Ford Five-Hundred, your thoughts and experiences please

Status
Not open for further replies.
While looking for potential new vehicles, I remembered the Ford Five Hundred. It is big, real big.

From what I know, it's underpowered, it's a Ford, and it's underpowered. With potential for big rebates and Ford loylty discounts, it may be a good deal for a new vehicle.

Does anyone here drive one, know someone who drives one, or any experiences or knowledge of them?

Are they prone to break in any particular area?

Realistic MPG? Reliability of the 6spd auto? What ATF does it use?

Thanks!

Someone gave me a ride in one the other day. I thought the interior looked like it was made from really cheap plastic. Based on that alone I'd pass.

The 500 is built on the Volvo S80 Chassis. That is the only Volvo part in the car. Other than that there are a lot of them on the road around Pittsburgh.

A guy I talked to bought the SEL model and has 28K on it. He drives a LOT everyday with his job. He really likes it, and he likes 28MPG on the highway.

The 6-spd automatic transmission in the FWD version is an Aisin-Warner unit. Toyota uses Aisin-Warner units in their vehicles and they have been very reliable so far, with the exception of some early RX300 models.

Fluid is avaliable under the "Toyota T-IV" label at any Toyota dealer for about $5.00/qt.

Auto-Union, actually, despite not being offered to consumers, the 2006 Ford Taurus has outsold the Ford Five Hundred this year.

by what metric is it underpowered???

Its not a drag racing car. Has plenty of power and a fine power to weight ratio for my needs.

Not too bad looking, in a scaled up last gen passat way.

The one person I know who owns one has been very pleased with it.

JMH

quote:

Not too bad looking, in a scaled up last gen passat way.

On the outside the 500 closely resembles the Passat, but the interior is two tiers lower. Since I don't see my car from the outside most of the time, I want something that looks pleasant on the inside.

Though I agree... pleasant is relative.

Pleasant to me is having materials that dont off gas significantly and dont crack over years in the hot summer sun.

The HARD plastics that ford currently uses on the dashes of some cars are amongst the best that Ive seen.

VW makes better seats... though ford seats are by far not the worst Ive sat in... ahem... toyota.

I think id trust Ford electronics over VW electronics, but thats irrelevant and a discussion for another day
smile.gif

JMH

I believe that it is underpowered and could achieve better gas mileage with the new 3.5L Duratec because it is going to weigh just about the same but produce more power and theoretically... more power, same weight means better gas mileage because you will be putting your foot into it less...

I talked to a lady at the car wash a few months ago and she loved hers, other than the transmission control module failing and the "textured" part of the plastic bubbling... meaning its just a piece of hard plastic with a texture piece glued to it.

My opinion, get a Cerified Used 01-04 Toyota Avalon. It gets the best gas mileage in its segment and is comfortable... plus, the styling looks better (in my opinion) compared to the slightly dated looking 500.

The mags always claim it underpowered. Sure, it only has around 200HP/TQ. However, it runs very good considering it's weight/hp ratio. At nearly 4000# for an AWD, it runs to 60 in 8 secs, and 1/4 mile in 16.3. Considering it only has 203HP, and weighs 2 tons, I'd say that's impressive.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
more power, same weight means better gas mileage because you will be putting your foot into it less

Engines are more efficient at higher loads. (Put another way, the more you put your foot into it, the more efficient the engine is). All else being equal, the smaller engine will deliver better fuel economy.

Just spent 16 hours in a 500 on a road trip.

We got the AWD with the CVT. CVT was really nice on the highway...no shifting really, just seamless changes in engine RPM to match the current power/gear need. No chance to test the AWD. Car got about 26 mpg for constant 75 mph driving. Was quiet on the highway. AC worked well. Radio sucked...the scan didn't pick up half the stations that were available loud and clear. Ride was nice. Easy car to do miles in. Interior was crap cheap plastic!

Just FTR- VW switched wiring harness/connector suppiler to the same one that TOYOTA and Honda uses.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
First year production models, caviet emptor.

I second that. I've had 3 first year production models and have had nothing but problems. Someday I'll learn (but I am a sucker for "new" cars).

I'd wait until next year. If you are really anal retentive, try for a higher VIN too. I work in the auto industry and I have seen many running changes mid year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back