Brick it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading another post where somebody declared an additive as snake oil and it made me wonder and conjured up a memory. I have never used slick 50 and don't endorse it but have an interesting story about it. In the 1980's I was at a classic car show where they had a brick-it contest used as a fundraiser. You guessed the time an engine in an old car would run with WOT and the oil drained. They sold a 50/50 ticket and you took your chances. I had seen a few of these contests before so I bought some tickets and made my guesses along with hundreds of other folks. The car in this story was a beat up old station wagon from the early 60's, Dodge iirc. Long story short, they started the car and bricked the accelerator and it sat there and ran and ran and ran and ran.....so much so after about 15 minutes 99% of the folks had wandered away being as their time guessed was well surpassed. A few hearty souls remained waiting for what could be an explosive engine expiration. The car stopped running after about 20 minutes. Just slowly wound down without any drama. The guy that donated the car looked in the window and declared the car had only ran out of gas. Somebody rounded up a gas can and the car was successfully restarted where it ran another 15 minutes before starting to shake cough and squeal before coming to a stop. What this story has to do with slick 50 is the guy that donated the car was laughing with his friends that he had prepped this car weeks in advance by filling the crank case with slick 50 and running it every day. It probably helped that the car was an old solid lifter car too. So my thoughts are that the slick 50 must have had some effect and I am usually hesitant to call any product snake oil anymore.

When I was 18, 20 years ago, I had a 1987 Nissan Maxima - the boxy one. At that time I would go to instant oil change shops instead of changing it myself. But I'd buy Mobil 1 and have them use that, as well as DuraLube or Slick 50.

Well, one time, Valvoline forgot to re-install the drain plug after draining out the old oil. Of course, I didn't know this, and cranked the car right up and drove home. I wondered why it was making a knocking noise. Told my dad about it. He didn't know anything about engines, so he suggested I take it to Firestone. I drove it there, Dad followed me.

We got back home, and, about 15 minutes later, the phone rang. It was Firestone. They said the drain plug was missing and there was no oil in it, of course. They said they'd replaced the drain plug, filled it with oil and cranked it. They said the noise stopped and it seemed to be running fine.

I went and picked up the car and drove it for tens of thousands of miles more until selling it. And for all I know it's still running today!

I have a problem with how the additives would protect the crank shaft main bearings and the rod bearings. We had a guy a work leave out the oil after an oil change and the engine quit running. I didn't work on it but looked at it when apart and the only damage was the crank and rod bearings everything else "looked" good.

As a Z guy, this video tears me up inside and makes me want to start punching people, but supposedly, this guy ran the car without any oil for 30-40 minutes. Filled the crankcase with WATER, and ran it for another 10 minutes before it finally died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p9XUpEIeS0

So, I don't think there is anyway to know if the Slick 50 really did anything or not. N=1 and all....

Originally Posted By: 28oz
As a Z guy, this video tears me up inside and makes me want to start punching people, but supposedly, this guy ran the car without any oil for 30-40 minutes. Filled the crankcase with WATER, and ran it for another 10 minutes before it finally died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p9XUpEIeS0

So, I don't think there is anyway to know if the Slick 50 really did anything or not. N=1 and all....

I agree,this methhead sounding person should be forced to ride a bicycle for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back