Lightly used Wesfil WZ411 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again

Currently on painkillers so forgive me if I don't make perfect sense. This was used on a 2003 Mazda 323 SP20 for about 5-6000KM with Repco 0W-40. Replaced with the same model filter and Penrite HPR5 5W-40. Originally I intended the OCI to be about 10000KM but I thought the oil pressure switch was leaking so dropped the oil to replace it only to discover it was the knock sensor leaking goo. This is an oversized filter for this car.

I cut up a little brother of this filter last year which I was very happy with and again I'm very pleased with this one despite being used for half the distance. Lots of pleats spaced almost perfectly, solidly made, silicone ADBV and best of all - cheap. These can be had for ~AUD$5 (~$3.70USD) if you look in the right place. It's my understanding that silicone ADBVs were introduced sometime last year across the range which appears to work well as no oil escaped when the filter was removed and there was a fair bit in the filter which only came out after the can was stabbed.

Gallery (images are out of order because imgur's image arranging sucks) - http://imgur.com/a/57QsG

As noted, not a torture test oci/fci. However based on appearance, construction and price, looks to be solid filter. As for efficiency, the Asian oems are not noted for their efficiency, so I'd assume this to be at least as good in that respect.

Thanks for pics.

Chrismo thanks for the cut & post.

I'm using a Wesfil Cooper oil filter right now, I like it a lot more than the Repco filter I was using previously. With the same oil, the Wesfil seems less restrictive and helped to quiet down my start up noise.

A good filter for the price, and I like the blue colour too.

Where do you get them for ~$5 ? I'm paying more than that at AutoBarn.

The first link I posted of the WZ436 is a better indicator of the durability of these brand filters which is part of why I was praising it so much.

As for price my bad, realised I bought 6 for $40 from an ebay seller who seems to have removed all their listings now, so they'd be closer to $6.60/ea. Thought I paid $30 for some reason.

Autobarn can be pretty expensive with filters, I think I paid $12 for a WZ436 last year. Occasionally they have a special like this which is a good opportunity to stock up on if use one they're offering

409dc192cf.jpg

Also I'm sure I've seen a picture of a used repco filter with huge pleat waves which put me off them.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. Yeah that's what I paid for my Wesfil Cooper at AutoBarn. Nice filter, but I'm looking for a better price. I keep an eye on the catalogues (Repco, SCA, AutoBarn) and they often have oil on sale, but much less frequently oil filters.

Repco filters are the common ones on sale at about $8, but I don't like the way they make my car sound when cold. Lots of tapping until the oil warms up with a Repco, for me at least. The Wesfil are better in this respect.

Masters Home Improvement sell Valvoline filters for $10. They have a synthetic reinforced filter media, not sure what that translates to, but I would be willing to give one a go.

That $4 you showed is a good price, but I haven't been lucky enough to find them at that price yet.

Last edited:
Speak of the devil, Autobarn has WZ9, WZ79, WZ154, WZ386, WZ411 & WZ418s for $4ea inthe latest catalogue if you use one of those m8

Great !!
Thanks for letting me know. I use a WZ154, very happy with it, but last time I paid $12.

This time I will also pay $12, but I'll pick up three for that price.

Yes, I've just picked up some of these Wesfil Cooper filters at $4 each from the AutoBarn sale. Very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back