Oil Reccomendation - 2009 Jetta 2.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so the FAQ sticky says this is the proper format. I've been using the search function and see a few things regarding VW 502.00 and a few things related to the diesel but nothing specific to the non TDI Jetta that I just bought.
Attempting to get as many miles as I can out of this old car.

1. What kind of vehicle you have - 2009 Jetta 2.5l
2. What your owner's manual says -- didn't come with one but sticker says VW 502.00 and the oil change before purchase was 5W-40
3. Where you live - Texas - summer usually 100+ winter only freezes a few days.
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) - easy...never above 80mph on the highway and normal in the city.
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)- 65 miles round trip M-F all highway. Multiple short trips during weekends.
6. Whether your car has any known problems - no known problems...good service record...

Any thoughts you guys may have are appreciated!

edit: 195,000 miles currently

Last edited:
Keep it simple with these oils from Walmart. They both meet the VW approval.
Mobil1 0W40
Castrol Edge 0W40

welcome2.gif

Hey thanks to all of you for the replies! This isn't as complicated as the PD TDI for sure! Also appreciate the filter recs. I believe at least some of them are available at NAPA.
See you guys around!

Originally Posted By: Chewi5150
Hey thanks to all of you for the replies! This isn't as complicated as the PD TDI for sure! Also appreciate the filter recs. I believe at least some of them are available at NAPA.
See you guys around!

The Napa Gold or Wix whatever are solid choices, as well. Napa also usually carries at least one of the German brands, usually Mann or Hengst depending on the application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: micmac
Walmart isn't one of the listed participating retailers on Mobil's site.

I have redeemed many Mobil 1 rebates over the past few years from Walmart and haven't gotten a single one denied, unlike SOPUS

2c: great oil recommendations above, but, dont support Walmart. Buy from somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Keep it simple with these oils from Walmart. They both meet the VW approval.
Mobil1 0W40
Castrol Edge 0W40

welcome2.gif

The secret to achieve the best results with the oil is to pour it into the engine using your left hand. It is like magic.

welcome2.gif

Like has already been said, M1 or Castrol 0w40, or Castrol 0w30. If you like Amazon, there's Mag1 5w40 which comes in clear bottles
smile.gif

Napa has a good selection of oils that meet the requirements, like Havoline Euro 5w40, Liqui-Moly 5w40, and Valvoline Synpower MST 5w40 (which is on sale for $4.99/qt this month).

Mann, Mahle, Hengst, or Wix filter. You can pick up a Napa Gold along with the Synpower
smile.gif

Like others have suggested, M1 0W-40 and a Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filter will do just fine. This is what I use in my wife's 2.5L Rabbit here in Houston.

robert

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
2c: great oil recommendations above, but, dont support Walmart. Buy from somewhere else.

Support Walmart - it's a great American company.

Thanks again fellas. Don't know why they put the 5W-40 in there. Probably just what the dealer has in bulk. Go figure.

Thanks again fellas. Don't know why they put the 5W-40 in there. Probably just what the dealer has in bulk. Go figure.

Well there are lots of 502 oils on the approved oil list that are 5W-40, but whether they used one of them is the question. Grade is pretty much irrelevant when the specification is met.

See you guys around!

You could use the same oil you use in a PD TDI. Oils that meet 505.01 almost always meet 502. In the various places I worked, if a VW came in, Valvoline 5w40 Euro would get ordered, and it meets 502, 505, and 505.01. Sometimes NAPA has it on sale for a great price.

As for saving money on filters, research websites that sell VW performance parts. They often have an oil change kit that includes all the oil you need, the correct filter, and a drain plug gasket at an excellent price.

5W40 is usually HDEO and is typically called for in most diesel engines. It's a very common diesel oil - Rotella T6, Delo, Delvac 1, etc. It will prolly do fine and may even carry the VW approval if you check the web site ...

There are about a bazzillion VW diesels out there bought second hand all running to end of life on HDEO of one kind or another ... It may not be perfect, but it's what Bubba knows to grab when they see a diesel engine come in ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back