Your opinion for a 95 geo prizm 5 speed manual trans oil 75w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just acquired a 1995 geo prizm that uses the same engine(1.8l 4-banger) and transmission(5 speed) as a toyota corolla.

I have two options for gear lube which I will be replacing because I am not sure of the last time it was swapped out.
1. Mobil 1 75w90
2. Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 (SVG)

What do you guys think, I'm sure either would work and price isn't an issue since it will only need 3 quarts of it.

It's hard to decide because so many people buy it because it's 8 bucks and it's a good synthetic, but would the amsoil be better? Again, price is no issue, these are the two easy to find synthetics in my area.

What does your car-maker specify ?

Nevertheless, I do recommend the synthetic , either one; having used this with excellent results in the '79 900.
VW has been using synthetic MTF now for 20 years, as a so-called lifetime fill..

I wouldn't use either of those..
If thats the viscosity your trans needs.
I'd use Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90.

It's not a "viscosity" issue so much as it's if Toyota specifies a GL-4 or a GL-5 (or allows either, like my Toyota RAV4 does in a 75W-90 weight) for the tranny.

Check your owner's manual.

FWIW, the Amsoil MTG is strictly a GL-4 capable lube. The Severe Gear is strictly GL-5. Both pass the Copper Corrosion test with a 1B rating, which means they're safe for yellow metals.

The SVG is slightly thicker than the MTG, though.

It needs 75w-90 GL-5 gear lube as specified in the haynes manual for the car, the car didn't come with an owners manual. Does anybody know if it shows up any differently in the owners manual? I would figure the haynes manual to be correct, is it not?

I can't get redline locally where I am and I would like a synthetic that I can get here. Why MTG over SVG?

Are you sure it needs gl5? that seems somewhat unusual for this particular vehicle.

The choices you listed are primarily for differentials, and have friction modifiers optimized for limited slip differentials.

But if you do need a GL5, then nevermind.

Actually in that case I would use Redline 75W90 NS (a gl5 without friction modifiers for LSDs). But its special order..

I'm ordering an owners manual off of ebay right now. Mobil 1 75w-90 is a GL-5 isnt it? So I will need to track down some MTG, which I didn't see when I was looking at stores in my area, i'll have to look again. Redline just isnt around here and I would like to be able to replace it with the same fluid the next time I change it out as well.

I wasn't sure where to look up the specification because the haynes is supposedly wrong and the Amsoil page said it was GLS-spec, which I don't what that would be.

The M1 75-90 isn't very good for shifting. It is too slick, and not friction modified, for synchronizers.
It will have good gear and bearing protection, however.
I'd check out Specialty Formulations products. They have a proper viscosity for your tranny with great shifting attributes.

I found three different 75w-90 Amsoil lubes, yet none of these are on the Amsoil site. I don't remember what they were all called because I figured I would go home and see them on the Amsoil site, but they just aren't there.

Amsoil AGR, which looks like a differential gear lube, so thats out.

Amsoil TGR Series 2000 75w-90, this promises fuel economy gain, which is why I am choosing a synthetic in the first place, this seems to be the only Amsoil option available, would this be suitable?

It seems everybody has Valvoline SynPower 75w-90 Fully Synthetic, but that one is another GL-5 and seems like it's made for differentials too.

I never thought it would be hard to find a 75w-90 GL-4 synthetic manual transmission lube.

If none of those are available I suppose I will need to order either specialty formulations or amsoil online. Which specialty forulations would be the one to get?

So many questions, thanks in advance!

I've already got the powersteering covered, I sucked out the fluid and replaced it with fresh fluid and I will do it again once every 500 miles or so until it's clean instead of black.

I use the redline dealer search and it comes up with a bunch of AutoZones and Pep Boys, but none of them have anything other than Water Wetter, Diesel Catlyst, and Fuel System cleaner, I'm still wondering about that Amsoil TGR too though.

If you don't want to order Redline from summit switch gears and try boat shops and see if you can locate The Pennzoil Marine Gear Lube. Should do well in the tranny. And it is a Full synthetic.

It has GL4/5 ratings but is easy on brass and bronze. Pennzoil also has a 75-90 syn gear lub GL4 which would work but it has some slip conditioners like M1.

Actually the penn syn GL4 for autos look better.
See Penns web site and it has a zip code finder
to call around. Looks like NAPA but they might need to order it. I have seen the Marine recommended for GL4 gearboxes. You don't want the Penn syn GL4 for cars as its loaded for a the diff application.

Most Toyotas are doing ok on 85-90 dino gear lub
but you are in MN.

Sorry I meant Penn syn gl 4 looks multipurpose
like old 85-90 dino gear oil and gl 5 Penn syn looks like a diff only fluid.

TGR is an obsolete product. But it will work.

MTG is not carried there? Free shipping
cool.gif

I'd still use Redline MT and order it or see where in MN you can get it. I'd order 3 even if your transmission is after 5/95 and only need 2 since I've never got all of it in without some spills. Before then looks like 2.5 gts.

I'd do the diff at the same time. There syn doesn't make as much difference since its thinner ATF. Buy 2 qts and use what's leftover to do your powersteering. I don't recommend Redline ATF on this age Toyota.

The Carquest that has the TGR has tried to rip me off of some ASL in the past by trying to sell it more than their tag next to the product had said for the gallon size but I bought it once I straightened that out. There was a Champion Auto in my area that had pretty much all of the Amsoil products but it closed, the only Amsoil dealer around is a Carquest, but they have a limited selection, and don't have any new products. Couldn't find the 5w-40 euro formula or the diesel rated ACD 10w-30 weight. They don't seem to be the friendliest folks and seem to want to get people out of their store quickly so I doubt they would special order any of the new products, but if TGR is just an obsolete version of what it was replaced by, MTG, then I will get that because they seem to have a good stock of it for when I'd need more.

BTW, I should get a UOA of the first oil change back sometime early this week to see how things are doing.

I have a 94 Corolla 7afe 5 speed. I've tried many many fluids for the trans. I wouldn't even consider M1. Redline wasn't so good either for some reason in my ride and others have found the same. Synthetic GL-5s won't even shift in my car. The best 2 I've tried are Castrol Hypoy C 75w-90 GL-5 (dino) and Specialty formulations MTL-R 75w-90. The owners manual calls for GL-4 or GL-5. The next time I change it, I'm going with 2 quarts of MTL-R and the remaining .75 quarts with the MTF glide. SF 75w-90 shifted fine in my car when it was -10F but I feel it could go a bit thinner for superior cold weather shifting. Have fun with that horsepower monster
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back