New S&W Shield 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked one up on a sale for $349 several weeks ago and finally got a chance to test it out today. Shot 300+ rounds of different ammo, Federal, Blazer brass, Hornaday, Winchester, PMC, and lots of Russian dirty ammo without one issue. Those who have a Shield know it's as good as it gets, perfect weight and very accurate. This one's my new favorite "open carry" pistol. I liked this one so much the wife says I can get the shield 45 when it goes on sale, I can't wait
laugh.gif

2ihqxwg.jpg

I have one and for me the jury is still out. I cannot quite decide if I like it or not. Functions well and all that (have yet to have a problem with any kind of ammo), but it is too small for me (though I realize that is the intent of the design). I keep gravitating back to my Walther P99 AS as my go to pistol.

I think the S@W Shield is the best in its class. I have shot one and I am most impressed . I like my XD full size pistols but the XDS pales in comparison and I own a Kahr P9 for 10 years or so.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I have one and for me the jury is still out. I cannot quite decide if I like it or not. Functions well and all that (have yet to have a problem with any kind of ammo), but it is too small for me (though I realize that is the intent of the design). I keep gravitating back to my Walther P99 AS as my go to pistol.
I have the S@W P99 in 40 S@W and there is lots to like about the pistol

I just picked one up in 9mm less than a month ago, mainly to have something a little bigger than the 22s for the wife to shoot. Of course I have to test it 1st, and I like it to, compact but not micro to make it snappy at all. Also, keeps the wife off my SA EMP more so I can shoot it more. She likes the grip but has a hard time racking the slide for the 1st mag round. Hope to break it in so she can rack the slide easier. Have only 350 rounds through it and no FTF or FTE issue with factory and handloaded ammo, 115 & 124gr.
There are a lot of accessories for the Shield. It's small, light, easy field strip, easy to carry and shoots well. I prefer the 8 round mag over the 7 for my little finger. $419 at LGS. It's one of their big sellers.

Should have got it without a manual safety. Manual safety gets you killed under stress. I've seen countless seasoned shooters fumble the safety when you induce stress on them. You will [censored] it up if you are ever in a real defensive shooting.
The shield is a great gun for carry. I own 2 in 9mm, XDs 9mm and a G43 all in 9mm. All are good choices! I'd skip the 45 though as it does nothing better then the 9mm except give you more recoil which slows follow up shots, less capacity and costs nearly twice as much. From an efficiency stand point is is a bad choice and in reality you carry a gun to protect your life so use the best tool that gives you the best chance to survive and 45 is far from it.
Here is my G43. It is the most accurate of my 15 Glocks. Let me see if I can find the XDs and Shield pictures.

Last edited:
Here is the XDs

Here is the Shield and in its Rocketman Low Rider. Great IWB holster! Still need to swap out the usless ramped rear sights for a claw sight so I can do one had manipulation more efficiently. Ramped sight have no business on a defensive gun. I cant believe manufactures don't install 90 degree or claw sights these days. Dan Wesson got it right out of the factory. Not the best angle but you can see the "claw" on top of the rear sight:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Should have got it without a manual safety. Manual safety gets you killed under stress.

This I could not agree with more. It's one of the many reasons I own 6 Glock's. Simple is always better. Especially in high stress, dangerous situations. For all these people who tout how "dangerous" Glock's are because they don't have a bunch of extra safeties, I can point to far more cases where those safeties cost people their lives. Fumbling with a bunch of buttons and levers they wouldn't have had to if they weren't there. As I always say, show me a shooter that "needs" a safety, and I'll show you someone I don't want to be near when they're handling a weapon.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Should have got it without a manual safety. Manual safety gets you killed under stress.

This I could not agree with more. It's one of the many reasons I own 6 Glock's. Simple is always better. Especially in high stress, dangerous situations. For all these people who tout how "dangerous" Glock's are because they don't have a bunch of extra safeties, I can point to far more cases where those safeties cost people their lives. Fumbling with a bunch of buttons and levers they wouldn't have had to if they weren't there. As I always say, show me a shooter that "needs" a safety, and I'll show you someone I don't want to be near when they're handling a weapon.

I disagree....I started out with a Browning HP 40 years ago...so all of my handguns have a manual safety because it is built in my muscle memory. I don't even think about clicking the safety off while drawing. So, I keep the same system as close as possible with all of my semi auto pistols. That said...my edc is a jframe anyway.
grin.gif

Should have got it without a manual safety. Manual safety gets you killed under stress. I've seen countless seasoned shooters fumble the safety when you induce stress on them. You will [censored] it up if you are ever in a real defensive shooting.

I really don't see that as a [rpb;e,. I have the Shield and the LC9s with safeties. I have use the safety only one time...toi see if it worked. As a carry gun the safety is off...period. What's the big deal? All other things equal I would purchase without. It just wasn't available at the time IO wanted to buy.

As far as the Shield..yes very reliable. But I much prefer the G43 and the LCP. They are only a few ounces heavier than the 43 but they both are less bulky and easier to carry (for me).

All other things equal I would not buy the Shield again.

I watched a action pistol match where the guys shot their ccw guns. I shoot with these guys and they are lightening fast. Using their ccw guns they fumble with the tiny levers buttons etc. The subcompact 1911 type were the most difficult to put into action and hard to use. I started shooting my 1911s exclusively that I have owned since 1971 . I find the triggers and handling like no other as expected but the safte manipulation really tricky when compared to the XD or Glocks etc.

Originally Posted By: Doog

I disagree....I started out with a Browning HP 40 years ago...so all of my handguns have a manual safety because it is built in my muscle memory. I don't even think about clicking the safety off while drawing. So, I keep the same system as close as possible with all of my semi auto pistols. That said...my edc is a jframe anyway.
grin.gif

I agree with Doog. Safing and un-safing a weapon should be something you don't even remember doing, but it's done every time if you train for it. Now, as for a TS getting you killed under stress, I'll never believe that. It's a lack of situational awareness that will get you killed.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Safing and un-safing a weapon should be something you don't even remember doing,.......

I don't remember because I don't have to do it. The less you have to do in a dangerous situation, the better off you are. Regardless if it's from memory or otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Doog

grin.gif

This is good that you train properly with the safety. Most do not and that is why I cant recommend a pistol with a safety as a defensive gun. There have been many, many cops killed in the line of duty because they fumbled their safety in a dynamic critical incident. Most cops are poorly trained as far as proficiency with firearms goes though. I'd trust a civilian who trains more then a cop when it comes to performing with a firearm under stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back