Oil and OCI for a 2 stroke dirtbike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2000 CR500.

How often are you guys changing your crankcase oil? I figured often, but how often? And what are you using for oil? I was thinking Rotella T.

the 15w40 stuff will work , you cant't dump it too often. I went almost 5 years on orginal clutch, still perfect when I sold it. Dumped oil about every other weekend.

I use Type F ATF in all of my 2-stroke applications.

Changing frequently is the only way to go. I like to change out every ride or two, depending on how hard and long. Another plus for the $.79 qt. Type F.

If ATF make you nervous (understandable)I would suggest using any Xw40/50, but you may see some surge, as these oils are a bit more viscous than ATF, especially in cold weather.

Congrats on your purchase..that is quite a beast you have there...HOLD ON!
smile.gif

I say go for the Rotella if that suits you. It is a very robust fluid, and economical.

Many bikes will act differently with different fluids. Being yur bike is used, and you don;t know what the previous owner used, it may take some experimentation to find "what the bike likes".

You are changing the transmission oil, not the crankcase oil in that bike. It is a 2 stroke. I always used a 10W40 or 20W50 in my 2 stroke bike. That was a few years ago and the oils have changed since then.
I agree with Jaybird, try it and see how your clutch feels. Oil has a big effect on clutch and shift feel.

Mr Morris is correct, the crank is protected from wear by the residual 2-cycle oil that has dropped out of suspension from the fuel.

Transmission and clutch are what we are reffering to in a two-cycle sump.

I'm sure you were reffering to the oil sump, and many use the mistaken term 'crankcase' often.

I have found that Mobil 1 ATF works really well as a 2 stroke trans oil. I have an older RZ350 I restored. It really responded well to the M1 synthetic ATF. The shifting improved quite a bit. The trans fluids I replaced were motorcycle specific 2 stroke trans oil.

My 94 Husky 360 dirtbike also really likes the M1 ATF. The Husky comes apart fairly often for crankshaft replacement, and I do not have any bearing, clutch or gear wear issues with the M1.

I use Mobil 1 MX2t (now racing 2t) with great results also.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back