Thinking About Using A New Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Honda Goldwing. I have been using Mobil 1 Truck & Suv. I have also used the new Amsoil. I ride alot and change my oil pretty often. Its just my personality. No flames needed. I was thinking about going with the Chevron Supreme 10/40. I change the oil every 3k miles. The Chevron oil I think is one of the best Dino oils out there. I think I will use it and see what Blackstone comes back with. I have had all my previous oils done at Blackstone, they have done good but I feel I can get the same results with a good dino. What do yall think.

I use Rotella-t 5w-40 in the winter, and
Rotella-t 15w-40 in summer in my '02 750 honda.
I called Chevron about the supreme in my bike and the tech line said not to use it because of the moly content. I would use Castrol GTX 10w-40 if i would use a car oil.

I'm guessing you ride a lot to warrant 3k oil changes and wanting to cut down on oil expense.

I just bought a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 650 that had just 1267 miles on it. The manual called for a 10w-40 but I went with Mobil V Twin Synthetic 20w-50. I live in MS so the temp extremes don't really warrant a 10w oil and when the temp is below 50, I don't ride. Yeah I'm a wuss but I'm older now than when I rode year round in the eaarly 70's.

Oil is the lifeblood of your engine and I can get buy spending the 24 bucks or so for 3 quarts of oil once a year.

On another note...JonS? I put the Castrol GTX 10w-40 in a 04 Yamaha Bruin atv and it started smoking on start-up with that oil. I now run Amsoil 0w-40 synthetic for atv's and it stopped that!

Chevron Supreme 10W-40 is a great oil, and yes it does contain some moly, but not the kind that causes clutch problems. I would suggest using Chevron Delo 15W-40 because it contains the anti-wear and extreme presure additives that M/Cs need. I ran Delo for over 100K miles in a 1100 Kawasaki. When I sold it the engine was like new.

honus, nice to hear that, as for some reason(s) I've lucked out finding the Delo 15-40 works well for my bikes. Only have one in the family over 85,000 at the moment, but, so far, so good!

Agreed that Chevron Supreme is a great oil, but it won't hold up to a motorcycle transmission's shearing power. Check out any of the motorcycle UOAs.

Any name-brand 15W-40 oil is probably the best conventional oil available for our shared sump motorcycles. They resist viscosity shear better than oils with wider viscosity ratings and they have a beefy additive package with plenty of EP additives. Plus, they're pretty inexpensive.

Agreed....for a short change interval (like 1,000 miles or so), you could probably get away with consistently using Chev Sup 10W-40.

Would I go that route? Nope, although I have used CS 20W-50 for ARX clean and rinse cycles in my ST1100.

I ride X RACER MX(MOTOCROSS),I have been using the new Delo 400 15/40 the last year,plenty of track time. 4stroke 450 F-1 inspired motor,to simply put it,the moly content in the Delo will not make your clutch slip.A few MC oils have moly content,THE DELO IS A WINNER!!!!!!!

I would opine that Honda still requires a JASO MA rated oil for your Wing: I don't think an SL/SM rated Chevron Supreme/Havoline would meet that spec.

Maybe?

A much better choice would be either Delo 15W-40 or going to a dedicated MC oil, ie. one that is JASO MA rated, IMHO.

I have excellent experiences with Amsoil's 10W-40 regular ol' AMO synthetic in both my ZX-11 and my Valkyrie Interstate. Great shifting, engines run nice and cool, oil can probably go much farther than a 3K interval and if you are going to have OA's done, why not find out? I know I would be interested...

CHEERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back