Why is Mobil Delvac 1 so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a commercial account, at least not with Imperial Oil, oddly enough. Their pricing is just pretty decent to all customers.

As for pails, well, I'd buy it in pails if I could. I have to buy cases, instead, at least for the 5w-40. Other grades are available in different sizes. If I asked for one jug of Delvac 1, they'd probably show me the door.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Dak27
I just noticed the price on Mobil Delvac 1 5w30 in the 1 gallon jug at the Truck Stop while I was getting a pm service done on my Semi Truck; it is pretty pricey, at least for my wallet.

I'd like to try either the Rotella-T6 or Chevron Delo 400 synthetic 5w40 in my Detroit during the coldest months of Winter, but I've used nothing but Delvac Super and Delvac Elite, and had really good results with both. My concern is switching brands may result in additive clash.

Is additive clash a real concern or an old wives tale?

Truck stop is the last place to buy any oil. Their prices are criminal, even for conventional oils.

I'd like to try either the Rotella-T6 or Chevron Delo 400 synthetic 5w40 in my Detroit during the coldest months of Winter, but I've used nothing but Delvac Super and Delvac Elite, and had really good results with both. My concern is switching brands may result in additive clash. Is additive clash a real concern or an old wives tale?
What would happen? Perhaps a slight uptick in wear metals? Nothing catastrophic is going to happen--there are people on this site (gas and diesel) who change brands like the direction of the wind and their engines continue chugging along. If you want to try it, give it a go.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I just noticed the price on Mobil Delvac 1 5w30 in the 1 gallon jug at the Truck Stop while I was getting a pm service done on my Semi Truck; it is pretty pricey, at least for my wallet.

I'd like to try either the Rotella-T6 or Chevron Delo 400 synthetic 5w40 in my Detroit during the coldest months of Winter, but I've used nothing but Delvac Super and Delvac Elite, and had really good results with both. My concern is switching brands may result in additive clash.

Truck stop is the last place to buy any oil. Their prices are criminal, even for conventional oils.

Absolutely, Tired Trhcker. I buy my gallon jugs for topping off at Walmart. And as most other Truckers, I stock up on the road for everything else at Walmart.

T6 and Delo 400 synthetic is priced roughly $8 to $10 dollars more per gallon jug than conventional at Walmart. Figure we have close to a 10 gallon capacity in our motors, the added cost adds up. I don't ever see the semi-synthetic Mobil Elite 10w30 stocked at Walmart, but they do stock the T5 and Delo 400 10w30 semi-synthetic oils. I called my local Mobil Distributor in Salt Lake City for the price on gallon jugs of Delvac Elite 10w30, and their price was barely cheaper than the over-inflated Truck Stop price, so I'll keep looking.

Seeing as we run the same motors, when you changed over to Schaeffer's, did you notice an increase in consumption at first? Is "Additive Clash" when switching brands truly a concern?

Thank you.

Changed over to Schaeffer 15w40 blend at around 100K miles. Nothing really changed except the oil held up better than the Delo I was using at first. Went over to Schaeffer 10w30 blend about 70K miles ago. Now at 551,000 miles on engine. No change in oil consumption, but oil seems to hold viscosity better and wear numbers dropped slightly. TBN doesn't fall off as fast as with the 15w40 blend. Same consumption... about an average 3 qts in 22,500 miles.

I see Mobil Elite 10w30 at T/A truck stops all the time. The Mack dealership truck lube shop I use to change my oil (I am just getting old and lazy) stocks Elite 10w30 in bulk and jug. I think they tack on a $5 per gallon surcharge over their conventional stuff. They charge about $10 a gallon for conventional Delvac on an oil change and $15 a gallon on Elite 10w30 in doing an oil change. Not sure of over the counter jug pricing. Will try and remember to ask the next time I go in there. Housby Mack in Des Moines, IA on I-80/I-35 at the 14th st exit on the top side.

Your Detroit is a 4-stroke right? If it's an old 2-stroke, you need to do as the manual says:

Start failures may occur at ambient temperatures < 0 °C when the engine is operated with SAE grade 40 oils.

If no start aids are available, oils of SAE grade 30 may be used as a short-term solution. At lower temperatures (-18 to -32 °C) oils of SAE grade 15W-40 may also be used. These oils must, however, comply with the specification API CF-2 and have a high-temperature viscosity of min. 3.7 cP at 150 °C.

The oil grade must be changed back to SAE 40 as soon as the temperatures allow to do so.

Spending all week in the truck then working on it during time off gets old quick.

Originally Posted By: CT Rob
Hi.I have a 05 Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9 has 113,000 mi,thinking of trying Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5-30 for next oil change (usually use t6 5-40).Any reason or reasons i shouldn't?Run 42 miles round trip to work mainly 40-55 mph roads with next to no traffic in the AM and little traffic in PM.Thanks.

For my 04 5.9 Dodge recommends 15W-40 or 5W-40. If you do any towing or hauling 5W-30 may not be a good choice. For your commute I think 5W-30 would suffice.

Originally Posted By: pb379
Are there any differences between these two? Has the formulation changed or is it simply new packaging? The one on the left is an older single gallon I got from NAPA and the one on the right is from a box of four I got from a different NAPA that came from the warehouse.
IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

I finally got to the different jugs for my oil change today. Here is a picture of each in a cap. They surely look different.
The older packaging is the one that looks a bit reddish. What do y'all think?

Thanks. Tired Trucker.

I guess it's all good

Quote:

There is only one Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40. Packaging does sometimes go through changes and color can be slightly affected by a variety of factors from batch to batch. I do not see anything alarming here and you should rest assured that you have the right product.

Regards,

Allan D. Craig
Americas Technical Help Desk
ExxonMobil Products Technology

Last edited:
Mobil 1 ESP can be expensive too if you don't shop it right.
0w-30 with 3.5 HTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back