4ft LED T8 replacement bulbs 6.97$

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased some in 4100k to try out.

I then returned them.

Despite being a "32watt replacement" they felt about half as bright.
also I prefer the 3500k color temp in the kitchen.

These might be good in a laundry room-frequent on/off

or garage where t8's dont like to fire up at 0F
otherwise.. too dim for me.

My 4 bulb fixture has 4 bulbs for a reason If I want it half as bright I'll just put 2 bulbs in it.
Its my main cooking light overhead by stove and sink. I use it around 1 hour per day.

link
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-4-ft-T8-17-Watt-Cool-White-Linear-LED-Light-Bulb-456590/206278131

They do require electronic ballast..

They wont work as direct wire.. or with magnetic ballast.. although they do work in t12 fixtures if you have a decent electronic ballast.

They might have their place.. just not in my home.
If they made these about 25-50% brighter in 3000k or 3500k color temp they would be ideal replacements IMO.

I would try in the garage but I dont really want less light. They probably would be better in the cold part of winter but I use the t8 lights in the garage ...maybe a few hours a month.. so kind of pointless.

I also have a 2/3rd's of a t8 4100k 12 pack in the basement.. they were 12 for 15$ or 2 for 7$ last time I needed 4 bulbs.

Very happy with the direct wire LED tubes I got from EarthLed. Was a good option when the ballast failed.

Much brighter than the other fluorescents in the garage but of course the fluorescents are not new.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Very happy with the direct wire LED tubes I got from EarthLed. Was a good option when the ballast failed.

Much brighter than the other fluorescents in the garage but of course the fluorescents are not new.

Cost? or link?

Right with ballast costs direct wire is the way to go usually(if you need a ballast).. and slightly more efficient.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

Cost? or link?

Right with ballast costs direct wire is the way to go usually(if you need a ballast).. and slightly more efficient.

They were $10.99 each, Luceco brand 4ft 24 watt 2400 Lumens 4000k. No sales tax for me.

They have lots of other options.

I bought ThinkLux from EarthLED to replace the T12 4ft I had in my kitchen, and they were a lot brighter despite being only 1/2 the wattage but the same color.

Are you sure it is not the color that make it dim? You might want to try a different color and brand.

I cut out the ballast and installed direct wire t8. Bought them from 1000 bulbs, real cheap, used 3500k in the kitchen, happy with them. Not the warmest color but not cold.
Im looking for my receipt, will post if I find exactly which one. Installed them early this year. They are as bright as the original t8 just a tad colder, my wife is good with them though, not to cold and she HATES cold lighting.

Link to 1000 bulbs

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with the plug-n-play 4ft T8 LED replacements, other than they won't work with all 32w T8 ballasts. Found that out some months back. I haven't head any complaints with the ones that bypass the ballast.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I don't have any experience with the plug-n-play 4ft T8 LED replacements, other than they won't work with all 32w T8 ballasts. Found that out some months back. I haven't head any complaints with the ones that bypass the ballast.

Agree, doesnt make sense to leave in a ballast for an LED bulb, it defeats half the puprose of an LED to begin with, except if someone is deficient with making simple electric connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back