexronIII ATF for the power steering. I'll look for that Redline stuff on their website. Would you happen to know if a mechanic would allow me to watch the process? I've already had issues at motorcycle shops where they claim to have "liability issues".

Most shops do not want customers floating around for liability reason. They also do not want you to see them beating on your car with hammers and pry bars etc... The launge in a shop is usualy a bit blue as well. Mechanics do not usualy get along well with other people!

If you are lucky you might find a place with a glass viewing wall in the waiting room. It would be preety easy to tell if they changed it. All(few exceptions) ATF's that are sold OTC have red dye in them. So if they change the fluid and it is red you know that it was changed! I have never seen undyed ATF offered OTC.

If you can not trust your tech. then you need to find another Tech.!

To be honest I doubt you realy have any concern with you P/S fluid! Remember it is supposed to be brown.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Most shops do not want customers floating around for liability reason. They also do not want you to see them beating on your car with hammers and pry bars etc... The launge in a shop is usualy a bit blue as well. Mechanics do not usualy get along well with other people!

If you are lucky you might find a place with a glass viewing wall in the waiting room. It would be preety easy to tell if they changed it. All(few exceptions) ATF's that are sold OTC have red dye in them. So if they change the fluid and it is red you know that it was changed! I have never seen undyed ATF offered OTC.

If you can not trust your tech. then you need to find another Tech.!

To be honest I doubt you realy have any concern with you P/S fluid! Remember it is supposed to be brown.

You're probably right. I just remember it being a little on the pink side a while ago.

Go to Autozone or Kragens and pick up the pump they sell that fits on a quart bottle of oil. I think Valvoline markets it. Stick the suction end in the fluid reservoir and place the spout in an empty container. Much quicker than the turkey baster.

[ March 12, 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Jakebrake ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jakebrake:
Go to Autozone or Kragens and pick up the pump they sell that fits on a quart bottle of oil. I think Valvoline markets it. Stick the suction end in the fluid reservoir and place the spout in an empty container. Much quicker than the turkey baster.

Yeah i used that method, works great.

I used the method Jakebrake talked about and replaced the old fluid with Redline D4 ATF. The steering felt better afterwards and hopefully the D4 will lower the temps and keep the seals in better condition.

Was helping Dad replace TPS on 1995 Tacoma. I checked his P/S fluid and it need changeing. I also checked millage and It is at 129,000 miles not the 150,000 miles I posted previously. Did not have time to change it tonight. It was still red but was not bright red. It smelled oxidized though. I will need to get to this this summer!

[ March 14, 2004, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

My Dad was worried that if we changed the fluid it would leak! I sugested that eventualy all seals fail. I sugested that if the fluid was changed the seals would harden slower due to less oxidized fluid attacking them. He seemed to agree that it was reasonable even though he has never in his life changed out P/S fluid even on vechiles with 300,000 miles on them!

My Dad was worried that if we changed the fluid it would leak! I sugested that eventualy all seals fail. I sugested that if the fluid was changed the seals would harden slower due to less oxidized fluid attacking them. He seemed to agree that it was reasonable even though he has never in his life changed out P/S fluid even on vechiles with 300,000 miles on them!

Since 1971 we have only had to replace one P/S pump and that was on my 1986 4Runner about 2 years ago. I got a one of a 1989 4Runner from a salvage yard cheap.

Similar experiance here.

I've been driving cars/trucks with power steering since 1972, usually to high mileage before I got rid of them. I have never had to replace any hydraulic componant or seals in a PS system. That's pretty remarkable when I think back on the poor maintenace most of them got.

Maybe I was the guy that started the PS fluid lasts for the life of the car trend
pat.gif

Now that PS systems and the fluids are better than they were, I change it every two years
lol.gif

Come to think of it, I have only had to replace one Hydraulic pump in all the vehicles I've owned (and that was on the old '86 Burb), and only because it was leaking out of the front seal. It only had 290,000 miles on it.
shocked.gif

But I have had to replace the hydraulic hoses on vehicles because of leakage, usually past 120,000 miles.

I've had to replace two racks on cars -- one for leakage, the other for morning stiffies. I also replaced a pump for shaft seal leakage and a leaky pitman arm seal. 4 power steering issues on 3 cars from the 1980's.

I agree it's not unusual to have a power steering system last for the life of the car with no maintenance, but changing out te fluid is cheap insurance. I just don't like to see the fluid get dark and have wear debris circulating through the system.

I have a 94 dodge dakota with 160k miles been a great truck. Well the ps fluid smelled horrible and never had been changed so I decided to change it. Sucked the old stuff out the turkey baster method. Well its about 2 months later and guess what its leaking. Hopefully the leak will stop on its own but I keep having to add fluid maybe I should have left it alone. Try to do something good and it bites u in the a@#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back