H11 LED Headlight bulb disassembled - Pictures

For the curiosity in us (me) :LOL: I decided to disassemble a half dim H11 LED bulb to see what makes it... Light!. There is not too much going on inside of these LED bulbs. looks like a couple controllers, and 3 micro LEDs per side of the bulb for 6 micro LEDS total per bulb. The aluminum casing has a couple "heat sinks" attached for cooling of the motherboard... 3 "special" triangle shaped screws hold the case together.

IMG_4308.jpeg
IMG_4309.jpeg
IMG_4312.jpeg
IMG_4315.jpeg
IMG_4316.jpeg
IMG_4317.jpeg
IMG_4318.jpeg
IMG_4319.jpeg
IMG_4320.jpeg
IMG_4321.jpeg

I took apart an LED fog light bulb awhile back whose diodes had failed.

Looked a lot like yours, surprisingly well made. Had a seal to keep out water, the usual circuit board with lots of copper and thermal paste inside to conduct heat to the pot metal / aluminum chassis. If only the important part (LEDs) were worth a hoot.

So a bridge rectifier and a small constant current buck converter. Pretty conventional and maybe a couple of dollars worth of bits.

I concur it's a shame they don't spend an extra buck on quality leds. I guess for every one that doesn't wind up in landfill they lose profit on a sale, so it's better for them to have them last just long enough to make the buyer want another.

Edit : Nice pictures, thanks!

Back