Yes, Winter tires... Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: emg
Originally Posted By: krzyss
Modern studded tires (Hakkapellitta 8) are just noisy, dry performance is not that bad.

When I bought a set of winter tires a couple of years ago, the comparison tests I looked at were normally won by studded tires regardless of conditions. Noise and wet braking on asphalt were usually the weak points.

Though those were primarily European brands, and not at forty below zero, where the studs are no longer able to dig into the ice.

Studded tires are banned in most of Europe.
Interestingly, they are allowed in places where it gets really cold, and where studs do not make a difference anymore.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

No, they're not; only a few EU countries ban them. Though they're usually restricted to use during certain times of year.

Last edited:

No, they're not; only a few European countries ban them. Though they're usually restricted to use during certain times of year.

Last time I checked you cannot drive through West and Central Europe on them.
Nordic countries excluded, but again that is what I was referring.

According to this, most of the EU allows them, though a bunch of non-EU countries don't (I was thinking of the EU when I replied, not places like Kosovo). It says German bans them, but elsewhere I've seen claims that they're allowed.

http://www.conti-online.com/www/download...de/guide_en.pdf

Even the UK allows them, according to that guide, and they make little sense there.

Edit: just noticed that the title of the guide specifically says 'trucks and buses' so the rules may not be the same for cars. I'd assumed it was cars as it says some countries ban them on heavy vehicles.

Last edited:

According to this, most of the EU allows them, though a bunch of non-EU countries don't (I was thinking of the EU when I replied, not places like Kosovo). It says German bans them, but elsewhere I've seen claims that they're allowed.

Even the UK allows them, according to that guide, and they make little sense there.

Edit: just noticed that the title of the guide specifically says 'trucks and buses' so the rules may not be the same for cars. I'd assumed it was cars as it says some countries ban them on heavy vehicles.

I seriously did not look at those web sites. I drove a lot through EU when I lived in Bosnia, and it specifically says cars cannot have studded tires.
Winter tires on other hand are mandatory as are in Bosnia too, so it was not an issue. Not sure about tires for trucks and busses.

Many years ago I drove in Lake District in winter and there was ice on the roads.

I suspect Wales, Scotland may have conditions for studded tires. England - probably not. But UK includes them, at least for now.

Krzys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back