BMW 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever see a VOA or UOA of this oil?

I didn't even know it existed until today and some Googling..

PUURRws.jpg

Can be used in quite a few new vehicles..

0W20 oil is to be released in 2016.

0W20 BMW oil is approved for the following BMWs:

N20 Engine:
2014+ F22 BMW 228i 228iX
2012+ F30 BMW 320i 320iX 328i 328iX - Sedan
2012+ F31 BMW 328i 328iX - Wagon
2014+ F34 BMW 328i 328iX - Gran Turismo
2014+ F32 BMW 428i 428iX - Coupe
2014+ F33 BMW 428i 428iX - Convertible
2014+ F36 BMW 428i 428iX - Gran Coupe
2012+ F10 BMW 528i
2013+ E84 BMW X1 28i
2011+ F25 BMW X3 xDrive28i
2014+ F26 BMW X4 xDrive 28i
2011+ Z4 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

B46/B48/B58 Modular Engines:
2016+ F30 LCI BMW 340i 340iX - Sedan
2016+ F48 BMW X1 xDrive20i X1 sDrive 25i X1 xDrive 25i
2015+ F55 MINI MINI Cooper 5-door, MINI Cooper S 5-door
2015+ F56 MINI MINI Cooper 3-door, MINI Cooper S 3-door
2016+ F54 MINI MINI Cooper Clubman, MINI Cooper S Clubman

Last edited:
More info:

BMW's newest TwinPower Turbo engine oil is LL14 FE+ certified. It meets BMW's standards for LongLife 2014 ("LL14") and improved fuel economy ("FE+"). In testing, BMW saw a 3% improvement in fuel economy over the LL01 5W30 in the N20 4-cylinder. The new 0W20 replaces the previous 5W30 oil used in some 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder BMW models and is the standard oil for the new B-series modular engines (B46, B48, B58). As of December 2015, BMW has not backdated the 0W20 for any other engines.

LL-01 is still go to oil (for gasoline) and specification has been updated recently, which means BMW will use HTHS oils >3.5cp in the future. I think 0W20 is an option for people who put economy as priority.

Last edited:
There is already a thread on the BMW 0W-20; see below:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4162672/1

Don't know of any members that have started using it in the 4 cyl N20 engine yet although it is the preferred oil grade.
While the oil grade along with a light 0W-30 for some 6 cyl Bimmers now is newly available from BMW in the States it's been available in Europe for a couple of years and longer for the LL-01 FE 0W-30.

You guys are lucky in the States, the new 0W-20 and 0W-30 BMW oils are not yet available in Canada.

Why use a 0w20 in a BMW though? if the 30 and 40 grades work just fine, i wonder if it would withstand thrashing it down the autobahn flat out for long periods of time " a la Deutsch "

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Why use a 0w20 in a BMW though? if the 30 and 40 grades work just fine, i wonder if it would withstand thrashing it down the autobahn flat out for long periods of time " a la Deutsch "

LL-01 is still recommended in Europe.
0W20 is just to help BMW meet CAFE.

Is BMW any different than other manufacturers in that regard? There are no restriction on the use of oil.
The electronic safety management controls will be based on the lightest oil recommended consequently there is no benefit (other than cost of the oil - it's pricier than 5W-30) just disadvantages in using anything heavier.

Yeah i don't fancy the idea of driving with my foot on the floor on a hot summer day with 0w20 in the sump!

You actually drive like that!!!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Yeah i don't fancy the idea of driving with my foot on the floor on a hot summer day with 0w20 in the sump!

crazy2.gif

Exactly.
Anyone who buys the 4 cyl Bimmer isn't overly concerned about performance otherwise they'd choose one of the more powerful 6 cyl engines.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: tig1

crazy2.gif

Exactly.
Anyone who buys the 4 cyl Bimmer isn't overly concerned about performance otherwise they'd choose one of the more powerful 6 cyl engines.

But those 4 poppers make some crazy torque at low RPM. Rod loading like that with 0W-20? No thanks. If the manufacturer allows and even recommends a heavier oil, I will use it..

Now you're second guessing BMW.
It would be interesting to know what the maximum oil temp's are for the N20 engine.
I suspect it is well controlled in addition to ECU mapping that limits torque at low rpm if oil temp's do get too high.
That said it wouldn't surprise me if initial WOT low rpm acceleration is subdued when the engine is good and hot, indicating the electronic nannies are having an effect.

Since heavier oil increases oil temp's, running it will just trigger the electronic nannies sooner.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Since heavier oil increases oil temp's, running it will just trigger the electronic nannies sooner.

Again, RPM changes oil temperature more than 30 to 20...

viscosity%20power%20loss.jpg

Chart is heat generation in the oil film (power loss), defacto oil temperature cause.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
What's the sump in an N20?

5 liters.

I have had good luck with the BMW brand 5w30. I only put 5-7k miles a year on mine and I am sticking to LL-01 specs.
Oil temperatures can approach ~250-260 when pushed hard but drop off as fast as rpms when you take the our foot out of it and coast. Meaning it has pretty good controls.
I tend to have a personality shift in the car and drive a little more spirited than I do in my Toyota. I am looking at using Catrol 0w40 this next change.

I was about to ask where is Shannow with his graphs !
smile.gif

Ask and ye shall recieve...

re what happens at lower RPM, and Minimum Oil Film Thicknesses...

moft%20viscosity.jpg

Seems a bit counter-intuitive to install thinner oil, then instal nannies to protect the engine from it if your goal is "improved" protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back