SETI Investigating Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool!

We have no idea who will be receiving our signals in a few hundred or few thousand years.

Imagine them deciphering the 3 stooges tv signals!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
A lot of fantasy and speculation in that "news" article...

A Dyson shell is, of course, an interesting concept. But, they sure went off on a tangent there, didn't they?
wink.gif

+1. Apparently a "NASA advocate" to write a piece to try to get funding and donations for SETI.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
And avoid cardboard end caps.

Nobody uses "cardboard" on Neptune; they use zilflurg, which is much more advanced technically.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Cool!

We have no idea who will be receiving our signals in a few hundred or few thousand years.

Nobody will be receiving our radio or TV signals. They are not strong enough to be detectable in the background noise more than a couple of light years away. The nearest star is about 4 light years away. Unless the signals were broadcast specifically for interstellar communication there is no signal left.
Quote:
Because of this inverse square law, all of our terrestrial radio signals become indistinguishable from background noise at around a few light-years from earth. For a civilization only a couple hundred light-years away, trying to listen to our broadcasts would be like trying to detect the small ripple from a pebble dropped in the pacific ocean off the coast of California – from Japan.

http://zidbits.com/2011/07/how-far-have-radio-signals-traveled-from-earth/

Ed

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Cool!

Signals we receive today could be billions of years old. If a civilization made a signal billions of years ago, the chance of them still alive would be remote.

SETI comes out with something like this every year or two, unfortunately. I'm sure that it causes a temporary spike in interest/donations/volunteering, but they're going to start to sound like The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

18.gif

38.gif

50.gif

Trolling.gif

hooked.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

A Dyson shell is, of course, an interesting concept. But, they sure went off on a tangent there, didn't they?
wink.gif

Yeah, if you want to talk about Dyson Spheres do a search for alien mega structure where they talk about Tabby's star and how it's gotten dimmer over the last 100 years. Someone might be building a Dyson's sphere or swarm. Jury is still out.

http://www.space.com/33813-alien-megastructure-mystery-tabbys-star.html

I would put less emphasis on the strength of signal and more on whether it looks like an intelligent pattern. I wouldn't think it'd be that hard to see right away.

What a bunch of nonsense.
I especially liked this"

Quote:
"Basically, if the signal was beamed out into the galaxy without aim or direction, that would require an enormous amount of power to actually be detected. But what if the signal was beamed specifically at our solar system? Well, that would require less energy and could indicate the presence of a Kardashev Type I civilization—meaning that it could be a highly technological, contemporary society that harnesses the solar energy emitted by its local star, much like our planet does with solar panels."

Yes of course, why would the aliens use the "dirty" energy to send a signal off their planet? Only solar energy is worthy enough for such a task.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What a bunch of nonsense.
I especially liked this"

Quote:
"Basically, if the signal was beamed out into the galaxy without aim or direction, that would require an enormous amount of power to actually be detected. But what if the signal was beamed specifically at our solar system? Well, that would require less energy and could indicate the presence of a Kardashev Type I civilization—meaning that it could be a highly technological, contemporary society that harnesses the solar energy emitted by its local star, much like our planet does with solar panels."

Yes of course, why would the aliens use the "dirty" energy to send a signal off their planet? Only solar energy is worthy enough for such a task.
crackmeup2.gif

It's physics, not politics. Google "the kardashev scale". Read a book. Watch a YouTube video. We live in the first period in human history where it's easy to educate yourself about pretty much anything for free.

Do you have something against solar energy?

06.gif

I weep for our journalists. I heard a radio program today where they were suggesting that it would be nice for the first inhabitants of Mars to have a good broadband connection to Earth. I really hope it was some very dry, subtle joke that I didn't exactly get. If they were serious, they better figure out how bad the latency might be. Yeesh. In fairness, they weren't even science journalists, and it wasn't a call in show, so no one tore them a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back