Rant - Shocks are blown, dealer won't warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 25k miles on my 2004 Ford Ranger. The shocks have been bad for a while. I have taken to the dealer twice and they say they are fine. I know they are not. I know a thing or two about cars and I know when it's time to change the shocks. Everything else is in spec except for the control arm bushings (see below) I can barely stand driving it. It is really bad on the poorly maintained Southern California highways and streets.

Also, I pointed out to the service guy that the upper and lower control arm bushings are cracked. There are tears in the rubber part of the bushings. He tells me this is normal and they won't fix that either.

I found out today it is the dealers policy that as long as there is no oil on the outside of the shock, or evidence of a leak, they won't replace it. SO I ASK, "so it doesn't matter how it rides?" HE SAYS "I can't replace it if it doesn't leak because Ford won't pay for the parts" I guess Ford has to see all parts that are removed to make sure the dealer isn't doing unnecessary repairs. And they think since they don't appear to be leaking that Ford won't pay up.

In my opinion there is only one aftermarket replacement shock worth the money. Bilsteins. I won't buy anything else. But I don't have the $300 to buy shocks right now. I don't don't get why I bought a new vehicle (in 2004) with a warranty if they won't fix what is broke!

Bilsteins are great shocks but if you want something with simlar quality and great ride, go with KYB Gas-a-justs. Bilsteins are great and are advertised but you have to ask for KYBs by name... that's how good they are... they are $150 at www.p-s-t.com. This is where I purchased my set of Gas-a-justs. I believe they throw in the shipping.

Brian - the thought crossed my mind

What gets me is they said they bounced the truck and drove it down the block but in the end if there is no leak they wont replace the shocks. So why the song and dance?

I know KYB's are good but I'm sold on Bilsteins. I have or had them on other vehicles.

The front shocks on most utes these days are shockers.

My Navara got really spongy at 40,000km, as did a workmates. Nissan replaced his under warranty, and they aren't much better...he's at 60k, and looking at another set.

I bit the bullet and put in decnt gas shocks, and am loving it.

Really, shocks last about as long as the tyres before they start performing poorly.

I have 144K miles on my Bilstein HD's. They come with a lifetime warranty. Although they are a little pricey at first as stated above (144K) they're worth it.
If you think S.California has bad roads you should see what western Pennsylvania's excuse is for a road.

I would call Ford's Customer service up in Michigan and complain. If you don't ask or complain you have no chance of getting them fixed under warranty.

ALS, I drive 95 to Phila. daily... the roads that Ive been on around Pittsburgh are a dream (I must have been lucky) compared to what we have here! Potholes are back, less than a week after filling.

Wherever PA gets their roadway materials from... they should lookj for a new supplier!

My car would thank them!

JMH

hahahha, you they may warranty it and put cheapo Monroes or Gabriels in them.

According to Bilstein a "visual" check alone is unnaceptable for a warranty denial. The unit should be removed, rechecked and even guaged for compression/rebound. The dealer is skirting the issue I believe. They wanted your vehicle sale bad but they are avoiding a silly damper replacement
frown.gif

Did you retailers get Monroes/Gabriels econo lines at about 8$ usually? Or Sensatraks for 14$?

Do you really want those cheap components put on your car?

Personally I am saving to invest in Bilstein shocks or Koni set hooked up with German H&R Springs.

More money yes, safety and control, ya betcha.

I had the front struts go out on a Ford (out of warranty). There was no external leakage, but they had ZERO damping left. You could hold it vertically and the piston would drop by its own weight, with no resistance, jounce and rebound.

Ranger shocks are easy to change. Pull one yourself and see how bad it really is. If it is obvious, take it to the dealer and show them. They should warranty them then. Do you have any fron tire cupping as further evidence?

You dont need expensive Bilstiens to get a decent ride on a pickup truck. Gabriel and Monroe make good, lifetime guaranteed, replacements for very little $.

You dont need expensive Bilstiens to get a decent ride on a pickup truck. Gabriel and Monroe make good, lifetime guaranteed, replacements for very little $.

Jimbo I will concede Monroe Senstrack Stuts are great, most are made in Belgium in fact. Due to inside experiance I will disagree on Sensatrack & Gabriel Shocks. These are only price point items for profit margins.

KYB would be superior in this case if Koni & Bilstein is too much. I never skimp on Suspension and Driveline components. Waiting for low priced Purolator oil filters are a different story
smile.gif

Glad my S10 ZR2 came OEM with real bilsteins
smile.gif

My chevy had a hood latch problem when it was quite new. I actually couldnt get it into a number of different dealers (I was away from where I bought it), as a lot of them gave me the runaround.

The key is to find a good dealer... this one obviously doesnt want your business. Id suggest telling them that all business and serivce from this point on will be taken elsewhere, and then write a letter of anger and disapointment to corporate... Even if this dealer doesnt fix them for you, theyll likely have someone fix them as they cant afford to loose additional customers.

My father had a corolla that had bad rear shocks. The dealer fixed them under warranty without oil leaking.

JMH

brian, I dunno about Tokico being better than KYB but my uncle works on Toyotas and says that Tokico supplied the shocks/struts for Camrys but after seeing how bad they were, Toyota uses KYBs now. He also installs them on every vehicle that comes in with suspension problems with the Tokicos. I personally cannot vouch for the Tokico v KYB but KYBs are more solid than any shock you are going to find at that price and they outperform some of the more expensive shocks.... try taking a curve on a dry road in a Grand Cherokee at 40MPH...

I have an 03 Ford Ranger. The last time I checked (last summer) you could get Bilsteins for it over the Internet for $65 apiece, and some places shipped them free. Try taking your Ranger to other dealers. Dealers vary on their willingness to do warranty work that's truly needed. Tho if it was me I'd buy the Bilsteins before replacing the stock shocks.

OE shocks are made to different specifications than are the aftermarket ones. (It is entirely possible that Tokico wouldn't deliver what Toyota wanted at the price Toyota wanted to pay.)

I forget who the OE supplier for the shocks on the 88 Mustang GT is, I believe it's Koni..but those OE shocks are nothing like an aftermarket Koni.

A local Mustang shop (Excessive Motorsports) uses Tokicos and has for many years. If there were a problem with them, they would likely have stopped using them.

I'm a little frustrated but wont give up. Problem is I have little free time. The next day off to take it to the dealer is a month away. In the interim I'm going to call Ford and complain. Bottom line is I have warranty and want it honored. Also, right now I don't have the excess cash for shocks. Too many other expenses and too little income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back