what oil - kohler series II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad just bought a used Cub Cadet with a Kohler Series II KT19 (19hp) engine. THe onwers manual states:

quote:

Straight 30-weight (Kohler "Magnum") oil is preferred. SAE 10W-30 is not recommended above 32F. Using this oil substantially increases oil consumption and combustion chamber deposits.

By the looks of the chart 5w-20 & 5w-30 can be used below 32F. 10w-30 can be used between 0F & 32F. and the Kohler Magnum 30 wt can be used above 32F. And at last, the Kohler "Winter" 30 wt. can be used in all temperatures. The oil must be API service class SG or SH.

Now the problem - My dad wants to use a quality oil other than Kohler's. He will be running this engine from below 0F up to 90+F. This engine has a sump of 1.5 pints with an addition pint in the filter - it is air cooled, so a quality oil is needed with only 2.5 pints of oil.

I have recommended the following choices -

Amsoil 4-stroke 0w-40
Amsoil SAE 30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil

What does everybody else think? He needs an oil that will flow when it is extremely cold and one that will continue to protect up to 90F. Any suggestions?

[ September 30, 2003, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: medic ]

Either would work, also you may consider Amsoil full syn. 10W-40....and gasp, even the full synthetic 15W-40 Amsoil.

Used, what oil was the PO using?

SG and SH, old school and the recommendation sounds like old school dino think.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
SG and SH, old school and the recommendation sounds like old school dino think.

I was thinking the same thing - old school, until I saw 5w-20 in the owners manual. I checked the date on the back and it says: ISSUED 4/87 - REVISED 12/95.

Unknown as to what the previous owner used. I do know it had a new engine in '97 and has just over 200 hours on the new engine.

Have a oil analysis result on a Cub Cadet 2166 Hydro stat, 2002 manufacture date, using a 16 hp Kohler Command engine that I will post under gasoline engines for your reference.

53 hours on Cub Cadet oil ( quaker state )10w-30 with LC , #132, and Oil Extreme additive. Currently run Schaeffers 15w-40 7000 Blend with 2 ounces per qt of Lube Control ( LC). Run Fuel Power in gasoline.

Those 53 hours in 100+ degree Texas heat on a 2 acre lawn.

I run Truck oil (Chevron Delo 400 or Rotella T) 15W-40 in all my small engines without any problems. The engine will probably outlast the mower if maintained.
cheers.gif

Sounds like the recommendation in the owners manual was more of a viscosity issue – at higher temps the heavier viscosity, SAE 30W, tended not to pump past the rings & combust.

Any of the popular synthetics, Mobil 1 as an example, will have good high temp viscosity stability. Also, even if the syn oil was blowing past the rings, it would not leave the deposits typical of a dino oil.

Your suggestion of a winter & summer oil is best as he probably will want to change on an interval of every 50 to 100 hrs.

I’m not a fan of Amsoil – all the hype turns me off. Any good 5W30 synthetic provides excellent cold weather(-20F) starting results. And the 10W30 will certainly handle the 70-95F temps due to better viscosity stability.

I've used M1 full synethic 5w30 or Castrol syntec 5w50 in my John Deere for the past 8 years. It see's temps anywhere between 30 & 90 degrees. It still runs greats and burns no oil.

"the popular synthetics, Mobil 1 as an example, will have good high temp viscosity stability. Also, even if the syn oil was blowing past the rings, it would not leave the deposits typical of a dino oil."

I'm not so sure of that. According to a test done by Red Line, PAOs leave a very heavy deposit when pushed to extremes. Not likely to occur in a crankcase but these conditions may very well occur in a combustion chamber.
dunno.gif

Still, I wouldn't worry about a good (read PAO & ester) synthetic 10W30 oil in one of these engines.

But, since a loss of 1-3% in power or fuel economy is negligible, I use a 15W40 instead.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back