Purolator 10111 Red Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
1500 miles on oil filter. Car leaks oil and I ran out of that type of oil so i changed the oil and filter. Looks like a good step in the right direction for Purolator.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Crazyoildude... You need to switch your user name to FramFanBoy

Or maybe "Louverhater".
wink.gif

... Looks like a good step in the right direction for Purolator. ...

Yes, this filter looks good. Thanks for the C&P.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Crazyoildude... You need to switch your user name to FramFanBoy

Or maybe "Louverhater".
wink.gif

And away we go...
07.gif

It looks about the same as the old classic except for the louvers and red paint, to me. The louvers are hard to see but they look not opened well. What they needed to change was the strength of the media, can't tell that, hopefully they did.

i was never a Fram guy ever! I now use the Fram ultra because it is a good filter but that is the only Fram i will use at this point.
And Zee0six mentioned that i hate louvers and yes you hit that nail on the head i don't like louvers im old school the only reason why some filter companies use louvers in my book is to make people think they redesigned their junk filters from the ground up and also they hope if they slow the flow down and send some into bypass their cheap media may not tear.. for many many years they were built one way and all of a sudden someone reinvented the wheel.

Quote:
..Looks like a good step in the right direction for Purolator.

From what I can see, based on the pics, looks good. 1500 miles no torture test, but overall pleat appearance, tightness, uniformity and construction looks solid. If and when I choose to wade back into the Puro waters, the new ONE, will be the first. Having used the PL14610 for many Honda ocis and never having an issue, I'm open to it.

As for the continued babble about the use of louvers, I now consider it mostly hearsay driven tripe. Reading most other reasonable and knowledgeable contributors, that would seems to be a common thought too. It's not just Hastings that uses louvers, Clarcor/Baldwin, Champ and even OEMs like Nissan use them now. And a 'Champ now Fram Filtration' top tier filter, the Mobil 1 EP filter uses and has used louvers for some time. I can't remember ever seeing any complaints about them. That said, observing this thread I don't expect the babble to stop any time soon.

Thanks for the cut and post.

Need a better pic of the louvers. They don't look very opened, but the pic is fuzzy. The louvers are an issue with this brand, and who knows if anything else changed except the paint. It is clear the paint is now red instead of white. Maybe they hope people will not look at the name and Baldwin's good rep will cause a sale.

Frankly, at 1500miles it should look good, I would rather see one at 5000 or so... also was this a trouble prone one to start with? Isn't the 14610 one of the problem children, show me 10-15 of those with 5000 miles that look good and I might have some degree of confidence that something besides the paint and marketing has changed.

I notice on their facebook they answer a lot of questions > but never ones about torn media or closed louvers ... That tells me something right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back