2022 BMW g310r; Rotella T5 or ?

I have a 2022 BMW g310r. I used Shell T4 in my last Beemer. I recently bought a the smaller BMW and was changing the oil. I put Shell T5 in it as I didn't realize I had bought the wrong oil.
I realized what I had done after I started it up and let it run for a bit. I am so afraid I may have damaged something. Could someone please give me some advice or assistance in determining if I have seriously screwed up.
I am a new member and have joined because I need real answers and not speculation.
Thanks for your help
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
STRAIGHT from the owner's manual for your bike.
- SAE 15W-50, API SJ / JASO MA2.
- Engine oil, capacity approx. 1.65 l (1.75 US qt), with filter change.
- Engine oil, quantity for topping up max 185 ml (6.25oz), Difference between MIN and MAX.

- Multiplate clutch running in oil bath.
- Additives (e.g. molybdenum-based) are not permissible because they can attack coated components of the engine, BMW Motorrad recommends
BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Pro oil.
- Every 3rd refuelling stop - Check engine oil level.

So I guess the real questions here are:
- What viscosity of T5 did you use? Does your climate and usage allow it?
- What's the MOLY content in the oil that you used?

Last edited:
the chances of T5 hurting the car are slim to none.
bmw.jpg

You hurt nothing. Even if you went a full OCI, the chances of T5 hurting the bike are slim to none. Change out the oil with the recommended spec at your first convenience.
Thanks for your quick response. I believe I can sleep tonight. I had been using the Shell T4 in my 2010 F650GS and wanted to continue using that oil in my g310r. I will change out the oil filter as well. I believe I was told anything with moly will affect my clutch.

The "real" answer is you have not irreparably damaged your bike.

T5 isn't the top of the list for that application, but honestly it's not going to be the death of it either.

Use the T4 on your next OCI.

Thanks for your quick response. I believe I can sleep tonight. I had been using the Shell T4 in my 2010 F650GS and wanted to continue using that oil in my g310r. I will change out the oil filter as well. I believe I was told anything with moly will affect my clutch.
Possible, but nothing that should be permanent. Oils aren't loaded up with moly these days and Rotella historically has been pretty kind to motorcycles. I used to use T6 years ago in my ZZR1200 and never had issues, although it did shear pretty quickly.

Shell Rotella T4 is a conventional motor oil, while Shell Rotella T5 is a synthetic blend.
Like ctechbob said, it will not hurt anything /

Here is what the owner's manual recommends for your bike.
- SAE 15W-50, API SJ / JASO MA2.
- Engine oil, capacity approx. 1.65 l (1.75 US qt), with filter change.
- Engine oil, quantity for topping up max 185 ml (6.25oz), Difference between MIN and MAX.

- Multiplate clutch running in oil bath.
- Additives (e.g. molybdenum-based) are not permissible because they can attack coated components of the engine, BMW Motorrad recommends
BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Pro oil.

So I guess the real questions here are:
- What viscosity of T5 did you use? Does your climate and usage allow it?
- What's the MOLY content in the oil that you used?
The T5 was 15w40 and the oil analysis indicates it has a 65 moly but I have no clue what that means. I drained it out after running it about 5 or 10 minutes and pulled the filter. I had used T4 in my last Beener but I would like to be sure it would work okay.

The T5 was 15w40 and the oil analysis indicates it has a 65 moly but I have no clue what that means. I drained it out after running it about 5 or 10 minutes and pulled the filter. I had used T4 in my last Beener but I would like to be sure it would work okay.
- 15W40 is close enough to the recommended viscosity, and should be fine for commuting. If however you ride aggressively most of the time, then maybe go back to 15W50 with a JASO MA2 rating.
- Hopefully it's low enough moly content to where it does not hurt the clutch or the coated components that BMW mentions in the owner's manual. But no guarantee here... Although I do believe BMW is referring to aftermarket additives, and not oil additives in the blend formulation. Feel free to email BMW for verification.
- Mobil1 15W50 is commonly used in motorcycles with shared sump. It does not have a JASO rating, but has a good track record when used in motorcycles with/without shared sump, and has slightly lower MOLY content at 57, according to a recent VOA by Lake Speed Jr.

Last edited:
- 15W40 is close enough to the recommended viscosity, and should be fine for commuting. If however you ride aggressively most of the time, then maybe go back to 15W50 with a JASO MA2 rating.
- Hopefully it's low enough moly content to where it does not hurt the clutch or the coated components that BMW mentions in the owner's manual. But no guarantee here... Although I do believe BMW is referring to aftermarket additives, and not oil additives in the blend formulation. Feel free to email BMW for verification.
Thanks for everyone's help

Wrong action that would result in irreversible engine damage in a
instant is forgetting to add the new oil after draining the old oil...

No flow no go...

Running Shell T5 will most certainly and reassuringly meet and
exceed your oil change interval expectations...

Ride as is!!!

Last edited:
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the additive packs for Rotella T4, T5, and T6 are identical. It's the base oil that differentiates them.

Currently, both T4 and T5 are considered semi-synthetic under the most recent, relaxed definitions of synthetic oil.

T6 used to be considered semi-synthetic under the older, stricter definitions, but under the current 2023/24 guidelines, T6 can legitimately claim to be fully synthetic.

Back