Stocking up for the Eco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new-to-me 3.5L Ecoboost from Ford. Given that M1 rebate is in full swing at the moment, I was going to grab at least one OCI worth. I know that Ford spec's these with 5w30 and many people run that happily with 5k OCI due to fuel dilution... Would a 0w40 be a strong move on this motor or not? Has anybody seen evidence to stick with 5w30 instead?

FWIW, this vehicle will see mostly 15-25 minute commute times with some longer highway and shorter town trips mixed in. Daily. Year round. Oh and probably little to no towing
smile.gif

I think 0W40s would do very good in these motors, provided they are a mid saps, as the ash content in 'Full SAPS' oils has been shown to have a detrimental effect on the knock resistance of the engine. M1 0W40 FS is, surprise, full SAPS and I wouldn't use it due to that. I would seek out a Euro Mid-SAPS 5W30 or xW40.

Ford says 5w-30 put 5w-30 in it. Unless you want to go to school for ~8 years to earn a PhD.

I run Mobil 1 EP 5w30 with a Fram Ultraguard until the oil light comes on, which is usually at or a bit past 10k. I know about the fuel dilution, but I've not done a UOA. Ford did a great deal of durability testing with dino 5w30 on long OCI's and the engine reportedly did very well. My wife typically drives 30 minutes or more, so I know it is getting good and warm, especially hauling around a big Transit full of kids. We'll see how it does, but I'm betting it will be just fine. I've also seen many F150's with 150k plus miles on them and many of those guys run cheap oil and go with the oil change light, so I'm not worried about it.

I am completely in love with this engine, btw. It blows my mind how it moves this big van around with authority. Of the line, and all the way to redline, this thing pulls hard. Even at 80mph, with the aero drag of the mid-height roof, the acceleration to pass is just stunning. The version in the van doesn't have the peak horsepower of the pickup truck version, either, so I'll bet it feels great in the F150.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
Just picked up a new-to-me 3.5L Ecoboost from Ford. Given that M1 rebate is in full swing at the moment, I was going to grab at least one OCI worth. I know that Ford spec's these with 5w30 and many people run that happily with 5k OCI due to fuel dilution... Would a 0w40 be a strong move on this motor or not? Has anybody seen evidence to stick with 5w30 instead?

FWIW, this vehicle will see mostly 15-25 minute commute times with some longer highway and shorter town trips mixed in. Daily. Year round. Oh and probably little to no towing
smile.gif

I would think the evidence would be that Ford engineers said 5w30 is best for the 3.5 eco boost or ignore that because I'm sure that all the testing that you have done shows you that 0w40 is better choice. It like when people say I don't trust 0w20 and put in 10w30.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Ford says 5w-30 put 5w-30 in it. Unless you want to go to school for ~8 years to earn a PhD.

Who needs a PhD 0w40 is what should be used trust me. JK It always amazes me that some guys want to change the viscosity just cause the can.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
Originally Posted By: buck91

smile.gif

I would think the evidence would be that Ford engineers said 5w30 is best for the 3.5 eco boost or ignore that because I'm sure that all the testing that you have done shows you that 0w40 is better choice. It like when people say I don't trust 0w20 and put in 10w30.
5W-30 works good enough for Ford and is CAFE driven. Everything about every late model vehicle is CAFE and emission driven.

0w40 should work fine in your engine but not necessarily better than 5w30. I would use the 5w30 and call it a day

Just throw the owners manual in the trash. Ford doesn't know anything.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Just throw the owners manual in the trash. Ford doesn't know anything.
There are some owners of certain year models that may think so.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You bought just the engine, or a vehicle with that engine?

Well, the engine came with a 2014 Explorer for shipping purposes and such
wink.gif

Is the Ford Explorer the one with the internal water pump that blows up the motor when it leaks and the cost makes it cheaper to buy a new vehicle before the warranty runs out?

First I've heard that, CT8. Its pretty much the same engine as the Taurus SHO. I think the F150 is uprated a little and of course thats a RWD architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back