How hot is to hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took my atv out for a ride in the snow
grin.gif

And well I beat the **** out of it. Came back and noticed it was running kinda bad went and got a IR thermal and the area of the engine near the oil fill hole was around 210-220. I have Mobil clean 5000 in there right now,the oil is brand new and still has the amber color but can this oil provide engine protection during something like this.

10w40 btw.

Thanks

what kind of atv is it? motor size? water cooled? 2 or 4 whell drive?..riding it like ya stole it, is gonna, of course, make it a bit hotter than riding it normaly, but i think these things are tough as nails, given, reg oil changes and such. is it new? might want to look at a nice synthetic if you ride like a demon! lol. amsoil makes a goodie, especialy for atv's i beleive. probably run a smidge cooler as well. be safe riding that thing! had to add that, because i get it everytime i take off on the 1200xlh, or if i'm feeling frisky, my kaw zrx.
cheers.gif

it's 1988 Honda 200SX 2wd (The beater of atv's right now). Mostly around here you have to climb up Very steep hills so theres not much speed just a whole lot of WOT trying to make it up some hills.

I used to go riding with some people who brought a Kawasaki quad along.The bikes would gets rests during the day,but the quad never stopped,everyone would have a turn on it,then kids had to be taken for rides etc.One day I checked how hot it was by putting my hand on the cases,it was like putting my hand on a hot iron,burnt my hand losing my fingerprints and making my palm smooth and shiny.I've never seen a motor get that hot - and it did it every weekend,no worries.

I checked the temp of the oil on my '02 Honda 750 bike, and it always read 210f when hot. This was in weather of about 90f. This was using Amoil 10w-40 or Shell 15w-40 or Rotella 5w-40. They all read the same. I think my temps are low. I would worry if it gets over 260f.

Yeah They get very hot sometimes Especially when going slow and puttin a load on the engine. I'll agree though these engines can take alot of abuse.

Its an air cooled engine, what do you expect? I thought it would have been hotter than that. Don't worry about it. Not sure that the Clean 5000 would be my choice, but if the clutch is holding then it is probably OK.

The clutch in this thing so far (*Crosses Fingers*). has never slipped to my knowledge. This engine has always run hot this was just the hottest that ive ever seen it. I was thinking about trying Mobil Truck and SUV 5w40 any opionions on that.

If you insist on running a PAO in your atv, I would at least run Mobil 1 MX4T, which is motorcycle specific API SG/JASO MA. (My personal preference is Maxima Extra, an ester synthetic.)

PAO's hold up well at high temp, but if you are in doubt, just change your oil before the next ride.

Doesnt matter to me what the oil is made of as long as It can take alot of abuse and is Easily available.

I suggest you try a dino HDEO 15W-40 like Delo 400, Penzoil LongLife, for better heat resistance...

Maybe it will last another 17 years?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back